Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Does anybody know if Ducati made heated grips for the ST3, and if Multistrada ones will fit. I have the chance at a set at a good price. As far as I can see they will fit.

thanks

David

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was told by my dealer that the Multi grips will not fit the ST3. Something to do with the throttle tube. I ended up putting Hot Grips which I hated. They might as well have been made of rock. Now I did discover that the fuse box on the ST3 did have a slot for the heated grips with a label saying such. Why Ducati never made ones for the bike I have not idea.

I would say double check with your dealer. If you can make them work that would be awesome as the Multi grips are very good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi
Does anybody know if Ducati made heated grips for the ST3, and if Multistrada ones will fit. I have the chance at a set at a good price. As far as I can see they will fit.

thanks

David
Howdy from Central Texas! My dealer in Waco, TX (Euroshop of Waco 254- 757-2453) was able to fit Multistrada heated grips on my ST3 and they are absolutely wonderful. I ride every day rain or shine down to 28F so far with Aerostich tan lined gloves and my hands are toasty all the time. It did take some modification but I don't have the specifics so I would call them and see what it took.

Take care,

David (CarpeDNA)

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Howdy from Central Texas! My dealer in Waco, TX (Euroshop of Waco 254- 757-2453) was able to fit Multistrada heated grips on my ST3 and they are absolutely wonderful. I ride every day rain or shine down to 28F so far with Aerostich tan lined gloves and my hands are toasty all the time. It did take some modification but I don't have the specifics so I would call them and see what it took.

Take care,

David (CarpeDNA)
Thanks

Bought some cheap on eBay, and a used ST3 twistgrip. Now to marry them together. I'll give the dealer a call or email

David

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Take care,

David (CarpeDNA)
Where did they put the switch?

David

·
Registered
17 Posts
Where did they put the switch?

David
The two-level switch (very warm and very hot) was mounted on the left side cockpit cover just under the handlebars. It is easy to operate at speed. FYI- if you run a heated vest you may want to be sure you put an accessory plug on a different circuit because I blew a fuse yesterday running both the grips and my vest on the same circuit. I just unplugged the vest and plugged in under the seat. Kinda hard to do at 70 mph on I-35 in the rain at 40F.

David

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The two-level switch (very warm and very hot) was mounted on the left side cockpit cover just under the handlebars. It is easy to operate at speed. FYI- if you run a heated vest you may want to be sure you put an accessory plug on a different circuit because I blew a fuse yesterday running both the grips and my vest on the same circuit. I just unplugged the vest and plugged in under the seat. Kinda hard to do at 70 mph on I-35 in the rain at 40F.

David
Thanks

Took the fairing off today (It's only 25F and the bike is outside). So as I figure this task out I'll take photos for everyone's benefit

David

·
Registered
116 Posts
David,

pls let me know how this works out. I've got the same bike (04 ST3) and want FACTORY heated grips, too. need details and pics! thanks!

Bruce

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OEM heated grips for ST3? - getting there slowly

I've added some photos to show the extent of the problem. The cable mounting is very different.
I figured out two solutions.
1. reduce the diameter of the Multi grip, bore out the cable holder on the ST3 part and slip one over the other. The problem is that there is only about 2mm thickness.

2. Cut the two grips and make a stepped joint - this is the way the machinist went. Could have done it myself with a Stanley knife. This could be done as a tenon joint so that it won't pull apart. I had to glue with JB Weld. Seems strong enough.

The left grip is secured with screws that go into the left bar. Haven't drilled & tapped the holes yet as the bike is outside in the cold.
I'll update as I get further along.

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Having No problems with Hot Grips on '07 ST3s

I run a set of Hot Grips without any problems so I was surprised to hear one of the members saying he did. I just installed them on a 4th bike, again no problems and I'm running an electric vest on all as well. No mods to the electrical system on any of the bikes: 2000 Aprilia Pegaso, Kawasaki Ninja 650R, 2007 Ducati ST3s, & 2009 Piaggio MP3-500. With that for a track record I wonder if the guy with problems got himself a bad set? Could happen. BTW, all of the Hot Grips were ordered with the optional rheostat heat control, don't know if that would make any difference, can't imagine why it would. Just my 2 cts on this.

LL75

·
Registered
30 Posts
I run a set of Hot Grips without any problems so I was surprised to hear one of the members saying he did. I just installed them on a 4th bike, again no problems and I'm running an electric vest on all as well. No mods to the electrical system on any of the bikes: 2000 Aprilia Pegaso, Kawasaki Ninja 650R, 2007 Ducati ST3s, & 2009 Piaggio MP3-500. With that for a track record I wonder if the guy with problems got himself a bad set? Could happen. BTW, all of the Hot Grips were ordered with the optional rheostat heat control, don't know if that would make any difference, can't imagine why it would. Just my 2 cts on this.

LL75
Larry, I'm about to install a set of Hot Grips on my 05 ST 3 and wondered if you used the grip heater circuit for the power or connected directly to the battery?:confused:

Another question regarding the Hot Grips install, Can you run the Throttle Meister with the Hot Grips?:D

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Whatever circuit you decide to use, it wisest to go with one that's switched off, when the key is off.

Otherwise, it's too easy to forget to turn them off, and you'll be real dissapointed the next morning with a dead battery.

Dunno about ? #2

·
Mr Leakered
8,925 Posts
I have Oxford Heaterz installed. They have a low voltage battery protection circuit which is nice. I also have a Throttlemeister (TM) installed. The grips do tend to bind against the TM every once in a while, esp when they are on in the winter. It is no worse than having the TM engaged and can be a very minor annoyance. Although, I would not ride without the TM or heated grips. I sometimes pull and wiggle the TM outward just a tad to free it up.

If it felt like the TM was giving too much resistance, you could loosen it and move it outward enough that it wouldn't function during heated grip season. The TM total engagement is less than 1/8in. For me though, I use the heated grips throughout the year for cold summer mornings, mountain passes, etc. They allow me to ride with thinner summer gloves from early spring to late fall with no need to pack extra, just-in-case gloves during the warm months.

Have a good one.

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
879 Posts
heated grip connector is taped to the top of the instrument cluster

You did know it's there? Switched and fused....

·
Registered
30 Posts

Take care,

David (CarpeDNA)
$$$$ how much???????:)

Rod

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought Multi grips on eBay for $130 and a spare twistgrip for ST for $15.

Mated the two and now I have warm hands

David

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Sorry for the thread diversion, but...

This month's motorcycle consumer news (usa) has a review on 6 afterrmarket grip heaters.

Not sure why there would be any advantage to installing and hacking Multi heated grips on an ST unless you just wanted to. There's no built-in support for the kit since the switch has to be installed somewhere clever, and the grip/throttle has to be sorted. Would this still work for those using the aluminum G2 throttle tube? My guess is probably not.

I did install a Heat Demon kit on a brand H a couple of years ago. These are the ones that just slip inside the bar and no other changes are required. My concern was they would not get as hot as quickly as some other styles (the factory heaters on a recent B-brand get melt-your-hands uncomfortable on hi), but I was pleasantly surprised. They get plenty hot for me and I have to turn them DOWN after 20 min or so, and they take about 2-4 minutes to make noticeable heat at the grip, but this was on a bike with large mass in the steel handlebars. The MCN review confirms they don't get as hot as some others, but said they were plenty hot and had a really clean install, and the led switch looks factory slick. They are not terribly cheap. I was quite surprised they did as well as they did heat wise, but I am not in the arctic circle either and stop riding much below the freezing point.

Not sure if the bars are indeed hollow on the St4s but I think they are so it would require just running the wires out through the plastic bar plugs and installing the 4 level switch. I was going to do this over the winter on the '04 ST4S. If someone can confirm or could share any Heat Demon install experience on an ST that would be helpful.

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
879 Posts
they are hollow

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I bought some Oxford Hotgrips at the beginning of the year, and what a load of rubbish they have been, they lasted about 3 trips then started to go into hot only which is a bit uncomfortable! Oxford changed the control cables and they have lasted 3 trips before the left hand grip stopped working and now the controller power light comes on and the 30% light flashes then goes off!

I will not buy any of these grips again!!!

John

·
Mr Leakered
8,925 Posts
Wow. Sorry to hear that. These Hotgrips are called Heaterz here due to the naming implications.

I've been using mine for over three years. They were transferred between two bikes even. I did have to redo the grip and controller connectors recently as they were worn out by all the steering head motion. But, that was quick and easy with the Posi-Lock connectors that webBikeWorld is all excited about.

I guess quality over at Oxford has taken a nose dive.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts