Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys..

well. as the topic says i messed up: i'll tell the story of me being stupid below.. and below that the issue of my question.

the story of me being stupid:
well since recently i have a tomtom rider GPS.. i deviced a way to mount it to my motorbike so it would be in good view, but also not int he way if any cockpit functions.
i managed to make a aluminium plate withe some holes from a bit of scrap aluminium and mounted this under the two bolts that holds the plastic cover around the starter lock.

this worked perfectly... but as it was from scrap i felt like.. well i have a bike that is still rather beautifull. lets make a nice version of it.. and so i did..
but apparently the bit of aluminium i took wasn't from the same quality.. as on my first ride it broke of.. :(
no problem just make a new one from a different lamterial. so i went behind my freecad program and started to design something i could 3d print, based on this bit of metal.. but as i woyuld make it from printed plastic it would have to be a lot more solid. so i decided to take the lock covering plastic off.. so i could take it to my computer and measure while working. but ofcourse i bumped into the key code antenna that is build in.. but it seemed to be kept clicked into place with two pieces of plastic.. the first one broke of as soon as i touched it.. but the antenna itself also hase a clicky bitt of plastic sticking out.. so i gently (honoustly.. gently) pulled the anttenna ring with some pliers to try to nudge it out of place so i could take it out.. (only because i was to lazy to go and see how this was electrically connected!!!) but the bit of clicky antenna plastic tore off (only minutely) leaving the bundel of wires which makes the antenna visual, but no displacement , bending or braking of any wires.. checked. there is still conitinity through the antenna. anyway i gently pushed it back and decided this had been a terrible idea..

went to get my keys and tried to start my bike.. but to no avail. :( neither with my black not the red key does the engine start.. the fuel pump does prime though and the cockpit lights up as it normally should.

so i finally did what i sould have done.. looked up how it was connected and found this was rather easy to to disconnect.. and did just so.. so now i'm sitting here behind my desk. typing instead of designing the mount thing.

The question:
for most: how can i verify that the antenna is actually broke. somthing which i personally actually doubt as there is no sign of bending nor breaking and there is still continuity..)
second. if it is not broke.. what else could be wrong.. did i mess up the "mind of the ecu" and should i do something special to get it working again?

i checked.. the following:
side stand: was folded in (i have a ride in clamp so i don't use my side stand when parked at home.
red safety switch: was normally on.
gear: was in neutral

i rode it late yesterday evening, arrived home late for work so had to leave it out in the rain over night, after which i pushed it in manually this morning.
but it has been in the rain many times before., never had any problem, so doubt there being any cause.
as said above, the fuel pomp primes, the cockpit makes it's normal walk trough the lights and only the neutral light, oil pressure (since it was not running) and the left orange engine lights were on. the latter probably being the signal of the problem.

any thoughts?

Kind regards

Matt

ps: in the mean time i will go and design the thingy, and ofcourse i will post this only once finished.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
When I got my bike used, it would sometimes not turn off the immobilizer. I found that by placing the second key strategically near the cover, it would always work. When I took the cover that holds the antenna off, I found that someone had had it apart before and a few of the plastic bits were broken. However, it was installed in the exact correct place and there was nothing wrong with the antenna except that a small piece of the plastic covering it was gone so I could see the coil. I could not for the life of me figure out how that could make any difference since the coil was not disturbed in any way. BTW, poor design. Anyone visiting for there first time would break things. I ordered a new one and the cover and installed them and achieved 100% functionality. Still don't know why.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you.. !

sounds like an exact copy of my situation... so i recon i'll go and order a new set then. fortunatly not that expensive allthough thinking about what it is...
and indeed very poor construction.

thanks for your reply!

Kind regards

Matt

1 - 3 of 3 Posts