Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent hours this weekend draining the tank on my 1999 ST2, removing the fuel pump assembly and installing new submersible high pressure hoses to replace the crumbling old hoses. I also replaced the fuel filter with a NAPA unit as recommended in LT's manual. Because the diameter of the NAPA fuel filter is less than the original, it is necessary to clamp the filter to the ?air separator? over the bead in the center of the filter, thus raising the plastic canister slightly and placing some tension of the formed hose which attaches the separator to the base of the fuel pump assembly.

The bike is running perfectly now. However, today I looked into the tank with a light and found that the black formed hose from the air separator (I'm not sure if that is the correct term for it) to the base plate has popped off. I have circled the hose and connection in the photo below.

There were no clamps on the hose. I'm REALLY not excited about tearing the tank apart again to reconnect the hose, but I fear that if I reach in with a forceps and push the hose back down on the assembly plate, it will only be a matter of time until it pops off again.

How crucial is this connection? What exactly does the plastic canister attached to the fuel filter do? Do you have any suggestions for correcting the problem short of draining the tank and taking everything apart again?

·
Registered
142 Posts
i would put a clamp on there if i were you. just for a bit of insurance. however i think that's also the low pressure side of the fuel pressure regulator if i recall so the likeliness of it coming off isn't very good. i don't like to use zip ties myself in the tank as fuel will melt them.

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the concensus is that I have to drain the tank and remove the entire assembly again? I'm still curious as to what exactly the plastic canister accomplishes and why my bike seems to run perfectly with the hose disconnected.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
If the hose disconnected from the bottom, that is the pressue regulator so I would indeed get it hooked back up if it was me. Eventually you will have an issue. Strange that it came off but since you had it apart and believe there is a little more tension on there you might want to lower the filter a little. There is some room to work with the NAPA filter and I don't think you will need to clamp it if you aleviate the extra tension. You other option is to get a longer piece of hose.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts