Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Thanks for your info, folks. I’m erring towards Pirellis, probably Rosso Corsas, but it doesn’t get any less confusing. There seem to be:
Rosso Corsa II
Rosso Corsa III
Rosso Corsa IV
Which is which, for what? Is the Diablo Rosso Corsa any different, or is it then same tyre?
Supercorsas (in all the SC1, 2, & 3 compounds)
Supercorsa Evo(?)
Do you still get Dragon Corsas? What are they in relation to the above, then?
Not too worried about rain performance, I’ve got the Hyper on Roadtecs for that.
Well, if this helps, anything with the "Diablo" moniker is more track oriented, i.e. you can do a track day or two, and less oriented toward long wearing highway stuff. That's why you have "Diablo Rosso Corsa," "Diablo Rosso IV," "Diablo SuperCorsa," etc.

As far as the differences, I can tell you what I think but I don't know if it's right as I have limited experience based on the SuperCorsa SP V3. There's no EVO that I have seen but there is a "TD" which is a track day version.

Anyway, I'd like to not be someone who speculates and rather someone who shares knowledge based on experience so I'll stop there. That said, I am sure that enough people here have ridden the variations outlined that we can compare notes.

I will buy a set of Diablo Rosso IV's for one of my bikes this year and report back. Based on Pirelli's literature, it seems like the SuperCorsa tire but with the compound dialed specifically for road use as opposed to the Supercorsa which, again per Pirelli, seems to be a track compound tire that's treaded to be street legal. I suspect it will translate to have a lower temp envelope which would offer better grip for road performance but we will see.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Thanks for your info, folks. I’m erring towards Pirellis, probably Rosso Corsas, but it doesn’t get any less confusing. There seem to be:
Rosso Corsa II
Rosso Corsa III
Rosso Corsa IV
Which is which, for what? Is the Diablo Rosso Corsa any different, or is it then same tyre?
Supercorsa Evo(?)
Not too worried about rain performance, I’ve got the Hyper on Roadtecs for that.
so that's a progression of the tyre, they started with a Rosso Corsa, improved it and called it the Corsa II and so on, buy the newest generation that's available.
The Rosso Corsa series is a Diablo Rosso tyre carcass and tread pattern with a softer (supercorsa?) compound. What i really like about them is the front profile, it's more rounded than the super corsa which has a more pronounced triangular profile for maximum contact patch at full lean, for the track. The Diablo Rosso Corsa III (which i have) has soft edges and a harder centre, when ridden you can clearly see the difference in the rubber and they are amazing on the road, the tread pattern is the same as the std Diablo Rosso so it's good enough in the wet, it's certainly not a touring or sport touring tyre, it's a sport tyre for fast road use.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Well, if this helps, anything with the "Diablo" moniker is more track oriented, i.e. you can do a track day or two, and less oriented toward long wearing highway stuff. That's why you have "Diablo Rosso Corsa," "Diablo Rosso IV," "Diablo SuperCorsa," etc.

As far as the differences, I can tell you what I think but I don't know if it's right as I have limited experience based on the SuperCorsa SP V3. There's no EVO that I have seen but there is a "TD" which is a track day version.

Anyway, I'd like to not be someone who speculates and rather someone who shares knowledge based on experience so I'll stop there. That said, I am sure that enough people here have ridden the variations outlined that we can compare notes.

I will buy a set of Diablo Rosso IV's for one of my bikes this year and report back. Based on Pirelli's literature, it seems like the SuperCorsa tire but with the compound dialed specifically for road use as opposed to the Supercorsa which, again per Pirelli, seems to be a track compound tire that's treaded to be street legal. I suspect it will translate to have a lower temp envelope which would offer better grip for road performance but we will see.

The only versions of Supercorsa i've seen (in australia though) is the SP which is the std fitment to super bikes, and then there's the true track stuff, SC0, 1,2 and X the X is specific for philip island use here, i've not seen a TD.

The Diablo Rosso Corsa are fitted std to Panigale 959

·
Smut peddler
1,144 Posts
Tires are such a cool discussion. Since I started doing track days, it's kind of been a weird obsession. I bought a infrared temp gauge, and checked at various points to see what is going on, and it's pretty interesting. The overall consensus from the guys I meet at the track is the Dunlop Q3 (and it's successors). I'd have to say that for a mix of road and track days, they are spot on. Seems to heat up fast and has an acceptable (to me) lifespan. In reality, it think it's pretty hard to go wrong these days. Tires are pretty good.

