Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1741 - 1760 of 1792 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
From the photo of the broken piece it looks like some kind of cheap cast pot metal. You can see if it is magnetic. If it is, then it likely isn't stainless steel. Most good quality stainless is non magnetic. Where are you located? I can TIG weld almost anything.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Hey all! I’m looking to buy a 2010 Evo SP from a local guy. Does anyone have an idea on a realistic value for the bike? The bike is a single owner and seems to be spotless in pictures, but I’m going to see it in person tomorrow.
Did you get it? what price?

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
From the photo of the broken piece it looks like some kind of cheap cast pot metal. You can see if it is magnetic. If it is, then it likely isn't stainless steel. Most good quality stainless is non magnetic. Where are you located? I can TIG weld almost anything.
Nor are they attracted by a magnet. Being "magnetic" means the material has magnetic properties, what "magnetic" does not mean is that it has ferrous content (iron content). Iron is attracted to magnetic fields, BUT it is not naturally magnetic. Tools are made of steel (which is refined iron), and they are attracted to magnets, but they are not magnetic. If they were magnetic, they'd all be stuck to each other and the tool box.

Most good quality stainless steel is not attracted to a magnet ... but that is not to say that most quality stainless steels are not magnetic.

There is a very distinct difference between being magnetic, and being attracted to a magnet. It's important to know and speak the difference. Good TIG welders know this, in fact they MUST know this, since magnetic fields cause arc blow and arc wander, and can even interfere with starting an arc at all.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Nor are they attracted by a magnet. Being "magnetic" means the material has magnetic properties, what "magnetic" does not mean is that it has ferrous content (iron content). Iron is attracted to magnetic fields, BUT it is not naturally magnetic. Tools are made of steel (which is refined iron), and they are attracted to magnets, but they are not magnetic. If they were magnetic, they'd all be stuck to each other and the tool box.

Most good quality stainless steel is not attracted to a magnet ... but that is not to say that most quality stainless steels are not magnetic.

There is a very distinct difference between being magnetic, and being attracted to a magnet. It's important to know and speak the difference. Good TIG welders know this, in fact they MUST know this, since magnetic fields cause arc blow and arc wander, and can even interfere with starting an arc at all.
Wonderful explanation !!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I suppose I should check in. I've had a 2008 1100 since new. I've only done 44,000km with no real problems at all. It has the race pipe and seat and a bit of other carbon. The pipes to the oil cooler are horribly rusted and one of the for seals is weeping. The front wheel looks a bit ordinary from where my dog kept peeing on it. I had a new Barnett clutch put in at around 40,000. I posted elsewhere that I had check engine light with the code was 11.2 for the coil on the vertical cylinder but the bike was running fine. It went out a couple of times and then came back on for months. I read that it can be a bit of corrosion on the plug to the coil. It was difficult to get at but I managed to unplug it and spray with contact cleaner. Made no difference. New battery , made no difference. I then left the bike sitting for over a month due to COVID and when I restarted ... no check engine light. Its been off for a week now. Probably come on tonight but I'm wondering if the spray did the trick but I was unable to reset the light. Letting the bike sit for a month caused it to time out or whatever.

Occasionally I contemplate getting an FTR1200 or 950SP, but then I take the 1100 for a ride and think "Why bother".

·
Registered
226 Posts
...Occasionally I contemplate getting an FTR1200 or 950SP, but then I take the 1100 for a ride and think "Why bother".

View attachment 990330
Exactly!!! Recently picked up a well-cared for 2007 CBR600RR. Decent mileage but with full maintenance records, recent valve job, tires, and major service 😊.

There’s a long line of goodies such as brembo 19 rcs; woodcraft; newer Q3+’s.

She passes the 5ft test but any closer and you can see her age and the attempts of poor aesthetic repairs from tip overs (zip ties) and various cracked plastics.

The seller included nearly two full sets of brand new fairings still wrapped and in the box as well as some cnc rear sets and smattering of extras. It was too good to pass; so much so my wife barely batted an eye at the rare second bike in our garage.

Short story long; I’ve been farting around town past few days on the CBR and took the hyper out yesterday = 😁😁😁. What a beast! No comparison in terms of torque and fun factor; handling is sublime.

Now, don’t get me wrong, the CBR is no slouch but IT IS NO HYPERMOTARD.

The CBR600RR will sit in the garage while I get her to near showroom with all updated bits and mount all the new fairings etc. She’ll get the occasional cruise around the twisties and track day, but my heart will only belong to the hyper. 😍

·
Registered
7 Posts
So I came across a chance to own an original HM. Was looking for advise and found myself reading this thread. I think I’m at the right place to clear my queries.

The bike in question is a 2007 HM 1100s, 8000km on clock, one previous owner, only parked indoors and selling for HKD$50K, around $6250. With insurance and registration around HK1500 it seems like a great deal ( MOT is not required for bikes here)

My question now is this
-I’m a newbie rider only half year since I got my license ( I’m 166cm (5’6?) tall)
-only ever bike I own is a Motoguzzi V9 which I love and not selling
  • previous owner looks after it over the years and uses the same mechanic I did for my V9
  • is it reliable machine?
  • i always heard that Ducs always overheat and prone to mechanical/electronic problems. Does that apply to HM?
if anyone can give me heads up I’m forever grateful

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,144 Posts
So I came across a chance to own an original HM. Was looking for advise and found myself reading this thread. I think I’m at the right place to clear my queries.

The bike in question is a 2007 HM 1100s, 8000km on clock, one previous owner, only parked indoors and selling for HKD$50K, around $6250. With insurance and registration around HK1500 it seems like a great deal ( MOT is not required for bikes here)

My question now is this
-I’m a newbie rider only half year since I got my license ( I’m 166cm (5’6?) tall)
-only ever bike I own is a Motoguzzi V9 which I love and not selling
  • previous owner looks after it over the years and uses the same mechanic I did for my V9
  • is it reliable machine?
  • i always heard that Ducs always overheat and prone to mechanical/electronic problems. Does that apply to HM?
if anyone can give me heads up I’m forever grateful
The 1st gen hyper is one of the most reliable Ducs ever made.
A lot of the problems you might have heard of come from water-cooled models with complex electronics.
The 1100 hyper is as simple and raw as it gets. Less complications = Less problems.
Rawness is one thing many of us hyper riders love about it. But it has some down-sides if you lack riding experience: No ABS, and an abrupt engine response that requires subtle throttle control.

Have you rode the thing?
It is a completely different animal if you compare it to the Guzzi. The 1100 hyper can be quite intimidating for a newbie.
I highly recommend that you ask for a test ride before deciding. You will either fall in love with it right there, or decide to stay away from it.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Terekaki, have you ridden off road or MX in your biking past? This would help a lot with the seat height; being a new rider and 5’-6” can be a challenging combination with this bike. To your overheating question; this shouldn’t be an issue at all being air cooled and in stock nick. I agree with ego’s comment about reliability relating to complexity and electronics. Yeah, a test ride is definitely in order, hopefully you and the seller can work something out. Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Looks like all things point to considering one at a later point in life lol.
I never rode MX or off road before and the seller is quite against a test ride.
Guess I’ll hang around reading and fingers crossed on my next encounter

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Looks like all things point to considering one at a later point in life lol.
I never rode MX or off road before and the seller is quite against a test ride.
Guess I’ll hang around reading and fingers crossed on my next encounter
Most times, if you have the full cash payment on hand when you go to look at the bike, how can a seller really say no? If you crash it or otherwise damage it, you pay the full asking price.

Dave

·
Registered
Hypermotard 1100 EVO SP Corse
101 Posts
Evening gents, I'm looking for a 1100 EVO SP (prefer Corse) in Socal if anyone sees one that needs a loving home

Thanks for the help folks, I believe I have found my next steed.

Waiting for delivery, should be next week-ish. I can't wait.

I wonder what time Zard opens...

1741 - 1760 of 1792 Posts