Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well not really, but my bike got knocked over today, bent steer stops and all. upside was that she was a responsible human and actually left a note!

i cannot tell you how melancholy this is making me, and we are just now starting to get some nice weather finally!

thing is: do you park in between cars where one has a good chance of not seeing you behind, or, do you park in the clear with no one around so people see a bright red bike sticking out like a sore thumb, that eventually gets backed over by someone not paying full attention/being distracted by kids in the car etc?

i dont know that theres a correct answer to this one.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mate keep smiling get it fixed and get back out there this will be the only way to combat a problem like this, I have had this happen to me some dickhead back into my bike wile i was in the shop getting a hambuger I went out and went belistic kneed the door grabed him and yelled a hell of abuse, made me feel better but didnt get the bike on the road that had to wait,:mad:

well not really, but my bike got knocked over today, bent steer stops and all. upside was that she was a responsible human and actually left a note!

i cannot tell you how melancholy this is making me, and we are just now starting to get some nice weather finally!

thing is: do you park in between cars where one has a good chance of not seeing you behind, or, do you park in the clear with no one around so people see a bright red bike sticking out like a sore thumb, that eventually gets backed over by someone not paying full attention/being distracted by kids in the car etc?

i dont know that theres a correct answer to this one.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Ah crap man, that sucks to hear. Is it a write off when the stops are bent??

I generally park miles away from anyone, even if i need to grab a taxi from where i parked to the front door :rolleyes:

Guarentee it though, there's always some unattentive clown just waiting to mess up your ride. Hope you're back up and running soon man :(

·
Registered
413 Posts
Awww man, that sucks. Hope you are back on the road soon. FWIW I take Stressfest's approach and park it as isolated as i can.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Honestly guys...I would be screwed without park assist !

People drive huge 4 wheel drives...no reversing cameras and run over their own children....so anything smaller than a small truck is at risk !

Hope you get your bike fixed better than new and it will end up being a good result.

Cheers Roger

·
Registered
368 Posts
why would it be a write off... one of mine bent when i went splut.. i just straightened as best i could with my primitive lego toolset, adjusted the stops to compensate and off i went....

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
why would it be a write off... one of mine bent when i went splut.. i just straightened as best i could with my primitive lego toolset, adjusted the stops to compensate and off i went....
In the U.S. if a claims adjuster sees a bent steering stop he/she usually assumes that the frame is damaged as well. Damaged Frame = Totaled Bike.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
In the U.S. if a claims adjuster sees a bent steering stop he/she usually assumes that the frame is damaged as well. Damaged Frame = Totaled Bike.
actually, since the steering stop is welded on it is part of the frame (vs. a bolt-on spar) so a bent steering stop IS a damaged frame. due to liability they won't repair frames.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks a lot guys, yeah its a bummer, the upside i guess is that i wasnt on it when it went down! :)

hopefully ducati seattle and the insurance people play nice and are able to look at it tomorrow, i really want to get this shit going as soon as possible. the weather man! the weather!!!

·
Registered
189 Posts
Sorry for your loss :(

I typically park at a distance from all others and then worry until I return back to my faithful little Italian little mistress.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Squirecat, same thing happened to me. Lucky for me the SUV commander finished his cellphone call before demolisihing the bike. Took me a while to get over that. Years ago I read the stats on written off bikes, can't remember the % but off the stand write off is the biggest. I park where the enemy can't reach, that means anywhere but a regular car park. To be fair, a bike without a rider on is hard to see and not a registered obstacle in the subconscious of vehicle drivers.
Funny enough, I bought all the replacement parts but still ride around with bent and twisted levers, guards and pegs. seems to be a good luck. My steering stops are bent but they are flinsey and the bike seems to go faster now they are bent.

·
Registered
188 Posts
so sorry to hear that from you! hope the repairing goes quick & fine, but understand very well the feeling.

BTW: last weekend I almost kill myself and a couple of friends; a group of 7 ducatis, position n#2, a lonely road... ¡and a small deer jumped from one side to the other of the road between #1 and me! believe me we were pretty close to each other, we had to stop for a while to get breath!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts