Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1721 - 1732 of 1732 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I made the mistake of riding my friends ‘19 Hyper with Termis today, as small as our oil cooled bikes are this bike is much smaller. It really disappears beneath you, turns much quicker and punches out of corners suprisingly hard. I was grinning ear to ear the whole time, such a fun bike. On the old bikes you ride the wave of torque and this thing felt like it gave up nothing in that department as long as revs were higher. That said, when is Ducati going to stuff a proper 150hp Vtwin in a hyper chassis?
Have not rode a new HM, so my take is worth less than $.02, but not surprised the new bike is incredible. The difference, IMO, lies in the look, feel, and smell. The original bike is well, original. Outclassed in every performance metric, but there is a reason why old metal (cars, bikes, bicycles) have a following. I could sell me '08 HM and use the money to buy something modern that outperforms in all the measurable physics. I bought my HM for the measurements that cannot be calculated on a slide rule. YMMV.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I made the mistake of riding my friends ‘19 Hyper with Termis today, as small as our oil cooled bikes are this bike is much smaller. It really disappears beneath you, turns much quicker and punches out of corners suprisingly hard. I was grinning ear to ear the whole time, such a fun bike. On the old bikes you ride the wave of torque and this thing felt like it gave up nothing in that department as long as revs were higher. That said, when is Ducati going to stuff a proper 150hp Vtwin in a hyper chassis?
Those are interesting findings. I thought it felt heavier and the power was too fluffy. I did appreciate the changed ergos though and the improved fit and finish.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Hey guys. Question...
By any chance any of you have any remains, pieces, bits... laying around of the oem handguards?
I’m trying to put a set together for my 821 and I’m only missing a couple of things but mainly the left handguard with mirror.

It doesn’t matter if they have the broken tabs, I’ll figure it out. I’ll pay shipping and a case of beer, or two, or cash, but not trying to spent to much😁

·
Registered
2008 Hypermotard 1100S
58 Posts
Those are interesting findings. I thought it felt heavier and the power was too fluffy. I did appreciate the changed ergos though and the improved fit and finish.
yeah, I guess its all subjective. This bike had Termis and updated ECU and I thought the ‘mass centralization’ was evident. Super flickable to me. The TFT display is impressive and I had a ‘18 Triumph Street Triple R that i thought had a nice screen,.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Took the bike out to the canyons by the beach for the cooler weather. Malibu CA. Rode with a Husquvarna 630 SMR and a Yamaha FZ-09

I went on a little ride through the Malibu Canyons a couple of weekends ago too. Only mine ended badly.

We were on Old Topanga Canyon on a tight 180* turn.

I was bike number 3 out of 3. Bike 1 had warned us both of the upcoming tight turn on the Cardo several turns before we reached it. As we entered the turn, I knew that it was the one he was referring to. There was about a 2 car spacing between bikes 1 and 2 and about a 1.5 car spacing between bikes 2 and 3 (me). As we rolled through the turn, bike 1 trail braked a little to ensure that he stayed on his side of the line on exit. Bike 2 was apparently watching bike 1 and not the road because when he saw the brake light, he panicked and grabbed a handful, almost coming to a complete stop. Bike 3 noticed bike 2 coming at him out of the corner of his eye, because I was looking at the inside of the turn, and grabbed the brake to try to avoid. I hit the rear tire of bike 2. I could see his tread pattern, that's how stopped he was when I hit him. My Hyper stoppied a little and I could not regain control. The bike fell on its left side where the only real damage was the bar end mirror, the frame slider, and the shifter nub, making shifting a PITA.

Fortunately, the corner was posted at 15 MPH and we were prolly doing maybe 30-35 rolling through, certainly not pushing it. I hit the ground probably doing 10-12 MPH.

I'm still pretty pissed at my buddy for grabbing the brakes. The two guys argued as to why he did it. Bike 2 says that he grabbed the brakes because bike 1 did, and then questioned why bike 1 did it. Clearly bike 2 has a lot to learn.

I have a few bruised and possibly fractured ribs, but I'll survive....

Dave

·
Registered
64 Posts
Oh man!! I know that corner really well. It's much easier in my opinion if you're headed towards Mullholland vs coming away from Mullholland..I always run a little wide in one direction. Sounds like thankfully you had slowed down enough or you'd have worse injuries. I have to admit I do ride my buddies pretty damn close in order to get the action footage on camera and you really have to know your friends riding habits and communicate well via Sena etc... Glad nether you nor the bike got hurt badly.

I went on a little ride through the Malibu Canyons a couple of weekends ago too. Only mine ended badly.

View attachment 988489

We were on Old Topanga Canyon on a tight 180* turn.

View attachment 988490

I was bike number 3 out of 3. Bike 1 had warned us both of the upcoming tight turn on the Cardo several turns before we reached it. As we entered the turn, I knew that it was the one he was referring to. There was about a 2 car spacing between bikes 1 and 2 and about a 1.5 car spacing between bikes 2 and 3 (me). As we rolled through the turn, bike 1 trail braked a little to ensure that he stayed on his side of the line on exit. Bike 2 was apparently watching bike 1 and not the road because when he saw the brake light, he panicked and grabbed a handful, almost coming to a complete stop. Bike 3 noticed bike 2 coming at him out of the corner of his eye, because I was looking at the inside of the turn, and grabbed the brake to try to avoid. I hit the rear tire of bike 2. I could see his tread pattern, that's how stopped he was when I hit him. My Hyper stoppied a little and I could not regain control. The bike fell on its left side where the only real damage was the bar end mirror, the frame slider, and the shifter nub, making shifting a PITA.

Fortunately, the corner was posted at 15 MPH and we were prolly doing maybe 30-35 rolling through, certainly not pushing it. I hit the ground probably doing 10-12 MPH.

I'm still pretty pissed at my buddy for grabbing the brakes. The two guys argued as to why he did it. Bike 2 says that he grabbed the brakes because bike 1 did, and then questioned why bike 1 did it. Clearly bike 2 has a lot to learn.

I have a few bruised and possibly fractured ribs, but I'll survive....

Dave

·
Registered
64 Posts
BTW...we also had a crash this past weekend. It was just on our way to ride Decker canyon and the guy ran wide and hit the dirt. Pretty new rider but he was geared up nicely and walked away with no injuries.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
BTW...we also had a crash this past weekend. It was just on our way to ride Decker canyon and the guy ran wide and hit the dirt. Pretty new rider but he was geared up nicely and walked away with no injuries.

Hmmm...new rider and he took off chasing the lead guy at his pace. It's hard to tell the new guys that they need to ride their own pace when they tend to watch others in front of them for guidance on the turn. In those cases, you are better of designating someone to lead the new guy at a safer pace than the rest of the group.

Case in point; I went for a ride with a MeetUp group called Inland Empire Sportbike something or other. Most of them, and especially the founder/leader of the group, are older guys that have money now and have been running canyon all of their lives. They are FAST and smooth. The first time I rode with them, the leader dude stayed in the back, in front of me and lead me at a lower pace than the other three guys were going. Knowing that this guy was the group big wig, I didn't try to pass out of respect and not knowing if they roll that way. Once he figured out that I could hang, he went back to the front and we all had one hell of a ride. It's been status quo ever since now that I have proven myself to them. It's not meant to be demeaning or insulting. It's meant to ensure that the group doesn't have to endure a tragedy of someone going down because they were riding over their head.

Just a thought. Not sure how new some of your guys are.

In my case, the bike 2 guy is known to be slower and flakier than I. I was asked by the guys that weren't there, "why was he in front of you?" Truth is, I put him there because the bike 1 and 2 guys ride together all of the time and I didn't want to step into their riding clique if they had a usual flow. I figured that I would just hang back and enjoy the ride. I never expected bike 2, or anyone else for that matter, to almost come to a complete stop in the middle of the turn.

Big fun....

Dave

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah we had just met the guy for the first time. Dainese outfit, no chicken strips and a Husky 630 SMR.... I misjudged completely. Turns out he had just bought the bike recently I like your idea of having someone to follow at a more reasonable pace in the canyons.... that crash though was just on the way to the ride spot lol. We hadn’t even gotten to the fun part which was Decker canyon. Guy that crashed is super nice. Taken some classes already, bought good gear and learned a lot on that ride starting with ride at your own pace no matter what once you heal up let’s hook up for a ride !

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Yeah we had just met the guy for the first time. Dainese outfit, no chicken strips and a Husky 630 SMR.... I misjudged completely. Turns out he had just bought the bike recently I like your idea of having someone to follow at a more reasonable pace in the canyons.... that crash though was just on the way to the ride spot lol. We hadn’t even gotten to the fun part which was Decker canyon. Guy that crashed is super nice. Taken some classes already, bought good gear and learned a lot on that ride starting with ride at your own pace no matter what once you heal up let’s hook up for a ride !
Yeah, I'm all for that. I really wanted to ride the Malibu canyons that day. We were going to go to Neptune's Net for lunch because I have never been, but that didn't happen. I haven't been in those canyons in a few years either so I was excited after making the long trip out there from the IE. Maybe we can plan a day and you guys can show me around out there. The bike is almost ready, waiting on the shift lever to arrive. Two of them actually. I ordered a Hammerhead one with a folding tip but it was too short. They contacted me and are sending an extended tip for free. Not sure if I will like it but I told them that I would give it a shot. I had already ordered a stock replacement lever though, so I guess I'll have two....

Dave

1721 - 1732 of 1732 Posts