Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I've put on my tin helmet, ear-defenders and flame-proof goggles and now I'm going to ask a tyre question. And not a safe one either.
I've been using Supercorsas on my 998 for several years and been nice and happy, as I've been doing several trackdays per year and find them great for road and track. I do like to get my knee down a bit on the road, see, and I've never had a significant moment on the road with Supercorsas.
However, I do get a bit conscious of the need to get and keep a bit of heat in them, which leads to riding a bit fast a lot of the time. This is becoming less socially acceptable, especially with the number of dash-cams in use nowadays.
I use Metzler Roadtecs on my Hypermotard, which also never scare me and heat up pretty instantly, but I'm just a bit less confident on them right over on the sidewall and also I don't think they would be suitable for full track sessions on my (tuned) 998. I like Pirelli and Metzler profiles, though I run a 180/60 rear on the 998 which seems to turn in a little more nicely.
It's years since I did thorough tyre research and I've lost contact with what is the hot-poop nowadays.
So, to condense this down to a question, what I want is the best road knee-down tyre that doesn't need warming up a lot and can cope medium-brisk track usage. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
238 Posts
OK, I've put on my tin helmet, ear-defenders and flame-proof goggles and now I'm going to ask a tyre question. And not a safe one either.
I've been using Supercorsas on my 998 for several years and been nice and happy, as I've been doing several trackdays per year and find them great for road and track. I do like to get my knee down a bit on the road, see, and I've never had a significant moment on the road with Supercorsas.
However, I do get a bit conscious of the need to get and keep a bit of heat in them, which leads to riding a bit fast a lot of the time. This is becoming less socially acceptable, especially with the number of dash-cams in use nowadays.
I use Metzler Roadtecs on my Hypermotard, which also never scare me and heat up pretty instantly, but I'm just a bit less confident on them right over on the sidewall and also I don't think they would be suitable for full track sessions on my (tuned) 998. I like Pirelli and Metzler profiles, though I run a 180/60 rear on the 998 which seems to turn in a little more nicely.
It's years since I did thorough tyre research and I've lost contact with what is the hot-poop nowadays.
So, to condense this down to a question, what I want is the best road knee-down tyre that doesn't need warming up a lot and can cope medium-brisk track usage. Any recommendations?
I like pilot powers. It was the first tire I used and just kept using them. Never had issues. No idea if they’re better than yours or not.

If I’m not gonna push hard and do a lot of touring I’d get pilot roads for mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Ya, i think the Corsa 2 is the answer you're looking for..
I mean, they don't heat up instantly, but I assume the knee down corners aren't right outside your garage door either.., by the time you get to them a Corsa 2 will allow you to live your best Ducati life ;)
As far as I've read they're pretty good on track. I haven't tried them there yet.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Get a set of Dunlop Q3+ tires. You will thank yourself....

Reactions: Pard and LA2SD

·
Registered
1993 750SS
345 Posts
I've been riding on Q3 pluses for the past 3-4 years, and they did not disappoint. I switched over to Michelin RS' a month ago, and they feel solid, but the crown of the tire doesn't feel as pronounced as on the Q3 (e.g., tipping the bike into a turn isn't as easy). I haven't tried Pirellis yet, mostly b/c of the cost factor. I always look for a good deal on tires.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,192 Posts
Try Contis.Best tyre I've ever used, have them on all six of my bikes.
No one wants to follow me as they are so sticky they throw rocks out the back like air gun pellets.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
I like pilot powers. It was the first tire I used and just kept using them. Never had issues. No idea if they’re better than yours or not.

If I’m not gonna push hard and do a lot of touring I’d get pilot roads for mileage.

Pilot Power 2CT is perfect for this platform on the road. I have on every single one of my 916 gen road bikes. They heat up quickly, have exceptional grip on a wide variety of conditions, and you don’t have to ride the bejesus out of them to keep heat in them.

here are some pics of some of mine.

D66C12E2-93D9-4A15-8787-1B95B6DE551A.jpeg
AC2C96ED-FF63-498D-9E22-92478CF67080.jpeg
C6823B8A-C4EA-445B-9F07-363D359A0D9A.jpeg
D66C12E2-93D9-4A15-8787-1B95B6DE551A.jpeg

Attachments

Reactions: Pard

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone for your input, it's great to see there are so many good choices. So far I've narrowed it down to Rosso Corsas, Corsa 2s, 2CTs, Contis, Q3s ,Q3 pluses, Racetec RRs and Avon Roadrunners (I used to have them on my LCs).
Interesting that the 2CTs get a lot of good press - a lot of my fast friend use 2CTS. However, they were on my Hyper when I got it, and I never felt comfortable ragging her properly until I replaced them with Roadtecs.
Vanducc - " ........ I assume the knee down corners aren't right outside your garage door either" - I used to live at the top of an excellent swoopy hill with 6 knee-down corners. My old TL1000S had Metz M3s on and I'd be sparking through the first corner (remember Ti-sliders?) within a mile of leaving the garage. I did crash 3 times on that hill though :rolleyes:.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,192 Posts
I'd discount any tyre that isn't a steel belt radial for road use,
The 2ct's are woe fully un-resistant to punctures and there is sfa thickness left when they are nearly done.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
For full transparency, I am debating trying the new Diablo Rosso IV’s this year on my 996R to try them out.

I use Supercorsa on my Superleggera and two Desmosedici’s but those bikes generally are ridden on certain occasions where I know I’ll be getting them hot enough. I do like them a lot but I have the same issues as the OP in getting them hot enough for proper grip with road use. The temp envelope in which they operate is just so high for road use.

I figure if the rosso IV feel similar to the SC but get to temp earlier and hold the temp better then that’s worth a try. Obviously, the shortcoming would be for something like very high temp use like repeated track days on the very aggressive side. But I’ve used 2CT at the track and never had any issues.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I used to live at the top of an excellent swoopy hill with 6 knee-down corners. My old TL1000S had Metz M3s on and I'd be sparking through the first corner (remember Ti-sliders?) within a mile of leaving the garage. I did crash 3 times on that hill though :rolleyes:.
Ha! Well, my bad for assuming!
Like Sherpa, you might want to give the new Rosso 4 a try then. Being more road biased then the Corsa2 they'll warm up faster on the street.
They probably won't be as good at the track as the Corsa2 though. But that's me assuming again..

·
Registered
06 999R RAD02, 06 999R, 06 999.
375 Posts
For full transparency, I am debating trying the new Diablo Rosso IV’s this year on my 996R to try them out.

I use Supercorsa on my Superleggera and two Desmosedici’s but those bikes generally are ridden on certain occasions where I know I’ll be getting them hot enough. I do like them a lot but I have the same issues as the OP in getting them hot enough for proper grip with road use. The temp envelope in which they operate is just so high for road use.

I figure if the rosso IV feel similar to the SC but get to temp earlier and hold the temp better then that’s worth a try. Obviously, the shortcoming would be for something like very high temp use like repeated track days on the very aggressive side. But I’ve used 2CT at the track and never had any issues.
I put Rosso III on my 999 and I loved it. Still debating with myself if I'm going Rosso IV or Rosso Corsa II on my 999R. Would love to hear your thoughts on the IV if you go for them.

·
Registered
924 Posts
And just for a different slant. I use Michelin Pilot Roads. I ride only on the roads as there are no racetracks in western Norway and it rains a lot here. Not good at getting my knee down. These tyre even inspire confidence in me in the wet.

Oh yeah, laser traps don't work in the rain. Handy to know!

·
Registered
238 Posts
And just for a different slant. I use Michelin Pilot Roads. I ride only on the roads as there are no racetracks in western Norway and it rains a lot here. Not good at getting my knee down. These tyre even inspire confidence in me in the wet.

Oh yeah, laser traps don't work in the rain. Handy to know!
Pilot roads are great in the rain. After last nights accident I’m considering switching back to them. Ironically the reason I switched back to pilot powers was because I slipped with a knee down in 2016 on a dry road (possibly with some leaves).

Do you want to crash in the wet or the dry? lol

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Diablo Rosso Corsa.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for your info, folks. I’m erring towards Pirellis, probably Rosso Corsas, but it doesn’t get any less confusing. There seem to be:
Rosso Corsa II
Rosso Corsa III
Rosso Corsa IV
Which is which, for what? Is the Diablo Rosso Corsa any different, or is it then same tyre?
Supercorsas (in all the SC1, 2, & 3 compounds)
Supercorsa Evo(?)
Do you still get Dragon Corsas? What are they in relation to the above, then?
Not too worried about rain performance, I’ve got the Hyper on Roadtecs for that.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts