Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentlemen,

I'm looking at purchasing a 2005-2006 999s what are some of the big positives of this bike, and some of the great negatives of the bike????

Positives so far:
1. Ohlins suspension
2. Deep sump motor with T.I. rods!!!
3. Killer looks!!!
4. ?????

Negatives so far:
1. ??????

Are the wheels lighter than the standard 999????

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
They do have the forged aluminium wheels. They're a gorgeous bike, especially in monoposto form.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
fwiw all years of the 999s have the ohilns,deep sump and tii rods.none have lighter wheels (only the ''r'' models) .also very few problems are common with these bikes ,and the servicing is cheaper than the r models as well

·
Registered
20 Posts
2005 Black 999S

I bought mine with 2200 miles as a demo. Now, with 6300 miles and still 7 more months of factory warranty, I can say it is a wonderful motorcycle and sure to please anyone who rides it.

I would consider selling it, though, not because of lack of interest but because it really is suited to very spirited riding by an expert. I am older and really enjoy my other bikes for slower riding and "waste" the 999S on the highway passing trucks from 70-100 mph in fifth gear right where the engine is happy (4800 rpm and above). On back roads I am always holding back and either in second or third or going too fast for my skills.

Make NO MISTAKE....I CAN ride this thing, but when you are real good on a 748 and use all of he engine's output, then it takes a lot of warm up time to be very proficient at riding this beast, that's all. I truly love the bike, in any event. I have it set up with a harness for my Adaptiv radar detector so that all I have to do is plug it into the unit, slip the unit into the mount which is sewn onto the top of my magnetic tank bag and keep my eye on the LED which is plugged into the harness and mounted above the tach. The bright flashing LED gives me more than enough warning and has saved me time and time again. I HIGHLY recommend this system for any and all streetbikes, with a tankbag.

You are too far away to actually buy my bike, but if you want to talk about it, shout back.

·
Registered
20 Posts
PROs/cons

WAY way more pros.

1. Larger fairing on the 2005 compared to the older 999 series which actually works. I can ride mine at high speed all day. Wind is not a problem. If is more comfortable than my ST3, believe it or not, so I know it really works

2. Longer wheelbase than the newer 1098s making it an excellent touring platform.

3. Much more relaxed ergos with the Ferracci risers and tank forward position. I have a gel seat on mine (Ducati Performance) which looks identical to stock, changes nothing except for the comfort. The stock seat really sucks. I think they learned a trick or two from Harley.....oops...that's the con.....

CONS:

1. You need a new seat from day one

2. You need to gear it down (didn't do mine yet) because this thing is FAST!

3. Not really a con, but you need to pay attention because if the rpms drop the engine is not happy (The Ti Rods have spoken)

Black is the more rare color and when polished up she is an angry evil sexy beast!

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
In a totally subjective "I know what I like" sort of way, the '05-'06 models look better to me. I was never a fan of the "gills" in the nose fairing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Cons, almost forgotton

1. If you live in the south, you must be used to engine heat. I prefer riding mine in the cold temps because the engine heat is like a little heater

2. The mirrors look good but suck. There are no aftermarket wider mirrors, I checked. They only make smaller ones.

Another pro for black....sorry, couldn't resist it.

I have a Ventura rack system. (Cycleventure.com) If you visit the website they offer pics of every bike with the bag on the tail.

With a black bike, the rack frame disappears and the grab rail option is great on the 999 because you need to hold something when you wheel it around.

When I take the grab rail off and put the pack-rack on, I can place a bag on there and really enjoy the bike on trips. You can still swing your leg over the bike because the bag faces backward. On other bikes, if you can deal with stepping into the bike instead of swinging a leg over, you can flip the bag the other way so that it sits on the rear seat like a passenger. Then you can fill it up with heavy food shopping if you like, rides like a passenger. I can't say enough about these fabulous racks and bags from www.cycleventure.com

·
Registered
20 Posts
In a totally subjective "I know what I like" sort of way, the '05-'06 models look better to me. I was never a fan of the "gills" in the nose fairing.
Your taste is very well founded. They took the styling cues straight from the moto-gp bike!!

·
Registered
464 Posts
And my view is the exact opposite, I think the narrow vented upper and curved swingarm "look" better.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I have had my 2005 999S for a year now, and I put about 4000 miles on it over the 4 month Canadian riding season. I am 55 yrs old and have been riding for a while. I loved the look of the later model (2005+) 999 and found a great deal on an "S", so I snagged it. The first few weeks of riding informed me of a few sub-optimal issues that were all easily remedied, except for one.

The mirrors are functionally useless. They are easily replaced with the Corse units that bolt right up using the OEM fitment.
The clip-ons are a bit low, and uncomfortably drooped (7 degrees) for street/hiway ridding, in my opinion. I replaced them with LSL raised units which are great and allow me 8+ hour days in the saddle with ease.

While the fairing deflects the wind wellenough, the windshield could be better at displacing air. The Fabri, Solo Pista unit is an excellent alternative.

The bike is geared far too high for city riding. Unless you have every system in spot-on tune, the testastretta hates anything below 3500 rpm. I have managed to get mine to do ok down to almost 2500 RPM but that took some doing. I recommend going down 1 on the front sprocket and up 3 on the back one. (caution the inadvertent front wheel lofting when exiting cloverleafs :D)

They come grossly undersprung at the rear, with a 70 Nm spring. At 220lb I went to a 90 Nm unit and like it alot. (the front springs are fine for anything up to my weight)

The trademark dry-clutch rattle is cute for the first while, but becomes an irritant after a while. It's anything but musical! The OEM clutch cover helps... there are some mods that might help.

The OEM seat is obviously track oriented and uncomfortable for long periods on the slab. The factory comfort seat or the Corbin seat are a great answer to this issue, but the Corbin seat makes moving around on the seat in the twisties something of a challenge.

The exhaust system is designed to bake your right ham. I had the head pipes ceramic-coated, and that helped a little. On a hot day in city traffic, even in leathers, you're going to smell something burning. This is the only unresolvable issue I've found so far.

The 999S is an exciting razor-blade in the twisties, and can be modified to be a more than tolerable way to get to the bendy parts.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gentlemen, Thanks for all the great INTEL on the 999s model, but the deal i was working on didn't work out i will be waiting and still looking for another couple more month!!!

What do you all think of the 999r vs 999s 05-06 series????

The price of the 999r have come down so much it only around another 3-4k for a 999r what do you think of the street nature of that bike??? are is the 999r more of a track only bike???

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, i need to sell my Suzuki TLR, and a ton of other parts and toy's in my garage first, before i go 999s or 999r that would be the smart thing to do, Thanks again Guy's for the info!!!

·
luvmyduke
220 Posts
I've had my 999S for 3 seasons now, just did the 30,000 km maintenance. The main thing in favour of the S versus R for me was the added complication of doing the valves on the R model (removing heads to be safe). I just put BST wheels on it, so they are lighter than the R anyway, and I would probably have put them on an R too.

I put a race mono tail on it, with the Sharkskinz mono tail piece (< $1000), so now have the option of tracking it with very impressive handling/weight, or quickly converting to the biposto with a luggage rack I made, which facilitates multi-day, long haul trips. I think there are very few bikes that can be comfortably and effectively used for both with such little effort in the changeover. I have flipped many bikes over the years, usually after a couple of seasons, because they just got boring: I see no end in sight for the 999S.

What it is NOT good at - and I see no fix for this - is city riding. It is built to be moving fast at high rpm.

Gentlemen, Thanks for all the great INTEL on the 999s model, but the deal i was working on didn't work out i will be waiting and still looking for another couple more month!!!

What do you all think of the 999r vs 999s 05-06 series????

The price of the 999r have come down so much it only around another 3-4k for a 999r what do you think of the street nature of that bike??? are is the 999r more of a track only bike???

·
Registered
160 Posts
2 seasons on my bike. Love it. Use if for spirited mountain rides, commuting and track.
What ever the old farts above claim, it is a very comfortable bike. They should just work out a bit more and build some core strength, hehe. Or buy a Harley.

Picking up this bike should be a no brainer. The cost 25K$ new and now can be found for 10K$. Maximum depreciation has already hit, you possible stand to loose 3K$ on the bike. Who cares ?

While docile on the street, these are ideal track scalpels. Mine can be converted to full track set-up in less than 1 hour.
Agree on the rear shock comment somebody else made. I also beefed up my spring.

Enjoy it !

·
Registered
272 Posts
I also have a 2006 999s and it is a fantastic bike. i am 25 and I find the bike to be VERY comfortable, VERY planted, VERY smooth on the power delivery and an absolute blast. I am surprised that I do not see more people out there on these things because they cost about the same as a new jap bike and the beauty is far beyond that of any jap bike. I get thumbs up, stares and comments on this thing almost everytime i am out riding.

B

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gentlemen,

looks like i will be getting a 05 black 999s mono!!!! what gearing do you recommend?

I believe stock is 15f - 36r? how does 14f - 38r sound? are is that to much with the T.I. Rods?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I was told not to use the 14T on my 999R because it can damage something or other. Most people start out at 15 / 40 and end up going 15 / 42. I am still at 15 / 40 but may go up another two just to check it out the insanity.

The next thing you will want to do is the springs for both the shock and forks.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
15tooth is perfered solely for chain life.generally you will never see any bike with more than 120 hp with a 14 tooth counter

1 - 20 of 25 Posts