Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Actually, off a link? My chain has more tension in one spot than after rotating the tire 180. Loose, then tight. Wheel looks to be aligned properly.

Any other reason that might happen except for maybe the chain is mounted with a skipped link? The wheels were recently mounted with new rubber. I may have messed this up but since I can't take care of right now thinking that's it. Any other suggestions? Been taking my wheels on and off for years.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will check my notes but I dont think the chain has that many miles or years in it. Bike has not been used much for a long time.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, A little embarrassed. I'm usually REALLY good with my log book and notes, all the way back to when I bought it Jun 29, 1996 with 3170 miles. This time I do not have an entry for a chain so it must be a LONG time since it was replaced. :|

·
Registered
190 Posts
Ok, A little embarrassed. I'm usually REALLY good with my log book and notes, all the way back to when I bought it Jun 29, 1996 with 3170 miles. This time I do not have an entry for a chain so it must be a LONG time since it was replaced. :|
:grin2: At least you’re honest! I make all sorts of entries in my “tech log” of things to do but then my enthusiasm outweighs my time available and the list grows longer.

·
Premium Member
5,180 Posts
Reasons for tight -loose spots in chain run.

1. worn pins, if you cut up a worn out chain and inspect the pin diameters you will see that some pins are often worn 10-20%.

2. you use chain wax, waxes tend to glue the chain together and over time will cause the links to bind when cold. Simply clean the chain to remove the wax before adjusting to see your true slack.

3. out of round sprockets, I have seen new sprockets that were not made properly and the elliptical sprocket makes the chain appear tight/loose.

4. bent output shaft, I just had a customer buy a used ST2 and the output shaft is bent. Just like the sprockets above it will cause a elliptical effect. Unlike the sprockets you need to split the cases to fix it, don't over tighten your chain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts