Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yes, great show by Max. But, damn, if you could come back from a mile behind the last position, and still be with-in 6 seconds from the first place, you are in the wrong league. Max should stop slumming in WSBK and move to MotoGP. He is like the Mladin of the WSBK
Max is a great rider but he crumbles under pressure and that is a serious problem for someone competing on that level. There were many great racers that were fast but could not keep it together under pressure and now no one remembers their names.

Also finishing only 6 seconds behind, that is not to say that he would have won that race by a mile, Carlos had no reason to push and possibly have another get off so he just did the pace he had to do in order to stay in front, winning by 0.6 or 6 or 60 seconds is still a win. Will have to wait till next round to see heads up battle between those two. As things stand it seems Aprilia has got a warp drive under those fairings and tires seemed to last the entire race, Ducati might have that little extra speed in the closing laps since it manages tire wear better than any other bike and Carlos is a master of his craft, so perhaps they are a match, however Aprilia looks to have an upper hand.

It would be nice if the administrators would have an "official" WSBK post section for each race.
It seems to have worked well in the past, Calexio would start an "OFFICIAL" thread for WSBK or MotoGP and that would be the only thread on the subject, no reason to get admins involved unless the flame fest erupts, and I really hope we have seen the last of it last season

·
Super Moderator
26,562 Posts
Having a pseudo gp bike helped. Pretty hard to match the Ape in straight line speed.
True dat. There's not a whole lot of difference between that bike and the 'Priller CRT bike. They claim otherwise, but after last year in world Superbike...I don't believe them.

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
.......Say what you want about Max, but no doubt he's quick. He is a mental case though and always has been. But to go from last to 2nd in a WSBK race is astonishing-period! He flat out embarrassed some of the best riders in the world...
I can't for the life of me see why the powers to be at WSBK want to continually f-around with restricting this, adding weight here, etc. As long as the bike meets homologation regulations let em' race. The 1198 is a 6yr old model, why add weight to the thing..because it won the cahmpionship last year? Their just not consistant with the way their running the show-the Ape should have never been allowed to run special gear driven cams....yet they restrict the size of the throttle bodies on the Duc. After Max's performance what will they do with the Aprilia...:)

·
Super Moderator
26,562 Posts
I think you'll find Leon Camier on a Cresent Suzuki this year.
Max's teammate, Eugene Laverty, was riding with a broken hand.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I think you'll find Leon Camier on a Cresent Suzuki this year.
Max's teammate, Eugene Laverty, was riding with a broken hand.
I know where Camier is this year, and I also realize Laverty was riding hurt. The point is is that while the bike may be fast, no one else has done anything with it. Beyond that, remember how the bike got to where it is; through the development work done by Biaggi and his crew. Bottom line is that the Aprilia is the best package within the rules and it isn't even a homologation special like the Ducati.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
The pitlane reporter of the LA7 channel went to interview Genesio Bevilacqua of Althea Racing to talk about his rider’s victory, instead the Italian manager indirectly talked about Biaggi’s remarkable second place.

We already know the Italian manager’s position on the extra weight, he hates it, says it’s a disadvantage and constantly harks on it and today wasn’t any different, “I was disappointed to see that there are riders that can start from last position and finish second, while we are penalized with six extra kilos of weight. It will be hard to overcome this difficulty this season, even with a rider, a champion, of Carlos’ caliber”. Naturally Bevilacqua is another member of that club that says that the Aprilia RSV4 is really a MotoGP bike masquerading as a Superbike.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
The pitlane reporter of the LA7 channel went to interview Genesio Bevilacqua of Althea Racing to talk about his rider’s victory, instead the Italian manager indirectly talked about Biaggi’s remarkable second place.

We already know the Italian manager’s position on the extra weight, he hates it, says it’s a disadvantage and constantly harks on it and today wasn’t any different, “I was disappointed to see that there are riders that can start from last position and finish second, while we are penalized with six extra kilos of weight. It will be hard to overcome this difficulty this season, even with a rider, a champion, of Carlos’ caliber”. Naturally Bevilacqua is another member of that club that says that the Aprilia RSV4 is really a MotoGP bike masquerading as a Superbike.
Well Biaggi's top speed was 325kph while the BMW's was 323kph. Not much in it there. Fastest Lap was posted by Checa in the warm-up which was a full second faster than Biaggi's, so the issue isn't the bike, it is the riders. Max has always been better than Checa and really outrode him at PI. Regardless of the crash, max was coming, and coming hard in race 1. Race two would have looked a lot different if max hadn't got together with Sykes at turn one. I have no doubt that what we saw at PI was more Max, than the bike. Perhaps Genesio Bevilacqua can take his sour grapes and sell them elsewhere.

·
Registered
106 Posts
F'knell!

This shit reminds me of all the sooking when Stoner kicked everyone's arse in '07 MotoGP.
That GP7 was fast, but someone still had to f*cking ride it!

The RSV4 is a great bike. Engineered to WSBK capacity regulations. It doesn't need an extra 200cc to be competitive! Good on 'em!

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
The RSV4 is a great bike. Engineered to WSBK capacity regulations. It doesn't need an extra 200cc to be competitive! Good on 'em!
or the extra weight ;) just sayin anyone who goes from worst to second over such a short distance....something seriously wrong, don't care that Max rode the race of his life

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I don't want to start a flame fest and it seems long winter has some folks on the edge, so I'm gonna thread lithely.

By homologation rules D16 would be legal in WSBK? (I'm asking, not making a statement) Production bike, 1000cc?
I bet if they continued development of it as a street bike it would be a bit faster than RSV4, just guessing...

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I don't want to start a flame fest and it seems long winter has some folks on the edge, so I'm gonna thread lithely.

By homologation rules D16 would be legal in WSBK? (I'm asking, not making a statement) Production bike, 1000cc?
I bet if they continued development of it as a street bike it would be a bit faster than RSV4, just guessing...
Not enough units. You need 3000 for homologation.

·
Registered
410 Posts
or the extra weight ;) just sayin anyone who goes from worst to second over such a short distance....something seriously wrong, don't care that Max rode the race of his life
The same happened these year in moto2 with Marquez riding from last to 3rd.

·
Premium Member
4,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Not enough units. You need 3000 for homologation.
3000 now but back a decade it was 50, 100?

R7 was pretty much one off, made just enough to get it in, I think most of manufacturers made just enough of their limited R-XXX-RR models to get them homologated, and they still do. If Ducati was to race D16 they could have fired up production and ran off few extra units and it would have been the fastest superbike in straight line, at least back in '08, but they choose to race what they can sell on Monday, and still do.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts

Aprilia vs. Ducati: Pirelli decides

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

Ducati announced the D16 at a time when the FIM was being difficult about upping the allowable twin capacity to 1200. My take is the D16 was a shot across the bow to the FIM and the four cylinder marques, saying either let me take my twin to 1200, or I'll bring this baby to the party. I think that's why Ducati produced such an unheard of number (1500) of a limited edition machine. At the time 1500 was the required homologation (I believe). Ducati certainly did not earn much profit on those bikes.

Once the 1098 was approved for WSBK, the D16 approach was no longer needed. Now here we are over 5 years later and Aprilias essentially got their own D16. Make no mistake, the folks in Noale pay attention to Ducati's moves.

Kudos to Ducati though, for sticking with a twin, and now developing it to amazing levels with the 1199. It will be interesting to see how the Pani fares against that rocketship Aprilia in Superstock this year (and WSBK in 2013).

41 - 60 of 64 Posts