Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1701 - 1716 of 1716 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I just picked up my second 08 Hyper S, this one in red with 1700 miles on the clocks and completely stock and like new condition. I guess the previous owner didn’t like riding it. He traded it in for a V4 Panigale. I had a black one that i tracked, toured, commuted on and as soon as i test rode this one all those good memories came flooding back. View attachment 985620
Nice score Congrats.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Considering purchasing a Gen 1 1100S Hyper. Will be my first Hyper but not my first Duc. However, I am also moving to AZ, where it tends to get hot, 3-4 months a year. Anyone has issues with these overheating? I know my 996 would fry me and some electronics at high temps.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Considering purchasing a Gen 1 1100S Hyper. Will be my first Hyper but not my first Duc. However, I am also moving to AZ, where it tends to get hot, 3-4 months a year. Anyone has issues with these overheating? I know my 996 would fry me and some electronics at high temps.
It was never an issue on some hot Cali summers I would notice a definite loss of power but AZ is another level of hot.

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,370 Posts
I agree with above. Hot florida summers in traffic, not a single hiccup. You will forget to gas up however, itty bitty tank.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,065 Posts
Make sure that the exhaust has been upgraded along with air filter and the right fuel map on the ECU.
That single mod makes the engine run a lot cooler than with the stock cans and ECU (stock map is too lean).

A larger oil cooler can also help (although not as much as the exhaust/ECU mod).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Question. Someone did an ADV conversion, then rode their hyper through the southwest, Zion if I remember coreectly. Which one of you tards was it? Got a buddy that rode my hyper, and thinks it would be great, would love to hear your opinion.
Here ya go. Mines too nice to make it into a real dirt runner, but I'd love to have a totalled bike to do this with.

·
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,707
I just picked up my second 08 Hyper S, this one in red with 1700 miles on the clocks and completely stock and like new condition. I guess the previous owner didn’t like riding it. He traded it in for a V4 Panigale. I had a black one that i tracked, toured, commuted on and as soon as i test rode this one all those good memories came flooding back. View attachment 985620
Wow, nice find, congrats! (y)

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
I'd doubt that you would ever have trouble riding on the street. I would say that you would probably overheat first. Just avoid riding inside the city at mid day. When I was riding the UTBDR in 2017 there was a section of it that I had already ridden before and I wanted to try a more challenging route that ends up at the same place. Unfortunately, it was during the heat of the day and the trail was much tougher than I had thought it would be. Ambient, according to my little Aerostitch gauge was 107 F, and my pace was more like a trials ride.

I have the Termi map, no cat, and my bike has the big oil cooler. I don't remember exactly, but I think that I was seeing 240 degree oil temps. This was fairly early in this trip and the bike did not hiccup a single time. Of course I service the bike often and have not had a single engine issue other that the starter solenoid. One thing you may want to consider is to relocate the regulator so that it gets more air flow as heat is not their friend.

Once I reached the ridge, this over hang was the only place I could find any shade, LOL

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Here ya go. Mines too nice to make it into a real dirt runner, but I'd love to have a totalled bike to do this with.
I'd say that if you ever did it, then it would probably ruin your street riding affinity. But, people have different reasons for riding. I love to ride, but I love it best when it shows me something special. There are special places that you can reach on tarmac, but generally, that's where everybody else is too. Looking at these pics again makes me remember what an awesome time that I had. IMO, the bike is there for you to enjoy by making you awesome memories. I value that more than the scratched plastics. Can't wait to go again.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I'd say that if you ever did it, then it would probably ruin your street riding affinity. But, people have different reasons for riding. I love to ride, but I love it best when it shows me something special. There are special places that you can reach on tarmac, but generally, that's where everybody else is too. Looking at these pics again makes me remember what an awesome time that I had. IMO, the bike is there for you to enjoy by making you awesome memories. I value that more than the scratched plastics. Can't wait to go again.

I've got a real dual- sport along with a VStrom. It's a non issue.

Sent from my Etch A Sketch

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,065 Posts

@Varmitcong I love hypers and I love the places you've been to riding one.

I've ridden a few off-road miles on the hyper myself:

But I agree with @Baroquenride. A dual purpose bike is better suited for the task for many reasons:

• A larger diameter front wheel provides more stability while turning on tough roads.
  • A cage-like frame protects the engine when you fall.
  • Off-road gearbox ratios and suspension provide a better riding experience
  • Dual sport bikes are designed to resist small crashes.
I'd rather use my hyper for spirited canyon carving:

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
@Varmitcong I love hypers and I love the places you've been to riding one.

I've ridden a few off-road miles on the hyper myself:
View attachment 986076

But I agree with @Baroquenride. A dual purpose bike is better suited for the task for many reasons:

• A larger diameter front wheel provides more stability while turning on tough roads.
  • A cage-like frame protects the engine when you fall.
  • Off-road gearbox ratios and suspension provide a better riding experience
  • Dual sport bikes are designed to resist small crashes.
I'd rather use my hyper for spirited canyon carving:

Oh I think that I may have posted that the wrong way. I agree with you guys regarding the best use and I wouldn't try to tell someone that they were using their bike wrongly. I bought my Hyper new in 08. I began doing a lot of track riding around that time (not on the Hyper). I sort of got bored riding the Hyper on the street, although I have a great place to ride here. When I quit the track I already had the Hyper and said, why not do dirt? I didn't have a dual sport bike and hadn't ridden any dirt in 31 years, LOL.

I suppose my enthusiasm is based on my assessment that it turned out much better than I ever thought that it would. With all the mods I've made, it still seems like the same great Hyper on the highway, but I can still go places that a lot of dual sport guys won't go. That is certainly the case with some of the big displacement adventure bikes. And, just being truthful, I am a shitty off road rider....and a rather shitty street rider too, so the bike is much more capable than I.

I crash the bike in the dirt a lot. So far it has been no big deal at all. The horiz pipe gets beat up, and I haven't found a good fix for that yet. Anyhoo, enjoy your Hyper, IMO it is one of the best bikes ever made.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,065 Posts
Oh I think that I may have posted that the wrong way. I agree with you guys regarding the best use and I wouldn't try to tell someone that they were using their bike wrongly. I bought my Hyper new in 08. I began doing a lot of track riding around that time (not on the Hyper). I sort of got bored riding the Hyper on the street, although I have a great place to ride here. When I quit the track I already had the Hyper and said, why not do dirt? I didn't have a dual sport bike and hadn't ridden any dirt in 31 years, LOL.

I suppose my enthusiasm is based on my assessment that it turned out much better than I ever thought that it would. With all the mods I've made, it still seems like the same great Hyper on the highway, but I can still go places that a lot of dual sport guys won't go. That is certainly the case with some of the big displacement adventure bikes. And, just being truthful, I am a shitty off road rider....and a rather shitty street rider too, so the bike is much more capable than I.

I crash the bike in the dirt a lot. So far it has been no big deal at all. The horiz pipe gets beat up, and I haven't found a good fix for that yet. Anyhoo, enjoy your Hyper, IMO it is one of the best bikes ever made.

I have to concede that the pictures you post are awesome!
The most unique I've seen of a Hypermotard.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Doing my share to keep this thread alive.....

I bought this from the original owner in the spring of '08. It will be bequeathed when I am done with it; hopefully many more (s)miles down the road.

·
Smut peddler
963 Posts
^^^Looks like you got all the bases covered for a fun time in that garage. Not sure aboot the sliders, most likely just smash the brackets in (would those parts come in contact if it was laid down?). I'd go with a solid peg setup if you were concerned. But let's just hope we never find out the answer. Have fun at the track. My lap times are faster on my hyper than my monster, lol.

1701 - 1716 of 1716 Posts