Except Michelin. Fuck them.😁

Reactions: vanduc996

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Tires are such a cool discussion. Since I started doing track days, it's kind of been a weird obsession. I bought a infrared temp gauge, and checked at various points to see what is going on, and it's pretty interesting. The overall consensus from the guys I meet at the track is the Dunlop Q3 (and it's successors). I'd have to say that for a mix of road and track days, they are spot on. Seems to heat up fast and has an acceptable (to me) lifespan. In reality, it think it's pretty hard to go wrong these days. Tires are pretty good.

LoL, I love your Michelin comment!
I agree, once you determine which catagory of tire is right for your needs, basically any tire in that category from the main manufactures (Michelin, Dunlop, Pirelli, Metzeler) are going to be good tires.
I will say that there is a difference to be had between the profiles of various tires from the various manufactures. After years of riding Pirellis I thought I'd give something new a try and went for the Dunlop Q2 because they had a very reasonable price and I'd only read good things about them... I HATED them! They had a really triangular profile, and after the progressive turn in of a Pirelli I felt like I was loosing the front on turn in. The bike would just DROP in. I rode them til they were done and eventually came to trust the grip from the front, but I was always riding on trust rather than actual feel for the front end, which, obviously, isn't how one wants to ride.
So they all do grip pretty darn good these days, but the feel can vary

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Rosso Corsa II
Rosso Corsa III
Rosso Corsa IV
Supercorsa Evo(?)
For some reason I missed this post..
It is a little confusing regarding the Rosso and Rosso Corsa tires..
The Rosso series ( as mentioned earlier, now just released as a 4 ) is mainly meant as a road tire. Of course you can ride it at the track, but it's compounds are specifically formulated for the road ( quick warm up, good in the rain ).
The Rosso Corsa series ( currently available as a 2 ) is a road/track day tire meant for quick, ideal condition road riding and occasional track day riding. Basically for the rider that likes both road and track day riding but only has one machine and tire combo for both purposes. I think it's a great road tire for "spirited" road riding. The Rosso probably has enough grip for any dry road situation, but I know the Corsa does. It has oodles of confidence inspiring grip in the dry, and enough in the wet to get you home safely

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Corsa II ( 2 ) you mean. Corsa III has not yet been released
I clarify for the OPs purposes so he's not confused with the Rosso III (3), which is soon to be replaced by the Rosso IV (4)
yes, thanks, have a Rosso III on the rear and a Rosso Corsa II on the front.(y)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

I do track days on my CBR600RR, it's a supersport bike so i run supercorsa tyres rather than full slicks, they're awesome on the track, i use SC1 and SC2, not the road version.
I set my tyre pressures off the warmers at 27psi for the rear and 34psi for the front, and leave it at that for the day/weekend.
My mate is always pissing around with his temp gun and pressures, no idea why, mine wear evenly, really well actually, he has all sorts of trouble, i suspect he has dodgy tyre warmers....

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Pirelli don't do themselves any favours by having such a confusing product line-up. I'm sure it's all obvious once you've learned all the permutations, but it can be off-putting.
My basic requirement is to be able to pootle happily along at socially-acceptable speeds like a good boy, yet feel safe knowing that my tyres have enough warmth and grip in them to dive confidently into a set of knee-down corners without having reservations that the tyres need a bit of warming up first.
It looks to me like Rosso Corsa II or III (can't get IV yet) may be up to this requirement, plus handle the odd 'ride-to' track day as well?

"Except Michelin. Fuck them.😁" - Priceless 👏

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,162 Posts

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
diablo rosso 3 or 4 - road sports tyre
diablo rosso corsa 2 - better sports/track tyre
supercorsa - sports/better track tyre

·
8,162 Posts
Have you tried the Conti's?

·
8,162 Posts
I use them on all 6 bikes... that's all that connects me to the planet when I'm riding so I don't count the pennies.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,218 Posts
I have the Bstone S22s on my 749. Great tire. No complaints.

·
comrade moderator
27,163 Posts
S22's on my Tuono. Love 'em, will run 'em on the track and will buy 'em again.

If I had spare wheels I'd put RS10's on them but it's gonna be a giant compromise with only one, maybe two track days this year.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts