Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1301 - 1320 of 1614 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Longtime lurker....

Ist off, thanks or all the amazing ideas/info in this thread!

I bought a 2012 EVO SP 2 years ago with a mere 700 miles on it. Had wanted a Hyper since I saw the concept pix from the Milan show.
I haven't done a lot to it yet other than ride the piss out of it, but it is truly the best bike I have ever owned. Commuting in the city, touring,
twisties, track days, it just does everything well IMO.

Mods so far:
• DP Comfort Seat
• MotoGadget Bar End Turn Signals + CRG Hindsight Mirrors ***(had a small tipover on ice and wasn't willing to drop $600 for stock setup)
• MotoLectric HiCap Wiring ***(installing next weekend)
• Hepco & Becker Side Bags
• Laminex Yellow Headlight Cover***(ordered after seeing complexCarlo's bike)

I have a 1996 900SS CR that I've had since new, which I love, but having spent my formative years on dirt bikes, the Hyper gets the most use by far!

Cheers!

·
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan
984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,302
Ist off, thanks or all the amazing ideas/info in this thread!

I bought a 2012 EVO SP 2 years ago with a mere 700 miles on it. Had wanted a Hyper since I saw the concept pix from the Milan show.
I haven't done a lot to it yet other than ride the piss out of it, but it is truly the best bike I have ever owned. Commuting in the city, touring,
twisties, track days, it just does everything well IMO.

Mods so far:
• DP Comfort Seat
• MotoGadget Bar End Turn Signals + CRG Hindsight Mirrors ***(had a small tipover on ice and wasn't willing to drop $600 for stock setup)
• MotoLectric HiCap Wiring ***(installing next weekend)
• Hepco & Becker Side Bags
• Laminex Yellow Headlight Cover***(ordered after seeing complexCarlo's bike)

I have a 1996 900SS CR that I've had since new, which I love, but having spent my formative years on dirt bikes, the Hyper gets the most use by far!

Cheers!
Thanks for chiming in and glad to hear the air cooled Hyper has exceeded your expectations! That’s was a great find for a 2012 with only 700 miles when you found it a couple years ago. Hope to see you around more often and be sure to post some pics when you can. :)

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,331 Posts
Was off on my math, I got it 3 years ago!.....time flies

Here it is after some on and off road riding...
Good looking bike, and the Corsa edition as well!

I would suggest covering up that oil cooler if you plan to go off the beaten path. Def one of the hypers most notable fail points. The smallest of rocks can lodge and thus destroy the poor thing in minutes.

Other than that, keep on brappin around the xmas tree!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Thanks!

Any others out there besides the R&G Guard?
I have the Evo Tech Performance oil cooler guard and its great. Here is a pic which shows it. Its big enough to fit the larger S model coolers as well

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey Carlo - the more I regret not being able to meet up and see your bike and study the pictures, I was wondering about the mount and bag you have on the tail. I was gonna buy that set of rear pannier holders a member was selling until I realized they would only mount with the undertail exhaust, and more importantly now with the 2:1 pipe a side bag wouldn't work anyway.

Makes for some appreciation of the newer Hyperstrada setup with easily removable bags and holders...

And after our trip I have a real appreciation for the Multistradas! Fancy stock farckles and trick gizmos but what a great bike. I loved the expressions on the rice rocketeers after they got passed by an Italian bagger; priceless.

I've been wondering if stuff from a Monster (or other model) would fit or easily adapt. Our next trip to the mountains may likely require a setup like you have there on my bike. I'd love to ditch the backpack.

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,331 Posts
Hey Carlo - the more I regret not being able to meet up and see your bike and study the pictures, I was wondering about the mount and bag you have on the tail.

@10SPcuL8R
Nothing special about it really. Just the Ducati Performance rear. Works with both undertail and 2-1 since it mounts to the rear tail fender. I actually have two racks and tailbags. Theyre not easily available :)

And after our trip I have a real appreciation for the Multistradas! I loved the expressions on the rice rocketeers after they got passed by an Italian bagger; priceless
Its a bike that needs no introduction. I was touring to Colorado and a couple 18-20 yr olds on their six hundos were merging onto the highway. After a few displays of speed were shown I pin it in 4th at about 70 and absolutely loose em. I dont remember ever seeing them again.
Our next trip to the mountains may likely require a setup like you have there on my bike. I'd love to ditch the backpack.
Its worth ditching the backpack over. It may look a tad silly on the bike but since I have the windscreen on it, I dont mind as it "fits" the purpose. Backpacks SUCK for hauling long distance. Cheers!

·
Reven R
48 Posts
Hey guys I need words of wisdom from you all. I want to put a turbo on my hyper. I moved out here to Colorado recently about a year ago or so and it absolutely sucks because of the altitude. I found a tread about a turbo kit but that was from 2010. Thoughts? Anywhere some of you can point me in the right direction? Or know anyone who's done it. Realistically probably wouldn't happen until I would say the fall or winter. But I'd like to get all my ducks lined up.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Hey guys I need words of wisdom from you all. I want to put a turbo on my hyper. I moved out here to Colorado recently about a year ago or so and it absolutely sucks because of the altitude. I found a tread about a turbo kit but that was from 2010. Thoughts? Anywhere some of you can point me in the right direction? Or know anyone who's done it. Realistically probably wouldn't happen until I would say the fall or winter. But I'd like to get all my ducks lined up.
I know someone has done it, i couldnt imagine a Hyper with a turbo, but at altitude it would be interesting to see what kinda numbers you could make.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Read the full thread; he successfully gets it working on rapidbike 90% to his satisfaction he says. There's good pictures of the process. There's a lot more options for tuning at this point, so you should be able to go with an engine management software that makes sense to your geographic location.

It's definitely doable...you can turbo anything, it just doesn't usually land on the logical side of things (not to deter you at all, illogical things can be pretty fun).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just picked up a 2011 hyper sp all stock with a sargent seat and Ducati performance mirrors plus stock hand guards. I've been looking for the air cooled hyper for about a year or two as my next bike. This popped up on Craigslist. Just happened to look online while in the office and he posted it the night before. Went to the bank to get cash and met the owner took it for a ride and made the deal. Only 3000 miles on it mint other than just a scratch on the wheel. First upgrade will be fender eliminator and full exhaust. Intake, Then expose the clutch. Bubye bank account. I really like the dual undertail so I'm thinking full Arrow maybe termis. I wish sc still made the full dual set up. Any other suggestions/recommendations? This bike is a blast to ride completely different from my street fighter.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
You need only to determine if performance is tour goal with exhaust vs. sound and/or looks. Then it comes down to what you can actually find; the manufacturers all but stopped making stuff these. It took me 4 months to find a NOS Termignoni full titanium 2:1 and that felt like a miracle. Everyone has a thought on best sounding or best performing (and you will want to upgrade the airbox and ECU tune to match). I happen to really like the deep, booming note that the Termis make. I can literally feel the ground under my feet vibrate when I start her up! Arrow definitely makes good quality stuff.

Congrats on the find - not a bad garage collection either...

·
Registered
435 Posts
Just picked up a 2011 hyper sp all stock with a sargent seat and Ducati performance mirrors plus stock hand guards. I've been looking for the air cooled hyper for about a year or two as my next bike. This popped up on Craigslist. Just happened to look online while in the office and he posted it the night before. Went to the bank to get cash and met the owner took it for a ride and made the deal. Only 3000 miles on it mint other than just a scratch on the wheel. First upgrade will be fender eliminator and full exhaust. Intake, Then expose the clutch. Bubye bank account. I really like the dual undertail so I'm thinking full Arrow maybe termis. I wish sc still made the full dual set up. Any other suggestions/recommendations? This bike is a blast to ride completely different from my street fighter.
Sweet bike, probably my favorite color combo on these bikes.

I'll vouch for Arrows quality and sound. I have the dual undertail shorty's on my lil hyper in black with carbon end caps and it has an excellent exhaust note. Lives up to the name "street thunder" for sure. Comes with baffels but ive never put them in after initial removal. Just sounds tooo good to dampen. They still make the dual undertail and I found mine or 20% off through Motovation USA a while back. I would try and knock the intake, exhaust and tune all out at the same time, the bikes run super lean from the factory.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You need only to determine if performance is tour goal with exhaust vs. sound and/or looks. Then it comes down to what you can actually find; the manufacturers all but stopped making stuff these. It took me 4 months to find a NOS Termignoni full titanium 2:1 and that felt like a miracle. Everyone has a thought on best sounding or best performing (and you will want to upgrade the airbox and ECU tune to match). I happen to really like the deep, booming note that the Termis make. I can literally feel the ground under my feet vibrate when I start her up! Arrow definitely makes good quality stuff.

Congrats on the find - not a bad garage collection either...
I think its gonna come down to sound/looks for the exhaust and I'm probably gonna order the corse dynamics intake kit. Undecided to get programmer or reflash ecu. For performance my streetfighter is a handfull already I have not ridden many bikes since I bought the streetfighter and I'm finally realizing its a pretty quick bike lol I just got used to it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Shout out to the members here AGAIN! I did finally get the correct stator from Rick's, installation was straight-forward from there and the numbers for charging are back to spec. But I remembered coming across a thread way back before I bought my hyper that the owner's manual and actual value for the amount of oil weren't exactly alike. It would have been pretty easy to overfill had I just rushed into it with Ducati's number at 3.8 litres and trusted that. 3 quarts of Amsoil was all I needed including pre-loading the oil filter before I twisted that on. Thanks to the heads-up on the volume and I was watching my level at about 2.5 Q, ran the motor to temp whilst checking electrical values, and topped off to final level after the engine cooled.

jonsyp - you sound like you're in exactly the spot I was when I bought mine several months ago. Sifting through this thread and the Hall of Wisdom, and honestly even some other sub-forums like the Monsters, has been an incredible resource. Heck invaluable. I still poke them with a stick when I have trouble finding info I need, and these guys have been tremendous!

·
Registered
662 Posts
But I remembered coming across a thread way back before I bought my hyper that the owner's manual and actual value for the amount of oil weren't exactly alike. It would have been pretty easy to overfill had I just rushed into it with Ducati's number at 3.8 litres and trusted that. 3 quarts of Amsoil was all I needed including pre-loading the oil filter before I twisted that on. Thanks to the heads-up on the volume and I was watching my level at about 2.5 Q, ran the motor to temp whilst checking electrical values, and topped off to final level after the engine cooled.
Funny you should mention that. I recently had my bike in for a major service, assumed everything was good and just rode it.

After a couple of thousand kms though, I noticed she was running significantly hotter than I would have expected for the ambient temps. A quick check revealed that the oil had been filled way over the sight glass, let alone the ‘max’ line. When I pointed it out to the shop, they said they “always fill with 3.5L on these motors”. Anyway, I syringed about half a litre out of the sump to get it back to the ‘max’ line, the temps went back down and promptly forgot about it.

Fast forward a couple of thousand kms to last week, doing my regular once-over and I noticed the oil level is down to mid-way between the lines. That’s a worrying drop over such a short distance, so I’m going to keep an eye on it to see if it stabilises at that level or it keeps losing oil. The bike has otherwise been running well so I hope it’s not too serious.

·
Registered
58 Posts
draining fuel tank

Going Through 2008 Hyper 1100s I recently purchased; saved the best ( air and fuel filters) for last. Anyone have any tips or tricks for an easy way to drain the fuel tank? Any tips/suggestions appreciated!

·
Registered
913 Posts
Going Through 2008 Hyper 1100s I recently purchased; saved the best ( air and fuel filters) for last. Anyone have any tips or tricks for an easy way to drain the fuel tank? Any tips/suggestions appreciated!
I find that a heavy right hand will drain the tank in no time:) But this is from the
Ca Cycle Works install manual if you want to try it.

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
I find that a heavy right hand will drain the tank in no time:) But this is from the
Ca Cycle Works install manual if you want to try it.
Yeah like hypermo said, the method described by Ca Cycleworks is very effective. If it helps, I took the attached screencap from one of Ca Cycleworks’ installation videos. It shows exactly which terminal to short to the battery activate the fuel pump (it was for my own benefit when I installed the big pump - I’m a dunce when it comes to auto electronics).

It does help if you’ve ridden most of the fuel out of the tank beforehand.

(Alternatively, I’ve heard of people running a tube from the outlet to an offboard drill-powered pump. I don’t see why that wouldn’t work, but you’d need to mate the outlet of the fuel pump to the inlet of the offboard pump. Shorting the fuel pump is far easier and quicker.)

Attachments

1301 - 1320 of 1614 Posts