Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested to know what mileage owners got from the OE Pirelli Scorpion II tires supplied with their Multistrada. I have a 3,000 mile tour coming up this summer and don't want to get part way to discover bald tires on the Multistrada in the middle of nowhere! I have seen some reports of 6,500 miles for the rear tire but also worrying rumors of as little as 3,000 miles. I think that this information will be useful to all new Multi owners contemplating a tour, and using search has not turned up a thread focussed on this subject. Please note if your tire is a retail replacement rather than an OE tire, as I understand that tire manufacturers sometimes may use a different rubber composition for OE tires at the bike manufacturers' request.

·
Sophomore Member
2,572 Posts
I got 6k out of my stock rear before an irreparable puncture. I figure it had 500-1000 miles left before hitting the wear bar. Front will probably get 8k. Those miles are almost entirely solo, but did include 2000 miles of loaded down interstate. I seem to be particularly gentle with tires on the street.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My rear was close to toast at around 4 and front a little better. Replace with the Pilot 5s and with about 5K on them still looking very good except the chain is biting the heck out of the sidewall. Dealer now needs to sort this out as they haven't seen this before.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
I got about 5500 Km with some cupping on the front. Have 2500 Km on Road 5’s and they look and feel great! Hoping to get 7000 on them.

·
Registered
692 Posts
My rear was close to toast at around 4 and front a little better. Replace with the Pilot 5s and with about 5K on them still looking very good except the chain is biting the heck out of the sidewall. Dealer now needs to sort this out as they haven't seen this before.
I'm not enchanted with these Scorpions OEM tires. In fact, I'm not impressed at all with Ducati's decision to put these on the Pike Peak.
They have no cornering angle. I'm at the edge of the tire and have yet to scrape anything but my right toe which I neglected to tuck-in.

What you wrote about PR5's was previously documented on this or another forum. It is disturbing to say the least.
Not all 190 tires are 190mm wide and the true width are not published by the manufacturers in their specification sheets.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I changed my original scorpion trail tires at 7400 miles, they were still serviceable. Roadtec z01's are still going and just starting to flat in the center St 12.8k.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Many thanks to this thread's contributors for taking the time to supply useful information.

It seems like anywhere between 3,400 and 7,400 miles can be expected from the OE Pirelli Scorpion Trail II tires. I assume that this range of tire life is due to different load, riding style and the type of roads ridden and their surface properties. However, it does present a conundrum for a 3,000-mile trip with 1,500 - 2,000 miles already on the tires. I suppose that the safe decision would be to put a new Pirelli on the back before leaving on the tour and keep the original for remounting when that new tire has worn out. By the time that the refitted original wears out the front should be toast too, and a new pair of tires could be fitted, probably of a different brand/model.

·
15 Posts
My recommendation is to start with new rubber if there is any question on a long trip. Monday I returned from a 2,500 mile trip from Austin, TX to Deals Gap, NC. I thought I had plenty of tread left, but after 700 miles into the return, the rear was down to the cord with 350 miles to go. I was watching it closely prior to this with white knuckle riding on the interstate. The Michelin Road 5 was pushing 7,500 miles.

Spent the night in Texarkana to find a tire the next morning. Cycle Zone of Texarkana was very helpful with a great owner and mechanic. Unfortunately, the only 190 tire they had was a Shimko 190/50. This is a piece of crap tire! Very flat profile with high angle edges. Almost lost the bike on simple sweepers with the bike wanting to tip onto the edges of the POS tire.

New Road 5's ordered and will not ride the bike until installed!

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
Where you going? Rather than swapping out your tire prematurely, plan a tire replacement mid trip. Call ahead, make an appointment and have them order in the tire. Inform the shop that you want it swapped while you wait and that you’re in the middle of a long road trip, I’ve done that in the past. One note on the OEM scorpions, there were a lot of posts by members experiencing an unusual amount of flats, tire puncture. Never happened to me. And I think I got at least 7k out of the rear before I replaced it the Michelin Pilot Road 4. Now I have the 5’s.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Too late for OP but I wouldn't leave town w/o new tires.

My rear tire went flat around 5,000 mi. and couldn't be patched. The closest Ducati dealer was almost 600 mi. away. Every shop, store and garage I called within towing distance could/would not touch a Ducati. As I found out, even if they could, they wouldn't have been able to.

Fortunately, a friend bailed me out and picked me up with his trailer. We took the bike to a store/shop that only sells and installs motorcycle tires. They had the socket to remove the rear wheel but couldn't break the nut. The next two days the local Ducati was closed (Sun and Mon). After a tow the the dealer, they broke the nut loose.

I had no idea how difficult it would be to replace a tire while traveling. And expensive!

The tire had a gash that couldn't be effectively patched and needed to be replaced. If you feel the tire carcass before mounting, or in a shop or from an old tire, you'll see how thin it is compared with a tire like the PR 5. That's probably why there are a lot of reports of flats and punctures.

I replaced them with PR5s, which I think are the best iteration of the PR line. I've got 7,800 mi on the pair and they still look and ride fine, but I'm starting to feel some sluggish handling. Will replace around 8,500-9,000.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts