Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
He lost control the previous corner and was not set up for the next where he crashed because the bike had no throttle and way too much lean angle for the speed.

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He lost control the previous corner and was not set up for the next where he crashed because the bike had no throttle and way too much lean angle for the speed.
I was thinking exactly the same thing... he never settled onto his line through that corner, and that left him in a bad position for entry to the next. Yet another example of someone with more money than skill.

For a moment, I thought it might be the return of Desmo Dave. ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,252 Posts
Looked like the bike got ahead of him a corner ahead and he tried to ride it out. Given his meandering line prior to the last 2 corners and sketchy throttle control I also suspect he was either inexperienced or his mind wasn't on the ride. One of the guys on youtube noticed he was on track tires... can you even put enough heat into track tires to get them performing reasonably on the street?

Reactions: ProphetPVD

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
From the body mounted camera I think it’s pretty much impossible to judge much.

My guess would be based on the way he was picking up the speed it was a classic case of not knowing the road. A tight one snuck up on him and he just low sided. The Dragon is notorious for that because of the the number and variety of curves.

It’s always better to low side than panic and stand it up, especially on that road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Looked like the bike got ahead of him a corner ahead and he tried to ride it out. Given his meandering line prior to the last 2 corners and sketchy throttle control I also suspect he was either inexperienced or his mind wasn't on the ride. One of the guys on youtube noticed he was on track tires... can you even put enough heat into track tires to get them performing reasonably on the street?
Ya, sloppy lines on the first corner, not set up going into the left-hander, still on the brakes mid-lane when he tipped in... it broke free BAM before he had much lean angle. Slicks and/or braking & turning on a cold wet road could be the whole story... otherwise he might have eeked it out with scraped pegs and a monster dose of adrenaline.

As for keeping heat in the tires, 200+ mph on the back straight at Philip Island won't do it when the wind is up and it's below 20ºC. Track tires need to be pushed, they need a high percentage of high-friction contact time on the sides to keep them soft... probably why virtually nobody runs them on the street - that and the fact that they're illegal.

He does have a nifty-looking suit though... he looks fast....

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
So, ..... when the pavement is damp, the temp is coolish and we're running slicks on a public road.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Ummm, ..... he was only going 36 MPH when he crashed.

I didn't know you could crash a V4 at 36 MPH.

Reactions: gunnermg748S*

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Ummm, ..... he was only going 36 MPH when he crashed.

I didn't know you could crash a V4 at 36 MPH.
Yeah I noticed that. He was definitely not going overly fast. Normally when a Ducati V4 crashes you see a swarm of Michelin techs huddled around the bike afterwards too...

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not that these aren't slippery when cool... Lord knows the street biased Diablo Rosso Corsa's I have on my R grip like a mud wrestler trying to snag a greased pig when it's not 75 plus degrees out, however, I do want to give this dude some credit and point out that if you look closely he is actually on a pair of Diablo SuperCorsa SC's, which are technically a street legal track tire, or at least that is how Pirelli markets them.

Pirelli Diablo SuperCorsa SC

·
19,081 Posts
How did you determine what tires he was running from the video? I think I read somewhere that the V4 comes with the Supercorsa SP. A little different and more street oriented but still track capable. SC’s need tire warmers. SP’s don’t.

And there are corners on the Dragon where 35mph is fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
19,081 Posts
He was still in the throttle. Still had plenty of lean for the bike and in his head. Seems cold tire to me.
You're right, he never closed the throttle. I still think he was not expecting the turn to tighten up. Now lets figure this out. Where on the Dragon is this sign? I was just up there last week. I don't think I've ever noticed the sign before.

There's certainly no place on it to have a drink!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How did you determine what tires he was running from the video? I think I read somewhere that the V4 comes with the Supercorsa SP. A little different and more street oriented but still track capable. SC’s need tire warmers. SP’s don’t.
I noticed the tread pattern from the video... I knew that the V4 wears Pirelli's and when I started looking at pictures of their motorcycle tire tread patterns the first one I saw that matched the ones in the video was the SC. Now that I see the SP I'm thinking you are most likely correct. Regardless, as I pointed out, the Diablo Rosso Corsa's I have on my bike are slippery enough when the weather is anything but toasty warm, and they only have to deal with a measly 112Hp.

And there are corners on the Dragon where 35mph is fast.
Truth...

·
19,081 Posts
Is this turning into a tire thread? I love tire threads. :nerd:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts