Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back and forth, back and forth. But now its official. Spies is coming to MotoGP next year:

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2009/Edwards+and+Spies+to+ride+for+Tech+3+in+2010

Ben Spies will ride for Monster Yamaha Tech 3 in MotoGP next year following an announcement on the eve of this weekend’s bwin.com Grande Premio de Portugal. Spies is set to form an all-American line-up with the vastly experienced Colin Edwards who has also been confirmed for Herve Poncharal’s Tech 3 team next season.
25-year-old Spies joins the Tech 3 squad with excellent credentials having enjoyed success on board Yamaha machinery in the WSB championship this year, and having won three consecutive U.S. AMA Superbike championships from 2006-08 with Suzuki. He also made three successful MotoGP guest appearances in 2008, including one at the first ever Indianapolis MotoGP race in which he finished sixth.
Meanwhile, Edwards has agreed a new one-year contract with Tech 3 after producing some of the best form of his MotoGP career in 2009, including a superb second place in a difficult race at the British Grand Prix at Donington Park. The 35 year-old former team-mate of Valentino Rossi has featured in the top seven in ten out of 13 races so far and is still firmly in contention for a top five standings finish. Next year will be his third with Tech 3.
Spies stated, “I want to thank Yamaha globally for their faith in me. They have treated me like royalty! Yamaha just recently allowed me to rethink my contract for 2010-2011; I did sign for WSB for 2010 but after Indianapolis I began thinking of the competition and my age, versus waiting until 2011.”
“Now I have two challenges, to complete this year giving my best and to move towards new goals in MotoGP. Herve Poncharal at Tech 3 is showing his support by allowing me to come on board with my Crew Chief Tom Houseworth and Gregory Wood, my mechanic, who have both been with me since my AMA days. We will have learning curves to overcome next year but I am up for the new goal. I hope to have a good year and my goal is to try and stay in the top 6-8 which, given the talented line up, will be a tall order.”
Lin Jarvis, Managing Director of Yamaha Motor Racing, added “Following the announcement of Ben's two year deal with Yamaha one month ago, he has reassessed his options and decided that he would like to move to MotoGP sooner rather than later. Yamaha has considered his request and together with Tech 3 we were able to find a way to make it happen. Ben has done a fantastic job in his rookie season in World Superbike and we are very excited to now be welcoming him into our MotoGP program sooner than we originally expected.”
“We believe that Ben will be a fast learner next season and a strong future championship contender. We look forward to working with him in the years ahead.”

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
There are plenty of talented riders on the GP side...I just wish the competition during the races would reflect that.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are plenty of talented riders on the GP side...I just wish the competition during the races would reflect that.
See, in an alternate reality, here's what should have happened...

Let Hayden go back to Honda with Pedrosa. Lorenzo should have gone to Ducati with Stoner (assuming he's not burned out), then Rossi could have Spies on his factory Yamaha team.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm afraid that would be impossible since rookie rule in in effect in 2010.

D.

See, in an alternate reality, here's what should have happened...

Let Hayden go back to Honda with Pedrosa. Lorenzo should have gone to Ducati with Stoner (assuming he's not burned out), then Rossi could have Spies on his factory Yamaha team.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's a big transition from Superbikes. No guarantee he'll make it. Plenty of other top superbike riders haven't. Indeed, he's replacing one. Unless Yamaha give the Monster team the good parts, it will be a tough season for him, especially with some of the best 250 riders also making the transition to MotoGp.
The real key will be to see if he does well enough to get to a factory bike in 2011. Unless Rossi is leaving Yamaha, I doubt that will be a Yamaha factory bike. He's clearly not after another team mate who seeks equal number 1 status.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Are you kidding he is a very talented rider give him some slack. He just killed the comp in ama, so its nice to see him do well in wsb too. I enjoy watching him, he is the only rider next to fabrizio that gives haga a fight. I think this championship will be to the end and a nailbiter. I would like to see haga get it just cause its been a long time comming, but he is going to have to fight for it. Next year will be fun will colin spies and hayden for the americans, although i wonder if nicky will still be riding for ducati.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maybe but he was no faster than Simoncelli who was racing on a new bike. I hope he does well but it is not a given at that level

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think Ben is a little too big for the current 800cc bikes. Maybe if the rumors come true of going back to 1000cc, that would help. Most of the riders are very small. Even Nicky looks frail compared to a few years ago. I hope he proves me wrong, I'd like to see him do well.

·
comrade moderator
26,772 Posts
I hope people don't think he is going to rule in MotoGP right out of the box. Ben himself knows he has to get up to speed.
I think he will do just fine.

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
Are you kidding he is a very talented rider give him some slack. He just killed the comp in ama, so its nice to see him do well in wsb too. I enjoy watching him, he is the only rider next to fabrizio that gives haga a fight. I think this championship will be to the end and a nailbiter. I would like to see haga get it just cause its been a long time comming, but he is going to have to fight for it. Next year will be fun will colin spies and hayden for the americans, although i wonder if nicky will still be riding for ducati.

Nicky signed with Ducati for the 2010 season.

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
Maybe but he was no faster than Simoncelli who was racing on a new bike. I hope he does well but it is not a given at that level
I wonder how he felt when Simoncelli, wildcard first time riding a big bike passed him in the second race? Pretty impressive on Simoncelli's part I say.

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
I hope people don't think he is going to rule in MotoGP right out of the box. Ben himself knows he has to get up to speed.
I think he will do just fine.
He knows on the Tech 3 bike his expectation will be 5th or 6th place average. With a shrinking MotoGP field, thats in the middle of the pack.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
Love Simoncelli's hair, and Rea's crazy riding lines even better! :D

Team Orders and Haga FTW!!

·
Registered
328 Posts
good for him, id rather see him in wsbk again since i can watch that thanks to tye. wish there was a place i knew of to watch motogp on the net.

WSBK this year is awesome, I'm torn between rooting for haga and spies in every single race, can't wait for the last race. Spies because hes american and super fast and haga because hes on the duc!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I wonder how he felt when Simoncelli, wildcard first time riding a big bike passed him in the second race? Pretty impressive on Simoncelli's part I say.
Impressive yes. It also could have been beginner's luck. The bike's performance, or lack thereof has something to do with that. We'll find out next year who's better. GO BEN! Not that this would happen, but I think it would be so cool to see Ben win the WSB Championship (although I'd feel sorry for Haga, but he can win next year!) and then win the MotoGP Championship as a rookie too (a gigantic feat, and highly unlikely to happen)!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts