Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I believe my OEM mufflers have been cored, so I'm wondering if my sound is more similar to aftermarket pipes (Termi, etc) than not? Your thoughts. Here is a pic looking into the tail pipes. Should I upgrade or enjoy what I have?

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
Mine were the same and I found them very loud. Previous owner liked them that way but did say he had to wear ear plugs all the time.

But with my pipes, the outlet looks to be slightly larger than the one in your photo.

I ended up finding a new pair of Duc Performance alloy slip-ons that I feel sounded a lot nicer. They are straight through but have a perforated tube and (I suppose) fibre glass wrap around that and are about half way between my loud cored pipes and the standard early (93) pipes I bought off eBay. I also bought another pair of later model (900/888) pipes that were far too quiet. Even for me.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Struggling with decision

bump for more advice:

I'm considering the following, but hard to decide because I don't know how my cans sound in comparison to others....and I can't go buy all of them to trial-and-error the issue??

I plan to re-mount the cans higher and eliminate passenger foot pegs.

1. keep my cans and polish them (Mother's Polish)
2. Termi Carbon Fiber cans
3. Staintubes cans
4. Ducati Performance cans
5. D&D cans

I DON'T want my bike quieter than the current sound. Louder would be okay. Please remember that my OEM pipes are cored.

Your thoughts??

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
from what i have heard the d&d are the loudest of the selection

·
8,278 Posts
I forgot to mention that my pipes are cored and a little louder than my buddies DP pipes on his 750, although his has a deeper tone.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Consider this, what else could you get for the price you are willing to dish on pipes. Unless you are really looking to drop some weight (which is never a bad thing) your stock pipes look good on your bike IMO. A little mothers polish and those babies will shine right up. Spend the money on other fun parts.

If you really want pipes then I wouldn't go D & D. Never liked that sound, looks or anything about them. I have Duc Performance CF Remus High mounts on mine 99+ and would never go back to stock even if they were cored.

Either way your bike has a nice clean look and I think you should continue with it. Just don't go sticking a big yellow sticker on the side or anything :p

·
8,278 Posts
Consider this, what else could you get for the price you are willing to dish on pipes. Unless you are really looking to drop some weight (which is never a bad thing) your stock pipes look good on your bike IMO. A little mothers polish and those babies will shine right up. Spend the money on other fun parts.

If you really want pipes then I wouldn't go D & D. Never liked that sound, looks or anything about them. I have Duc Performance CF Remus High mounts on mine 99+ and would never go back to stock even if they were cored.

Either way your bike has a nice clean look and I think you should continue with it. Just don't go sticking a big yellow sticker on the side or anything :p
+1
Nice looking bike.
Have you checked your swing arm bearings, steering head bearings, torqued the engine mounting bolts? There a lot of this you can do with that machine besides just pipes.:cool:

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
some great advice guys. My next step (easiest step) is to try the Mother's polish and see if they can shine up. If I'm successful, I do want to mount them high at some point. I will still pursue some local guys so I can hear the different cans....I'm still curious.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
do they have A04 and B04 stamped on them? they're std mufflers with the removable baffle removed. they were the mufflers originally fitted to '89 851 and the easily removable baffle was the mod for open pipes on your 851. they got fitted to all carby 900ss bikes except some of the usa spec 900sp models that had the larger 888 mufflers. i found they give a really harsh sound with the baffle out, whereas any of your normal straight thru aftermarket mufflers are less raspy.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ZDM-A11 and B11 is stamped on the mufflers and they've been cored.

do they have A04 and B04 stamped on them? they're std mufflers with the removable baffle removed. they were the mufflers originally fitted to '89 851 and the easily removable baffle was the mod for open pipes on your 851. they got fitted to all carby 900ss bikes except some of the usa spec 900sp models that had the larger 888 mufflers. i found they give a really harsh sound with the baffle out, whereas any of your normal straight thru aftermarket mufflers are less raspy.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I think you need my Two Bros cans! They will match your shinny swingarm and they are very loud! :D

·
Registered
68 Posts
Actually, Zealot has a good point. Two Bros sounds good and then you wouldn't be spending an arm and a leg on Termi. I know he was talking about changing it up for his bike, maybe you two can strike up a deal. And no he's not giving me a cut to say this.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Sorry, I don't want to start another thread and I have done loads of research on these forums but not come up with someone giving a definitive answer but if OEM exhaust is cored, will you need to rejet the carbs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just cored my 1999 750SS this afternoon. -Figured I'd share the story.

I removed the exaust and there was a mounting braket on the sleave left over.
I removed the mounting bolts from the tab itself, and one of the bolts broke off inside the can when I was using the impact driver. oh well.
Then I drilled out the 3 rivets on the cap.
I hacked away gingerly at the aluminum cap with a screw driver. Then I struggled for 10 minutes with a buddy trying to remove the sleeve. I put it in front of the garage heater for a minute and then it was nice n hot. -came off easier.
I drilled the main pipe off in the first chamber using a saws all and a circular grinder. Then cut a hole in the end where the cap attached, and the little pipe slid right out, leaving a nice deep chamber. The other pipe got cut too, and, as you may notice there are two little pipes within the exhaust. some people only cut one...I cut both. No worries. ...anyways

I'll make a long story short and say it went ok. just exhausting though, no pun intended. I screwed up once when putting the sleeve back on, and the holes for the mounting tab didnt line up, so I had to struggle for another 10 minutes, lol. but it went back on fine, and bolted right back up.

The sound is awesome. The fiberglass wrap I found under the sleeve was a pain in the butt, and I only ended up using half of it when I reinstalled. I'm doing the other one tomorrow. Sounds nice n deep, but not too loud.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Staintunes have, by far, the best sound. Very deep and full. Possibly not as 'loud' as others, but a full sound. I've heard other SS bikes with different pipes, and while some may be loud, they don't have the deep bark that the Staintunes have.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've been through it all with my exhaust.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/57-supersport/97249-cored-stock-exhaust-revisit.html

Basically, I wanted my stock pipes to be louder, (and I was a little bored) so I tore them apart. I cut pretty much everything out of them and welded in some 1-1/2" stainless perforated tube and repacked them. Long story short, they sounded great but needed complete re-jetting. Without the rejet, the bike was running very lean and would backfire and spit at idle and on deceleration. The tone of the exhaust was just a hair deeper than stock, but much louder.

Since then, I purchased a set of used carbon Gio.ca.moto high pipes for cheap and installed those. The tone was wayyy deeper and the overall driveability was totally improved. Each slip on is about 3 pounds lighter than the stock pipes+passenger pegs. (4.5lbs each verses stock 7.5lbs)

About a month ago I got very lucky and got a set of used high mount termis on Ebay Germany. Shipping was brutal, but the overall price was great. I haven't installed them yet, because the bike is currently getting welded at the headstock. These are even a pound lighter than the Giocamotos. I'll post a vid once it's up and running.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts