Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All of the well nuts on my 996 are dry rotted and cracked. I’ve meant to get around to replacing them but I figured it isn’t getting ridden right now so it can wait.

Then I ride to work one dry day a week or so ago but hurriedly put the bike away after my return and failed to inspect post ride. Seems I lost a screw and well nut during my ride to or from work.

Not that big a deal but there were already 2 missing when I got the 996. Now 3 are missing and I figured it was time to replace all the well nuts and the missing screws.

Maybe I was dreaming but I would swear I’ve seen someone selling a kit. 916/996/998/748 windscreen kit complete with well nuts.

My immediate thought was, I’d seen it on Desmotimes so I checked there first. Nope. Found a 5mm kit for STs there.

Checked MotoWheels and Bellisimoto after that, still no luck. Then Amazon and eBay. No luck there either.

Seen one being sold somewhere and now cannot for the life of me remember where. Anyone? Thanks for the help....sean

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I purchased a set from Ducati1_shop on Ebay

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Just searched eBay for seller Ducati1_shop and got zero results. Seller no longer listed. Thanks for the tip though...sean

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have boxes of these:

Great quality, very inexpensive when bought by the box.
I may go that route.....but seriously, the only bike they'll get used on is the 996, and I only have one of them. Thanks for the tip.......sean

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nope....those are 5mm. I can find those all day. The ones for the 996, at least the ones on mine are tiny. 4mm maybe. They're also stainless steel torx head screws. I know I've seen them someplace. Mainly because I thought it odd when I did see them.......sean

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't bother with a kit. Buy them by the bag at Fastenal or McMaster-Carr.
Because, I don't need a bag. I don't even need a complete kit. Just the well nuts and 3 of the screws. I have a local Fastenal....but their selection pales in comparison to what I find at our local old school ACE Hardware. These are pretty specific though. Wide, shallow pan head with torx drive. I'm certain I've seen a kit offered with the exact screws I'm after. I just don't know where it was....thanks for the tip though....sean

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
They're available as a kit from Omaha Ducati:
69920721A - SCREW & NUT KIT

Regular price $10.23

However, that is one screw, and one well nut included in the kit.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ducati 69920721A is the only supplier of the original look ones afaik.
At one time or other, someone sold a complete kit for $60 ish USD. All 9 replica screws plus the well nuts. If I can't find that one again, I'll be going the OEM route. At least for the missing screws and well nuts. I can probably find the well nuts for the rest at ACE Hardware......sean

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After further research I found that Desmotimes carries the Pro-Bolt replacement windscreen kit for under $25. While these are not the OEM torx screws, they are the appropriate 4mm fine thread screws. Limited to silver or black on the site.

Seeing that, I went to the Pro-Bolt USA site where they have them in a range of colors. That part isn’t important. What is, is that Pro-Bolt has them in Stainless, Aluminum and Titanium. That and Pro-Bolt says they use Ducati spec well nuts.

Just have a decision or two now. Color or natural? Ti, ally or SS? Still contemplating the OEM fasteners though.....$30 ish for 3 is very nearly to the price of a complete set in Ti.....hmmm 1st world problems...😬

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks Brad, that's exactly what I needed.......more to follow as I work out in my head what exactly I want to do......Ti has a certain draw.....as does going OEM

Super freaking glad you posted the link....they have a ton more stuff I'm interested in....sean

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again for the link Brad. I followed it to their store front and ordered a Ti windshield kit in black. I liked that their windshield bolts aren't plain, even if they're not Torx.

While I ordered the black version of the pictured one, this fits the bill for what I needed. Not exactly what I originally wanted but after looking at these, I'm not displeased with the choice.

I went to the normal website, outside of eBay and they have a bunch more stuff I'm interested in. Ti front axle for my 996 for example, as well as a dust cover for when it's in the garage and not being ridden. Now, if only they made a Ti front axle for my 900SS....

Thanks again Brad.......sean

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Thanks again for the link Brad. I followed it to their store front and ordered a Ti windshield kit in black. I liked that their windshield bolts aren't plain, even if they're not Torx.

While I ordered the black version of the pictured one, this fits the bill for what I needed. Not exactly what I originally wanted but after looking at these, I'm not displeased with the choice.

I went to the normal website, outside of eBay and they have a bunch more stuff I'm interested in. Ti front axle for my 996 for example, as well as a dust cover for when it's in the garage and not being ridden. Now, if only they made a Ti front axle for my 900SS....

Thanks again Brad.......sean
I've gotten a set of Ti windscreen nuts and a full set of Ti Dzus to replace some old ones that got damaged in a hurricane; everything came out looking pretty good :) I've been happy with their quality.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts