Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1761 - 1780 of 1792 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Nice. If you are uncomfortable with the seat height, the Ducati Performance seat is a little lower.

Reactions: hognhominy

·
Registered
7 Posts
The 1st gen hyper is one of the most reliable Ducs ever made.
A lot of the problems you might have heard of come from water-cooled models with complex electronics.
The 1100 hyper is as simple and raw as it gets. Less complications = Less problems.
Rawness is one thing many of us hyper riders love about it. But it has some down-sides if you lack riding experience: No ABS, and an abrupt engine response that requires subtle throttle control.

Have you rode the thing?
It is a completely different animal if you compare it to the Guzzi. The 1100 hyper can be quite intimidating for a newbie.
I highly recommend that you ask for a test ride before deciding. You will either fall in love with it right there, or decide to stay away from it.
Im glad the owner let me have a spin on a parking lot. Tho its a small area but MAN I was able to tame the beast, or at least control its wildness. Dry clutch rattling like xylophone to my ears. I think im in love with the thing

·
Registered
7 Posts
Terekaki, have you ridden off road or MX in your biking past? This would help a lot with the seat height; being a new rider and 5’-6” can be a challenging combination with this bike. To your overheating question; this shouldn’t be an issue at all being air cooled and in stock nick. I agree with ego’s comment about reliability relating to complexity and electronics. Yeah, a test ride is definitely in order, hopefully you and the seller can work something out. Good luck.
The owner was nice enough to let me have a spin around a parking lot, and MAN! it was a joy to ride!! Apart from some slight fuel injection delay issue which can be dealt with longer engine warming, it controls faster than you can imagine, in other words, look way ahead, because if I think, the thing would bite.
I think i LOVE it

·
Smut peddler
1,043 Posts
@Terekaki The hyper will be a great addition to your v9. I'm inseam challenged as well, so at stoplights, I'm always one footing it MX style. Never had a problem with that. One of the best mods is the fork spring mod (I got mine from Lindeman eng). The stock marzochis tend to dive (if you are looking at a standard). This is a cheap and noticable fix. The hyper is a different animal, I've been riding for almost 40 years on one thing or another, and I've yet to find a bike that matches it's character and quirkiness.

·
Registered
7 Posts
@Terekaki The hyper will be a great addition to your v9. I'm inseam challenged as well, so at stoplights, I'm always one footing it MX style. Never had a problem with that. One of the best mods is the fork spring mod (I got mine from Lindeman eng). The stock marzochis tend to dive (if you are looking at a standard). This is a cheap and noticable fix. The hyper is a different animal, I've been riding for almost 40 years on one thing or another, and I've yet to find a bike that matches it's character and quirkiness.
My small parking lot test drive proved that the best can be tamed with delicate throttle control. A short open tap and brake test reveals what you said, probably a character of the Marzocchi forks. I think I’m falling for it

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I had the 2008 1100S and it had the Marzochi forks with the Ohlins shock. The Marzochi forks on the S would dive as well. I replaced the springs like you and it felt way better. It was even noticeable pushing the bike around in the garage with the new springs. Definitely worth the investment if it hasn't already been done.

Dave

·
Registered
665 Posts
Back in 07 before cartridge kits were developed for the Hyper, my S had a terrible head shake. Suspension Guru nailed it down to the forks high speed compression damping being too hard. So we switched to a much lighter weight oil and I dialed in the clickers. The compression damping adjuster works predominately on low speed damping IIRC.
So from memory, the way it worked out (I'm a 100kg+ fitted out) the spring was close to correct for my weight. The dive under brakes was ok, but the front tyre would squirm if I ran less than 32psi.
Will have to see how it all works on my 2008 HM I just bought.

I should mention, a firm but COMPLIANT suspension action is paramount for the goat tracks our gummint promotes as major roads.
The slightly longer travel on a Hyper (compared to sports bikes) is perfectamundo for this.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had the 2008 1100S and it had the Marzochi forks with the Ohlins shock. The Marzochi forks on the S would dive as well. I replaced the springs like you and it felt way better. It was even noticeable pushing the bike around in the garage with the new springs. Definitely worth the investment if it hasn't already been done.

Dave
I am old and fat, 200 lbs without gear, and I have major fork dive on braking. When I bought my '08 it was incredibly harsh on the road so I ended up backing everything to full soft. Non S hyper, thinking I could adjust a few things but since I did the full soft the tendency for head shake is gone where before it wanted to start that off at bumps over 90 mph...not that I ride that fast :) I am sure this has been asked a zillion times but what springs or valve kits are recommended for a bike like mine ridden by someone way past their prime?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I am old and fat, 200 lbs without gear, and I have major fork dive on braking. When I bought my '08 it was incredibly harsh on the road so I ended up backing everything to full soft. Non S hyper, thinking I could adjust a few things but since I did the full soft the tendency for head shake is gone where before it wanted to start that off at bumps over 90 mph...not that I ride that fast :) I am sure this has been asked a zillion times but what springs or valve kits are recommended for a bike like mine ridden by someone way past their prime?
That would be a question best posed to the experts. I believe that I too, went to Lindeman Engineering for my springs and recommendations.

One of your problems is with the valving. In and of itself it isn't completely horrible but like posted above, going with a lighter oil gives the valving new life. It seems that the valving is a little tight under the stock oil and therefore causing your harshness. This I can guarantee as long as your forks are stock because the stock forks are spring for someone around 150lbs, which you're not, and neither was/am I. So you wouldn't be getting harshness from the springs fo sho. You proved that by opening up the valving to soften everything to make it tolerable.

I realize that you feel as though you are old and fat, but I promise you that changing the springs to heavier ones and getting the proper oil installed in those forks and you will feel much better while putting around on your Hyper with your large self, haha. :)

Dave

P.s. I'm 220lbs :)

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Just checking in since I'm getting back to physically being able to ride after injuries from different events kept me off for a few years. I'm mostly a lurker but will offer up advice or even services as time allows.

I got in my shop last night for a couple hours giving the HM a quick once over, bodywork still off, change the plugs, fresh gas and wasn't difficult to start. I hadn't been on it since the crash in the esses at Road Atlanta in 2015. I couldn't resist going up and down my block a couple of times............ almost needed a cigarette afterwards and I don't smoke. Plan is now to give it a true service to put it back on track this year (it's a track only machine). I didn't even take the cover off the superbike sitting next to it :)

·
Smut peddler
1,043 Posts
I remember somebody putting AN fittings and nice braided lines to their oil cooler. I'd like to do that, anyone have the part #s for all that? Would I have to get the lines made?

·
Registered
499 Posts
I remember somebody putting AN fittings and nice braided lines to their oil cooler. I'd like to do that, anyone have the part #s for all that? Would I have to get the lines made?
Search out a member called Comfysofa - he did the install and posted up where he got the kit. Lots of other nice stuff on his HM too.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I use Fren Tubo and get the oil cooler lines here: Ducati Hypermotard 1100 EVO

Buying a Fren Tubo kit choose among 4 kinds of types: - Type 1 steel braided hose with steel fittings; - Type 2 steel braided hose with red/blue Aluminum fittings; - Type 3 kevlar braided hose with red/blue Aluminum fittings; - Type 4 carbon braided hose with Aluminum black fittings.
Kit includes everything you need for a correct installation.
On demand, type 1-2- type can be supplied with colored Sleeves; available colors are: Clear, Black, Blue, Red, 3 type can be supplied with Blue, Red or Yellow nylon covering.
On demand, type 2-3 type can be supplied with full Blue, full Red or full Black fittings.

·
Registered
Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP Corse
101 Posts
what 2v cams are actually still available? the DP cams seem to be NLA everywhere,

Kämna, NCR seem to be available.

Kämna recommends MBP collets, advertising extended service life with use, what is failure of stock components?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Here’s the final 3D printed version. Fits great and uses the original size hardware. Now I gotta figure out the best way to make it out of aluminum

Ok. So if you want to keep your original handguards and still have a bar end slider I have the solution. I have access to a CNC now and I can make a set of these in aluminum or Delrin. Pricing will be around $70-$100 depending on how many orders I get in a batch. Below is a pic of some that I made for my Minimotard in 6061 Aluminum for reference . Please message me if interested so that I can know how many are interested for the best pricing.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Ok. So if you want to keep your original handguards and still have a bar end slider I have the solution. I have access to a CNC now and I can make a set of these in aluminum or Delrin. Pricing will be around $70-$100 depending on how many orders I get in a batch. Below is a pic of some that I made for my Minimotard in 6061 Aluminum for reference . Please message me if interested so that I can know how many are interested for the best pricing.

Thank you

Dave94,

Can you make them with a groove for bar end mirrors too??

Dave

·
Registered
84 Posts
Finally ready to install. They turned out really nice. I like how the shape just flows through the handguard mount and uses the original Ducati hardware. I’m happy with them and just in time for a few track days this month

1761 - 1780 of 1792 Posts