Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interested in some aux. lights for my 2018 1260 . Seeing that the Ducati kit is over 500 bucks plus having the dealer enabling the canbus system . Can anyone tell me if the lights are any good . Can't find any lumen ratings or power draw . Would be nice use the oe switch on the bars but i have some komy led cree lights that i could find a suitable power source to tap into and skip the canbus system .
Thanks for any input

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can't speak to the OEM setup but I'm happy with my aftermarket DRLs/aux brake lights and Ducati driving lights with extra switches. The performance of the lights, for me, outweighs using the OEM switch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I use the switch on the bike with any light (many used before current setup) at all. Currently running Baja XL80s (160W set, 19k lm).

The trick is to take the wire from the Ducati switch to the switched power slot of the lights’ relay. And then wire up the rest of the aux light setup direct from the battery as always on. So in essence the bike when off doesn’t let the relay take power to the lights. And when you turn the bike off completely, the lights stay off when you restart which is exactly how I wanted it.

This way the ducati electronics never feel the load of the lights, you haven’t cut/spliced any wires and you still can use the light switch Ducati provided. The dealer has to enable the switch though.

If you use the Ducati GPS or other power source, the wattage is limited by the canbus circuitry’s capacity.

Feroci: 2016 Multistrada 1200 S | India

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interested in some aux. lights for my 2018 1260 .
Thanks for any input
My suggestion would be get Squadron Sport or Pro from Baja Designs based on your budget/light requirement. And... solved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
The Ducati Performance lights work well. Yes, they are expensive. No, they don't put out as many raw lumens as some of the aftermarket options. Unlike most of the aftermarket lights, the DP lamps have an appropriate focusing lens for a fog/aux lamp, they aren't trying to flood the space in front of the bike (and the eyes of any oncoming driver) with light. They provide a useful amount of additional light, mainly to the immediate front and sides. It's a compliment to the throw of the headlamp, without much overlap.

If I was riding off-road, at night, I'd want something else. Otherwise they're a solid choice, and won't blind oncoming vehicles.

Regarding power draw, I've never hooked a meter up to them, but I've run them with the heated grips on, and a Gerbing jacket liner at max heat, and never had an issue. Last time I did that was about six hours straight, mostly lower RPM interstate stuff. I think you'd be fine, the alternator on these bikes is fairly stout.

·
Premium Member
3,425 Posts
Dp lights are ditch/fog lights and they’re excellent at it... filling in and broadening the led beam patterns... MUCH easier to see suicidal deer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your input .
Looks like i'll use my Komy setup that i took off my previous bike . I used it in conjunction with a dimmer from ADV monster . It allows me to dim them while on low beam and kicks them up to full when high beams are on . I'll get the stock switch enabled by the dealer and have it power a relay to control the basic off /on function .
Cheers

·
Premium Member
3,425 Posts
Dp lights are ditch/fog lights and they’re excellent at it... filling in and broadening the led beam patterns... MUCH easier to see suicidal deer.
IIRC they can be mounted to the bike even without the bars...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts