Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Do you have a flat-spot issue around 3,500 RPM?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is a curiosity thing more than anything, but more worthwhile than speculating that everyone has this issue.

Do you have a flat spot or power-dropoff at around 3,500 RPM?

Answers:

1. Yes

2. No

Also let us know if the bike is stock, with Termi slipons or with a full Termi system.

Thanks!

-jamie

·
Bon Vivant
10,917 Posts
I voted but for me the problem goes quite a ways beyond just the flat spot.
My bike surges at steady throttle at anything below 6K, it has stalled on a number of occasions, and it pops on decel...

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
My bike surges at steady throttle at anything below 6K, it has stalled on a number of occasions, and it pops on decel...

I,m with Bill but not the stalling bit...Its really annoying & potentially dangerous trying to feed the power on in some corners

·
Registered
65 Posts
Do you guys have the Termi's on? I have the flat spot with the stock pipes/airbox/ecu. I find it really dangerous when putting along in traffic at 35mph in 2nd, guess what the rpms are?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I voted yes. My problem is only with 3500 flat spot. I have no other engine related issues.

I told my dealer I thought it was dangerous as well. It is like I am hitting a wall at 3500 rpm and then unless I am careful how I twist the throttle I will take off.

By the way, the pops on decel is because it is running too lean.

I am resigned to the fact that the only way this will be resolved in the near future is for us to do it with an aftermarket product.
Ken

·
Registered
185 Posts
Let's keep this coming. I met with and got friendly with the Sales Manager for the NY, NJ, and nearby states area last week. I even got him to ride my bike and he saw the problem and spoke to service. I will see if there is any difference when I get my bike back the end of this week.

I think if we get enough people on the poll, I will get his email address and forward the link.
Ken

·
Registered
309 Posts
I dont have my SFs yet...

but I voted no as I did not detect any flatspot of any kind. Now the demo I rode had the Termi slip-ons, the DP ECU, and the hi-flow air filter. However, I did overhear the GM and my salesperson, who had both rode the demo in stock and modified form, concur regarding how the "stumbling" had "gone away" after fitting the Termi Pkg.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think it's runninng very lean under the afore mentioned revolutions due to the greenpeace-tree-hugging-MF's.:(
Please remember the engine in this bike is a race derived one and,as such,likes to be revved and thrashed,not fcukin about at 20mph in traffic....:D
I don't know if the 1098s have the same problem but I do know that all of my previous jap bikes liked to revved.
And before anyone posts to say that they ar in line 4's....I had an SV1000 and that spat back when throttling off and I loved it !!it was smoother than the duc though.:eek:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think it's runninng very lean under the afore mentioned revolutions due to the greenpeace-tree-hugging-MF's.:(
Please remember the engine in this bike is a race derived one and,as such,likes to be revved and thrashed,not fcukin about at 20mph in traffic....:D
I don't know if the 1098s have the same problem but I do know that all of my previous jap bikes liked to revved.
And before anyone posts to say that they ar in line 4's....I had an SV1000 and that spat back when throttling off and I loved it !!it was smoother than the duc though.:eek:
I agree that is bike has a race engine in it, but that being said, with the name STREET Fighter, there should have been some thought as to it's in town performance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes...stumbles, surges etc. below 6000 rpms. Completely stock right now. And, I have an R1 that loves to rev......but it is still smooth when "chugging" around town.....it is possible for the two to co-exist.:cool:

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have no flat spot and no surging, but there is pop on decel and that is normal and doesn't bother me at all. The bike does seem to lug if riding at or below 3.000 rpms and needs to be run at higher revs. Not the best bike for commuting in city traffic, but on counrty roads it's a blast. :D

Bike is stock (except for CRG mirrors)

·
Registered
185 Posts
The mere fact that some people have flat spots, some don't some more or less noticeable proves that there is an issue. If there werent an issue, then they would either have it, not have it, and be no varying degrees in between.

This is not an issue of stumbling at low rpms due to the bike being geared tall. When the sales mgr for my area rode my bike and then the demo bike back to back, he went over the the service mgr and told him to hook my bike up to the anayizer etc when I bring it in for the 600 mile service. He said my bike was "very abrupt" around 3500 rpms.

I don't know the exact cause but based on my experience from past bikes it looks like a TPS issue.
Ken

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
If I keep my bike at about 3800RPM I can hear trembling but there is no surging. I had my 1000km service completed on monday and the bike is super smooth. I didn't get to talk to the tech after the service but I informed HER about the issue many were experiencing and said it might be linked to throttle body synchronization and she thought TPS. Well they couldn't do a TPS because they didn't have the update to reset it on the SF. Bike is running tops now.

Went for a nice ride with my friend who has a S4R with a full Arrow system (sounds like hell on wheels!) and he was laying into his bike quite hard to keep up and I really wasn't pushing at all. He now thinks he needs an 1198S for some reason :rolleyes:

·
Registered
169 Posts
Use The Force...

I agree that is bike has a race engine in it, but that being said, with the name STREET Fighter, there should have been some thought as to it's in town performance.
Agreed my Wise Owl.:)

Actually I'm beginning to think/feel,(being a Jedi)that it's not actually a flat spot but a power band.:eek:
I'm pottering along at 3500rpm and twist just a tad more and....wham!!the bike just takes off.....:eek:
It's not smooth through the rev range,so ,be carefull my children.:cool:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
It may need a dump valve ? It really is annoying me now. A fuckin 14 grand bike that lurches around like a wanky Mondeo diesel just before the turbo kicks in.

COME ON DUCATI ,,,,,SORT IT OR YOU CAN HAVE IT BACK

·
Registered
169 Posts
It may need a dump valve ? It really is annoying me now. A fuckin 14 grand bike that lurches around like a wanky Mondeo diesel just before the turbo kicks in.

COME ON DUCATI ,,,,,SORT IT OR YOU CAN HAVE IT BACK
Mr B !!!!
They'll take it back for 12k:eek:,no probs............:eek:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I,m sure it will be worth less if i drive it thro the fcukin window & blame it on the throttle

·
Registered
65 Posts
I,m sure it will be worth less if i drive it thro the fcukin window & blame it on the throttle
Let me know how that plan works out! I'll do the same!! LOL.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I do have the Termis and I still noticed it at first but it has almost disappeared now as I near the 1000k mark so I'm chalking mine up to normal break-in. I voted no as a result.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts