Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1521 - 1540 of 1549 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
My fork seals have begun to leak on my 2012 evo SP.

13k miles

I might as well take the shock out and rebuild it as well.

Is there write ups or rebuild kits you guys reccomend?

Thanks
Did mine a couple of weeks ago.... Very easy...take the forks out. Undo the tops... Drain the oil... Turn upside down... Big Allen key... Undo the bottom... Fork pretty well comes apart...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Reven R
48 Posts
Hey all, long time no see. Had a question for you guys...

So I live in Colorado, and i was dropping my bike off to get some work done and there is a guy that I started to talk to.

He has a 09 1100s with a fully built 100mm engine. Brian (the guy who built the motor) showed me the dyno specs. Thing made 109 hp 89 fp torque. Selling it for 6 grand

Has 10k miles on it, needs some little work done to it.

Should I pounce on this thing or stay away? I don't know much about motorcycles with built engines. But I know this was all professionally done.

Thoughts?

·
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,524
Hey all, long time no see. Had a question for you guys...

So I live in Colorado, and i was dropping my bike off to get some work done and there is a guy that I started to talk to.

He has a 09 1100s with a fully built 100mm engine. Brian (the guy who built the motor) showed me the dyno specs. Thing made 109 hp 89 fp torque. Selling it for 6 grand

Has 10k miles on it, needs some little work done to it.

Should I pounce on this thing or stay away? I don't know much about motorcycles with built engines. But I know this was all professionally done.

Thoughts?
When you say "it needs a little work" what does that mean? If that means the bike itself is pretty weathered from sitting outside a lot, or has damage from a low side or being dropped, I'd pass. If it's in nice shape and needs normal maintenance items and the engine is healthy, then go for it. Post some pics and to better help with your decision, take it for a test ride and report back. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
May wanna check for the dreaded tank expansion. Havent heard of it making a gas cap hard to remove but I could see it happening. Ya leave ethanol gas in it over the winter by any chance?
Actually it was my fault :eek: That "breather hose" that comes from the tank to bottom of the engine was stuck in the last attachment. I think there is evaporate canister in it in the USA. It looked fine but after blowing air to it, i figured out it was under pressure and the metal clip choked it. Routed it again and everything works fine :smile2:

·
Reven R
48 Posts
So by needs a little I mean the seals are at this point 10-11 years old. Forks and rear shock are a little leaky. Luckily, I just so happen to have a parts hyper with new fork seal and a rear shock I rebuilt.

Looking at it, it's never been laid down. Garage kept, probably witha cover on it, no dust. It hasn't really been ridden at all in 3 years. Which is why the guy is selling it. I totally agree with the test ride bit, I'll beat on it hard. If nothing breaks we're 100%

·
Registered
56 Posts
I adjusted chain tension and then the "Great mystery of chain tension" came back to my mind. Did it ever clear out officially which clearance was right ? I mean the 30-33mm that reads in the rear swing vs 38-42mm in the manual/service manual ?

·
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,528
So by needs a little I mean the seals are at this point 10-11 years old. Forks and rear shock are a little leaky. Luckily, I just so happen to have a parts hyper with new fork seal and a rear shock I rebuilt.

Looking at it, it's never been laid down. Garage kept, probably witha cover on it, no dust. It hasn't really been ridden at all in 3 years. Which is why the guy is selling it. I totally agree with the test ride bit, I'll beat on it hard. If nothing breaks we're 100%
Well, how’d the test ride go? Any pics? 🙂

·
Registered
56 Posts
I want to change OEM clutch&brake levers back. Previous owner has installed the2wheels levers and they have faded and don`t feel right. Does anyone have pic of the bolts that attach OEM levers to cylinders ?? I`m not sure are they same with aftermarket levers or do i have to find different bolts somewhere.

·
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,530 (Edited)

Happy 4th everyone. Went on a little ride in the late afternoon, I've discovered that there's usually not many people out on the roads on the 4th and makes for a good time to ride.

The ride also made for a little tribute in memory of Carlin Dunne I guess- I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little on 'edge' on this ride having it in the back of my mind. Man, I still can't believe he's gone. :(

Recently installed a Rizoma rear master brake reservoir.

Speaking of Carlin (and I know I've posted this video a zillion and a half times over the years) but answer me this, is that Carlin who's featured in the beginning in the office scenes? :eek: I learned the backstory to this video a couple of years ago which was that he made it for a college project and was the rider but it's never been clarified to me if that was him in the beginning scenes too. To sound ignorant, I see similarities but not a total match; could just be that I haven't seen as many photos of him in younger years.

·
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,532

·
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,536

·
Registered
431 Posts
Looking good, JB! Thanks for the pic! :smile2: Do you ride all year round?
Thank man! Yes, for sure. Winter riding is some of my favorite since there are less people out. I've been doing some amateur racing on my little crf150r motard and riding my dirt bike a lot, so the hyper hasn't seen much love lately. Did a good 200 miles on it last Saturday since the weather is finally stating to cool off down here. Left at 7am and was home for lunch >:)

·
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,538
Thank man! Yes, for sure. Winter riding is some of my favorite since there are less people out. I've been doing some amateur racing on my little crf150r motard and riding my dirt bike a lot, so the hyper hasn't seen much love lately. Did a good 200 miles on it last Saturday since the weather is finally stating to cool off down here. Left at 7am and was home for lunch >:)
Awesome! Sometimes those kinds of rides are the best! :smile2:

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Almost 50,000 on my GEN 1, 1100. Thinking about customizing it. Need to repaint the frame and the engine. Think I maybe tired of all red. Custom paint rims black and red, beak a glossy black, red and black combo on the tank. Tired of flat black and carbon, just dont know.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
431 Posts
Almost 50,000 on my GEN 1, 1100. Thinking about customizing it. Need to repaint the frame and the engine. Think I maybe tired of all red. Custom paint rims black and red, beak a glossy black, red and black combo on the tank. Tired of flat black and carbon, just dont know.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
How you did 50,000 on that stock seat is beyond me :grin2::grin2: In all seriousness, you could get someone to do a cool wrap job on the panels for ya. They can do some pretty rad graphics now a days and then you can always go back to stock if ya want

1521 - 1540 of 1549 Posts