Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

**Official First Service Thread** (Liquid Cooled)

9574 Views 54 Replies 28 Participants Last post by  belgiumexpat
600 mile service question

before I get blasted by you guys, hear me out, I have owned over a dozen bikes in 20 yrs. kawi ,yama, honda, suzuki, always bought new. In all those years i have never paid for a 600mi service, ive always done my own maintnance. Dealer wants 300 to change oil and adjust chain . ecu should be up to date as i have only had bike less than a month. This is my first Duc, dealer gave me impression if i dont do svc, bike will self destruct. any thoughts, any 1 else not go to dealer for 600 mile rape?
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

· Premium Member
12,752 Posts
C5Pete ; they just upped the cost of the seat to make up for it

Nolan ; Ouch , Hope they went over everything ,put in the MOST expensive oil..

That can be about $70 plus tax and $20 for the filter. so tha kills a hundred...
I'll bet it is a real nice dealership, very fancy..
I would have come out of there with a shopping bag of the Give aways and a belly full of the free coffee , Used their washroom , Next time take a group of friends and drink a few pots of free coffee...

If all the fasteners were looked at and everything is ok , washed up no finger print smudges , done on time , all is good ..forget about it...

Keep an eye on it for the first few miles , I had a Bad oil filter which leaked slowly at the metal seam.. Prolly one in a million...

Now you are good to go...

· Registered
469 Posts
well went to dealership to pick up ergo seat, talked to service manager,told him I already changed oil, he stated he would clear code, adjust chain and check for updates for 1/2 hr labor, about 50 otd, I can definately live with that, hopefully they will keep to their word. So far so good.
You going to euro cycles or orlando? I got mine from euro cycles and they cleared the code for nothin.

· Registered
1,310 Posts
Changing the oil with the stuff I like and adjusting/cleaning/lubing chain is simple enough. Is there anything else the dealer does besides acting like they look over nuts/bolts? I don't want to be caught with my pants down at the dealership when I go there to get the code cleared...

Also, what is the BS about updates to the software on these bikes every time you take it in. That seems a bit ridiculous to me.

· Beta Tester
1,962 Posts
Also, what is the BS about updates to the software on these bikes every time you take it in. That seems a bit ridiculous to me.
everytime i visit my dealer, they hook up the DDS (or whatever it's called now) to check that i have all the latest updates. it's not all that ridiculous, i'm happy that they do it:D

· Premium Member
12,752 Posts
I've had an up date that just did not take.
so they did it again...
maybe something got out of kilter and they want to make sure,
you would be the first to whine if something was not checked...

A good mechanic always starts with the simpliest things first

· Registered
1,310 Posts
It wouldn't be so ridiculous if they didn't charge you for the event and charged Ducati instead using the warranty. Call me silly but that's a how a $20K+ motorcycle should come anyway, after its second year of production; with the proper software.

· Premium Member
12,752 Posts
$20K is cheap!
For all the technology time and effort they put into gathering their knowledge,

I expect to pay something for the service and don't mind paying if it is done correctly and completely, an experienced set of eyes or 4 catching sumptin , not right either done by the factory or just coming loose, I expect to have to go over the bike a lot to make sure in my mind alll is ok ,
It is a smart thing to do to check all and everything over , not just look under it for fluid. Tire pressures colour of fluids wear and tear , you name it ...

Computers require updating and if they find a better way of making the bikes run better smoother whatever , A $50 bill is not too much and sometimes there is no charge, especially if they messed it up...

PAY to PLAY...

· Registered
534 Posts
They are charging you for ECU updates? If so you are getting taken. ECU updates are covered under warranty.

It wouldn't be so ridiculous if they didn't charge you for the event and charged Ducati instead using the warranty. Call me silly but that's a how a $20K+ motorcycle should come anyway, after its second year of production; with the proper software.

· Registered
1,259 Posts
They are charging you for ECU updates? If so you are getting taken. ECU updates are covered under warranty.
There is no charge for ECU updates at any Ducati Dealer.

This has been an interesting thread for me because it appears that there are very few members at this forum who are not hard "motorcycle people".

I'd say from reading these posts that the majority of members here know bikes inside and out, and: they know the technical and mechanical engineering of how bikes work.

Experienced riding is a given with these guys and they generally don't post topics about the actual ride itself. That is not what this forum is about.

Basically, they like this bike in its disassembled stage just as much as they do with its ride down the road mode. God Bless 'em all!

You guys have taught me all that I know about anything more than putting air in the tires and gas in the tank.

My point here about the 600 mile check and future dealings with your Duc Dealer?

There are owners (hard to believe) like me who can ride the livin' shit out of this bike (except for switchbacks) and know zero about the machine itself.

What I need in this situation is a Dealer who will take my MST in for service at the drop of a hat: when I have trouble. And you know I will because you have read this far.

So....a guy like me does not go into the dealer and try to cut $$$$$ corners.

I can't afford it. You guys can.

Dan

· Registered
1,310 Posts
$20K is cheap!
For all the technology time and effort they put into gathering their knowledge,

I expect to pay something for the service and don't mind paying if it is done correctly and completely, an experienced set of eyes or 4 catching sumptin , not right either done by the factory or just coming loose, I expect to have to go over the bike a lot to make sure in my mind alll is ok ,
It is a smart thing to do to check all and everything over , not just look under it for fluid. Tire pressures colour of fluids wear and tear , you name it ...

Computers require updating and if they find a better way of making the bikes run better smoother whatever , A $50 bill is not too much and sometimes there is no charge, especially if they messed it up...

PAY to PLAY...
There is a lot of truth to what you said especially on how much bike you get for the technology, however what good is it if it doesn't work. I am a lot more meticulous in the inspection of my bike than anyone else will be. I bet you are too. Everyone looks after their own rear end more than the next guy will. Now if I lived near a dealer that I knew was spot on with everything and got raving reviews I think I would be a lot more willing to give my $$ for every little thing. However, I can't say I can trust them that much especially when it comes to such simple things as changing the oil, changing the filter, adjusting the chain, changing brake pads, bleeding brakes etc... well you get my drift. Now there are plenty of model specific things that I'm not familiar with hence I can come in here and find out more info on, but at the end of the day anything I can't handle I have no problem paying the dealer to do.

Ok, that's good to know! When I spoke to them about it last they didn't say they would but they gave me the impression that it would cost some money.

· Registered
389 Posts
600 miles on my 2012 so time for the first service.

The rear brake is very weak as many have reported. It can hold the bike on a hill but provides no useful braking otherwise. Should I have them address this on the first service? From what I've heard, the fix seems temporary for most people, and if it's not going to help much I'd rather they didn't muck around with it and I can wait until there is a real and permanent fix later on in my warranty period.

Thoughts?

· Registered
84 Posts
I had them do this for me and so far its still pretty good. I also adjusted the brake lever a bit. There are warrantee parts for the recall, so you will need to call ahead to have them get the authorization and parts. I would not assume you could just mention it when you bring the bike in and have them have the parts available. What they might do in that situation, is bleed the system, but that would for sure just be a temp fix.

I want to say it was a good week and a half before the authorization and parts were ready to bring the bike in.

I have a 2011 Touring, I don't know if the new master cylinder for the recall I had done is already on your bike or not.

· Premium Member
12,752 Posts
Have them bleed and look at it ,they can be made to work just fine.
Mine works just fine .
Put yours in enduro mode and lock it up on a gravel road just by the rear brake...
It should lock up.
Your antilocks should engage on pavement too...
Get to know how it works and be aware of any faults, or deterioration ...
When mine was serviced it had wat too much travel they shortened up the travel by almost an inch.
I want to be able to rely on brakes front and rear .
I make a point to use the rear every time out....

· Premium Member
404 Posts
I have had mine back to the dealership several times for the rear brake.

It seems to be no longer declining in performance over time, it's staying about the same.

To achieve that, have them:
1) perform the service bulletin fix
2) upgrade the brake fluid to what Ducati is currently recommending

After those fixes, my rear brake became useable. But it's still the worst brake I've ever used on any bike (and I've been riding for 30+ years).

· Registered
1,310 Posts
Honestly I would wait a couple of thousand miles or even until you change out your exhaust. The stock cat gets so hot it literally turns the brake fluid black after only about a thousand miles. Once this happens you'll probably feel a further degradation of the rear brake. Get it done then.

· Registered
84 Posts
One thing you can try is to put it on center stand if you have it and adjust the linkage arm on the rear brake. I found mine set to one extreme making the lever not actually start actuating the brake until prolly 3/4 through its travel.

Do not adjust it to the other extreme however, make sure when releasing the rear brake the tire still spins freely. I found this helped quite a bit even after the service bulletin fix. Also note there is a threaded adjuster on the brake peddle that actuates the brake light, so make sure that is also set correctly after adjusting.

I found that when I finished my adjustment that brake light screw was backed all the way down flush with the pedal.

· Registered
2019 1260S Volcano Grey
887 Posts
I believe that the 2012's have the rear brake 'fix kit' on them from the factory. My '12 PP does. The only 'fix' that worked for any amount of miles on my 2011 was when they did an elaborate bleed procedure and used the very expensive DNA spec brake fluid. I am trying to find out the spec for the fluid. I would start early and stay on them until your rear brake works. The more guys that blow it off and just live w/ it, the less incentive DNA has to push for a real, lasting fix.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.