Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1627 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Love my air cooled 1100. I normally get bored of bikes and cars rather quickly, but this thing just gets me going every time I get on it.
I think the fact it feels angry and unrefined keeps me enjoying it, bikes that do everything properly and smoothly just get boring for me!

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,339 Posts
Can't speak to newer Ducatis but I doubt I'll be buying anything newer anyway. Ducati seems to have lost their way and none of the new bikes really stir me.
Totally feel you on that one. After riding almost all the current Ducs out on the market right now, the Multistrada will be my last Ducati purchase. Been toying with the idea of going BMW for my mid-life crisis :)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Totally feel you on that one. After riding almost all the current Ducs out on the market right now, the Multistrada will be my last Ducati purchase. Been toying with the idea of going BMW for my mid-life crisis :)
Lol, I swear I physically fit better on a BMW but somehow I just can't see it being as fun :)

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Checking in. I don't post a lot usually and only a few on the forum probably actually know me.

My HM was totalled out by the insurance company last July when a Suburban pulled out in front of me. Only a couple things broken on me and more on the bike but I still bought it back from the insurance company and am building a track only Hyper out of it. It will be my #2 track bike and probably turn into #1 after it's all said and done. I don't usually post thread builds but might on this one as it's been a lot of cool and different things going on with it.

I tried to ride my 748 at Jennings on Dec 30 and could only do three laps before pulling in. I could ride but didn't feel comfortable with strength and didn't want to be a hazard for other riders. I started riding my mini bike (XR100) again in March and have been progressing pretty good. I can actually ride the bigger bike now but haven't been to a trackday to check my level yet. I hope to have the Hyper back together possibly by US Desmo Barber event later this year.

I agree with some of the statements here about the first gen. It is definitely a bike with character. Before my accident I was at about 80% track riding and 20% street so I figured might as well make it 100% track. Plus none of the new models seemed to excite me as a street bike that would only get ridden to Indy and in the mountains once in awhile.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Also checking in. Fell into my HM and couldn't be happier, I did not think I was going to enjoy this bike as much as I do and it makes a great commuter bike.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Checking in. I don't post a lot usually and only a few on the forum probably actually know me.

My HM was totalled out by the insurance company last July when a Suburban pulled out in front of me. Only a couple things broken on me and more on the bike but I still bought it back from the insurance company and am building a track only Hyper out of it. It will be my #2 track bike and probably turn into #1 after it's all said and done. I don't usually post thread builds but might on this one as it's been a lot of cool and different things going on with it.

I tried to ride my 748 at Jennings on Dec 30 and could only do three laps before pulling in. I could ride but didn't feel comfortable with strength and didn't want to be a hazard for other riders. I started riding my mini bike (XR100) again in March and have been progressing pretty good. I can actually ride the bigger bike now but haven't been to a trackday to check my level yet. I hope to have the Hyper back together possibly by US Desmo Barber event later this year.

I agree with some of the statements here about the first gen. It is definitely a bike with character. Before my accident I was at about 80% track riding and 20% street so I figured might as well make it 100% track. Plus none of the new models seemed to excite me as a street bike that would only get ridden to Indy and in the mountains once in awhile.

Post up a biuld thread when you have time, would be keen to see what you do to it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
thanks

Just got my '08 1100. LOVE IT!!! Ive had an arm ripping Tuono Factory, KTM's but none are as smooth and nimble as this thing. Thanks for the warm welcome everybody. This forum has already helped me!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm going on a year with my '08 1100s and I love it. I just did my belts and valves this winter as well as a Leo slipon and DP ECU. It is do much fun to ride and I love the sound of the uncorked 1100.

My paranoid self hears a rattle that seems to be coming from the front between 4k and 5k rpm's. Makes me think I made a couple opening shims too loose on the exhaust side, but the sound isn't there below or above that rpm range. Anyone else have this or is it all in my head? I've shook and bumped everything to try to find the source but have come up empty.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I would also like to see a build thread. I have yet to run mine at the track, but plan on it before the end of the season.
It is much easier to ride than my SBK on track, although not as fast. If you do it, I suggest setting your suspension up for it to your liking depending on your riding style and just enjoy it for what it is. I've had it on a few tracks and you can give 600 and liter bikes hell on most tracks.

If I did an actual build, I'd have to give the back story on the original mods and how the accident affected my choices but here's a little bit about it.

When bike was totaled, I assessed what it would realistically need and waited to see how much they wanted for it. It was a steal so I said sure. The bike had sliders everywhere so most of the damage was cosmetic. I knew at a minimum I would only need a dash, handlebar clamp, front and side fairings, harness (or repair harness) and possibly a frame if it was really f'ed. Forks ended up being ok. It's an '09 S so it has Kayaba forks which are rebuildable. It already had an Ohlins SS valve kit in it so I sent the forks off to be checked and had Ohlins springs put in for track use only. I had the shock rebuilt as well.

I figured I'd use this opportunity to start learning about data acquisition so instead of buying an OEM dash, I went aftermarket. The dash is now an AIM G Dash with EVO 4 Datalogger and Microtec ECU. I stripped a stock harness and completely rebuilt it into a custom harness with color coding for the data logging and factory connectors everywhere.

Originally I had the 6.4 gal tank with TPO velocity stacks and custom filter setup. I sold the tank after the accident (no more street riding) and went with the Corse Dynamics stacks instead.

I put it all back together to test it out and went down the street. Apparently that dent in the frame was as bad as I didn't want to think it was :D So stripped it all down to bare frame and am awaiting a new one. In the meantime, I'm gathering more parts and doing some "mild" motor work.

I'll try to start a build thread maybe next week if work ever slows down.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hey mia748sp, good to hear you and the Hyper are on on the mend. An argument with a Suburban rarely ends well.

I hope you get the bike back on the track soon, at least you won't have to dodge SUVs out there.

Your old big tank is being used every day and now I don't have to stop all the time to look for gas. For me this has completely changed riding in remote areas. Love it, thanks again.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Interesting thread. I had a black 1100s a couple of years ago and sold it for an RSV4 factory (which I still own and love - not getting rid of it) I got the opportunity for a second bike and went for another hyper (I shouldn't have gotten rid of the first one!) - this is the only bike in 25 years of riding that ive bought a second one of, well, almost - ive got an 1100evo now. Got it pretty well stock apart from a twin termi end can. Since ive got it its now got an open clutch all the stock fixings removed for either stainless or ti, ecu has been reflashed, clutch slave cylinder upgrade. Designed my own tail tidy which I think is far better than anything else out there and also in the middle of designing a new internal mudguard for it (when its done ill post some photos).

Please to drive....one of the things I like the most....childish I know but opening it up from a low gear at a slow speed and then watching the resevoir's on the handlebars trying to shake themselves off....brilliant.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Can't let this thread fall off the first page, we'll never see it again.

I'm gathering up all the junk I need for the 30,000 service. Should be all the usual stuff plus brake pads, clutch pack, battery and tires. Might have break down and finally get a proper exhaust system for the old girl.

I'll let you all know if anything strange turns up. So far the Hyper has been pretty good to me, considering I beat it like a rented mule.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Can't let this thread fall off the first page, we'll never see it again.

I'm gathering up all the junk I need for the 30,000 service. Should be all the usual stuff plus brake pads, clutch pack, battery and tires. Might have break down and finally get a proper exhaust system for the old girl.

I'll let you all know if anything strange turns up. So far the Hyper has been pretty good to me, considering I beat it like a rented mule.
I'm about to hit that service, i'm curious to see how my shims spec out. The bike has been amazing!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Does any one know who makes those single piece rear tail sections? to replace the tail light and side carbon panels. Looking for one without the light for track use.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Does any one know who makes those single piece rear tail sections? to replace the tail light and side carbon panels. Looking for one without the light for track use.

Google "Desmo challenge tail" and click on the eBay link . It's says "item has ended" but seller still makes them

41 - 60 of 1627 Posts