Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since I had read somewhere in this forum that Zard exhausts would interfere with the right rear turn signal (heat, discoloration of the chrome, etc.) and because I thought the esthetics of the rear could be improved if the turn signals were somewhat closer to the brake light, I took on the task of shortening the stalks on a taillight assemble I acquired through EBay.
After disassembly (please refer to the attached pics) I cut out a section of the chrome stalk at the first marking (pic 1) and a section of the black brake light stalk (pic 2). The trickiest part was shortening the rubber coupler that joins both parts of the stalk and retain the shape of the tip which is essential for proper re-assembly (pic 3). Pic 4 shows all the removed segments. Once together the modded taillight assembly is considerably shorter (close to 4 inches) from end to end (pic 5), moving the right turn signal further from the Zard exhaust can and bringing the overall dimensions of the taillights more in tune (IMO) with the size and shape of the PS rear end (pics 6 and 7).
It was about a four hour job and quite tedious to be honest.
Opinions welcome.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Excellent! I think the stock lights are the best for this bike, look period correct compared to that awful LED stuff, and the narrower profile is that much better! Well done!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad you like it. That's the idea: OEM look but more in line with the original design elements and a little less constricted by gov regs.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Very nice! I have Zards on my bike too and like the look of the stock tail lights and blinkers.

Was it difficult to cut out parts of the blinkers? What did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Used a Dremel with a fine cutting wheel for the stalk cuts and a fine burr to shape the inner rubber coupler. It's detailed work and no room for error but not extremely difficult if you've got the patience.
Very nice! I have Zards on my bike too and like the look of the stock tail lights and blinkers.

Was it difficult to cut out parts of the blinkers? What did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
431 Posts
Watsens are my favorite. Kepps the round brake light

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
87 Posts
I like what you did here. My project right now (if I can start it:( ) is to chop the turn signals and patch the brake like to look stock. There is another thread of someone doing that on here. I found a guy that will chop it for $75

My problem is finding similar turn signals that look classic and fit the bike style. I plan to mount them to the side of the fender.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Is be in on a mini fleda. I think it would be great proportionally and more my style. Looking forward to seeing it!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 12 of 12 Posts