Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

**Official First Service Thread** (Liquid Cooled)

9575 Views 54 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  belgiumexpat
600 mile service question

before I get blasted by you guys, hear me out, I have owned over a dozen bikes in 20 yrs. kawi ,yama, honda, suzuki, always bought new. In all those years i have never paid for a 600mi service, ive always done my own maintnance. Dealer wants 300 to change oil and adjust chain . ecu should be up to date as i have only had bike less than a month. This is my first Duc, dealer gave me impression if i dont do svc, bike will self destruct. any thoughts, any 1 else not go to dealer for 600 mile rape?
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

· Resident Raggamuffin
9,603 Posts
My bike was just built 2 months ago...it's a 2012 Touring. Would the new master cylinder already be on it? If so, why does the rear brake still suck?
it should be on it, and you could tell by looking at the master cylinder/oil tank which should have a 50 degree inclined fitting attached to it (i think i said that correctly).

the rear brake still sucks because it's a Ducati rear brake and they still haven't figured out how to make it work as it should. :sleep:

see ya,

· Registered
141 Posts
I have a 2011 Touring S model, and the 12.000km service is coming up in a few weeks. My rear brake does absolutely nothing, and will ask them to have a look at it. I was under the impression the 2011 should already have the modified correct working rear brake?

I always use my rear brake when breaking, but on this bike it's totally useless. If correctly used, you can break much better and harder using both breaks.

Unbelievable if you think about it, they bring an expensive bike on the market but the rear brake is crap, how did that even pass quality control?

· Registered
757 Posts
**Official First Service Thread**

Just picked up my new '12 MTS and the service dept wanted me to make an appt for the first service (600 miles I think). Now, isn't the first service just an oil change/check if things are tight and not falling off? I was told they needed to check the computer for errors/etc/etc. this is my first Duc, but I've ad nuErous other bikes and always changed the oil/checked the bike over myself.

Any comments?

· Registered
121 Posts
Just picked up my new '12 MTS and the service dept wanted me to make an appt for the first service (600 miles I think). Now, isn't the first service just an oil change/check if things are tight and not falling off? I was told they needed to check the computer for errors/etc/etc. this is my first Duc, but I've ad nuErous other bikes and always changed the oil/checked the bike over myself.

Any comments?
Well,

On "normal" bikes like Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki etc..yes its just and oil change and look over. With expensive Italian stuff thats not the case. The have a checklist of items that need to be looked at. Oil change is done yes, but they retorque various parts, check the CP for any errors, check over all the brakes and clutch then check the recalls or service bulletens on the bike. They will fix any that need to be done. The first service will cost you about $300...after that the next one is at 15k miles. In between youre good to just do it all yourself like the oil change. When they get done ask to see the checklist and get a copy of it. They gave me mine. I'll laminate it and do it myself from then on.

· Registered
121 Posts

Any comments?
Well,

On "normal" bikes like Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki etc..yes its just and oil change and look over. With expensive Italian stuff thats not the case. The have a checklist of items that need to be looked at. Oil change is done yes, but they retorque various parts, check the CP for any errors, check over all the brakes and clutch then check the recalls or service bulletens on the bike. They will fix any that need to be done. The first service will cost you about $300...after that the next one is at 15k miles. In between youre good to just do it all yourself like the oil change. When they get done ask to see the checklist and get a copy of it. They gave me mine. I'll laminate it and do it myself from then on.

· Registered
1,137 Posts
Er......"The have a checklist of items that need to be looked at. Oil change is done yes, but they retorque various parts,"

What parts are torque checked on the first service??? Other than the (same on any bike) "check the tightening of safety components....etc" I don't see any specific torque checks called up.

· Registered
528 Posts
First and formost you'll want the "service reminder" reset as it will haunt you until you cave. My dealer was kind enough to reset mine on the cuff as I did my own oil change. As far as torque checks grab a set of T-handle allen wrenches and check the engine case covers, just give them a single handed twist as Ducati uses Three Bond in instead of gaskets and it remains flexible, also the exhaust hangers. If you're feeling anal grab a torque wrench.
If you have a center stand on your bike the labor is going to be more as it has to be removed in order to properly drain the oil and remove the filter. While its off notch the rear loops on the main belly pan so it can be pushed over the rubber grommets that way you won't have to remove the center stand again.
I'm not going to check/clean the screen until my next oil change, just make sure you purchase a gasket for the screen cover as its also sealed by Three Bond. A lot of folks have had the screen cover bolts strip so be prepared for that, using an impact driver (see below) to loosen them should prevent that. Replacing the oil drain crush washer is a no brainer also as the name implies it gets crushed.
I have purchased the parts from my dealer so there is a paper trail just in case. And don't bother to look for an oil filter wrench at the local auto supply as Ducati has some weird eight sided filter, you can find a nice anodized aluminum one on eBay and while your there get an axle nut socket and a spanner for the eccentric for adjusting the chain.

Oil drain (with new washer): 20nm or 15ft-lb
Oil filter: 11nm or 8ft-lb

Ducati Oil Filter Wrench 748/996/998/1098/1198 Multi Starda | eBay

Ducati Multistrada Chain Adjuster / Swingarm Eccentric Tool MADE BY HDESA USA | eBay

MULTISTRADA 1200 DUCATI REAR WHEEL SOCKET NUT TOOL 55MM | eBay

Impact driver I'm referring to (not a pneumatic gun):

· Premium Member
12,752 Posts
Dealers are supposed to do checks,
Some lesser honest dealers just change oil reset the service signal...
And put oily greasy finger prints all over bike...

I see it as an Insurance policy...and a chance to talk about any thoughts you have about bike with service department...
It does take some time to get at filter and remove bellypan etc and they should check the screen , Some don't...

Some people have a hate on for dealers and service departments,
I don't mind paying a Mechanic for a Job WELL DONE . If they do ALL that is supposed to be done , and have a LOOK SEE if anything is WRONG, That should have been done at the PRE DELIVERY INSPECTION...
It is a GOOD TIME to form a relationship with with service IN CASE you need them in the future....

A lot of back yard mechanics THINK they know what is what...
A GOOD service department should KNOW ...

· Registered
1,380 Posts
I just had my 600 mile service done yesterday. It was $224, but my dealer has a rewards program so i get $22 back that i can use in store later.

They did some ecu work, im not sure if it was an update to the firmware/software or coincidence, but my fuel mileage went up significantly. And the checklist was pretty extensive, most can be done through the ECU, but a long list none the less.

I look at the break in service as warranty assurance. I'll do all the oil changes myself, and if i hit 15,000 miles before the warranty is up, then i'll go to the dealer for that one as well.

· Registered
156 Posts
First service done!

Dropped my MTS 1200S Touring in to the local Ducati shop on Friday for its 1,000 km service. Also got the LEDs fitted, rear brake fluid changed (I had already fitted eBrew's master cylinder shield) and the chain tensioned (along with all the other first service stuff). Bike delivered this morning, all ***** and span.

Cost - USD 350.00. Not too bad considering I got a lot of extra stuff done. Thought it would be worse.

When it was dropped off, they said they'd ordered parts for the front fork and the rear suspension servo. I'll get those fitted with the crash bars and and the new pipes (when they arrive).

Then I have to start battle with Tuneboy ...

Very nice having the bike back!

· Premium Member
762 Posts
That is a very good price for that amount of work IMHO!

Tuneboy won't be as bad as you think. If you need any help all you have to do is post to the forum. Plenty of people will try to help out best they can.

Cost - USD 350.00. Not too bad considering I got a lot of extra stuff done. Thought it would be worse.

Then I have to start battle with Tuneboy ...

· Registered
156 Posts
That is a very good price for that amount of work IMHO!

Tuneboy won't be as bad as you think. If you need any help all you have to do is post to the forum. Plenty of people will try to help out best they can.
Thanks, Belgiumexpat. I've noticed your very helpful posts on the Tuneboy thread. My only concern is that I will be running the Tuneboy software on a Mac using Parallels - that can be tricky with com port assignment. Time will tell.

At this stage, I can do nothing until I get the pipes from SC Projects.

· Premium Member
762 Posts
Heh, I'm running a macbook air with a Parallels Win 7 virtual machine. I don't recall who it is but there is another guy doing something similar.

It's not an issue. When you plug in the usb port there will be a popup asking you if you want it assigned to the mac or windows machine. Choose Windows and off you go. The only issue is if you try to use WiFi to connect it can be flaky. I just use the USB connection to save myself the headache.

Thanks, Belgiumexpat. I've noticed your very helpful posts on the Tuneboy thread. My only concern is that I will be running the Tuneboy software on a Mac using Parallels - that can be tricky with com port assignment. Time will tell.

At this stage, I can do nothing until I get the pipes from SC Projects.

· Registered
156 Posts
Excellent! Thank you.

· Premium Member
762 Posts
Ugh, I forgot to mention a couple of things:

I usually exit "coherence" mode and run the desktop. The tuneboy programs will run in coherence mode but with the plugging/unplugging going on I find it easier to "see the whole picture".

The macbook air doesn't have PgUp/PgDn keys so you have to add a "custom keyboard" mapping for those keys. The cells in the tuneboy trim program use those keys to adjust the values up/down. You can't just type in 8.3 etc..

That's it! I've had no problems. If you want a "full termi" trim file that seems to work pretty well with any exhaust to start out with just let me know.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.