Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there have the OE light kit out there. Can you let me know how they function ( turn on and off , do they do anything else? Dim ... flash )
The OE harness is three wire and in not sure what the 3rd wire is for
Setting up different lights and plugging into the stock location

Thank you

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
On and off... not switched with highbeams, not dimmable... absolutely nothing fancy (though they work well... glad I got them). The switch probably has 3 wires because it's more complicated than the lights (canbus or something nuts like that).

Also... they're not driving lights... they're more accurately defined as "fog lights", great job lighting the side of the road but not intended to throw down the road.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So how do they turn on ?
wondering if I should just run to the battery and give up on attaching to the OE location

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
on dvt bikes there's a switch on the left grip to the right of the highbeam switch.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Got my lights after buying the bike and the kit comes with a switch just like the gt version did. It clamps on bar inboard of the left switchgear. At least on my 2014 it does, and the power for them is same as the ducati GPS power I think...

If you're not using the factory Ducati lights just get power from the battery via a relay.

Oh yeah, 3rd wire could be trigger wire because the lights go of when you shut down the bike.

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
yea that's it... bit of a finger stretch to reach it but you get used to it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
You're on a tear aren't ya. lol

I'm looking to mount some lights as well, but I don't intend to get crash bars.

Where did you get the mounts for those lights, and is mounting them to the forks like that pretty much the only option if you don't have crash bars?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yea I’m a spaz ..... got this light as the turn signals are the orange ring on the light face
I removed the hand shields ( you can use the orange as a DRL as well if you like )
This light was just released last week
The are CJ designs ( ktm guy )
Just a really clean set up
Just want a clean wiring set up

Have not found a better mount

·
Super Moderator
8,249 Posts
I installed some VisionX Optimus round Halo lights on my crashbars. Quality Products with a lifetime warranty and they also offer diffrent snap on filters for beam throw and beam color (like amber, blue, red, Euro, flood, diffusion, spot)
Wired them up so that the low Power HALO is on with lowbeam and the main Power can be turned on manually or with operating the normal full beam.
If you have a Ducati with Halogen highbeam (all 10-14) , its very easy to tie in some aux lights to work with the normal highbeam switch/flash (Yes, including 12-14 Touring with LED only lowbeam)
If you own a full LED DVT, it takes a special decoder, made by a member here, to get aftermarket or OEM aux lights to work with the fullbeam/flasher button. But its totally. I just like the aux lights to turn off and on with the highbeam, that way it all comes on at once. But the dinky Little foglights they send from the factory dont need it.

Halo only

One single 10W optimus:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yea I’m a spaz ..... got this light as the turn signals are the orange ring on the light face
I removed the hand shields ( you can use the orange as a DRL as well if you like )

Well done. Please keep us informed of every facet of this endeavor. Like yourself, many of us are attempting to keep the bike light and clean where adding crash bars just to install additional lighting is not a feasible option. I even replaced the battery with a lithium which has now lightened the Multi PP below 500 lbs wet. Also removed the swing-arm mud-guard for additional weight saving. On this note, the rear suspension became noticeably more responsive without it.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Do you have a link to the lights and mounts?
I have been on the CJ site but I'm not seeing them, their site kinda sucks.

TIA

·
Premium Member
4,346 Posts
I'd be a bit worried about the bright driving light washing out the turn signal on that ring design. most people won't look at a super bright light source and it would be very easy to miss a colored source adjacent to a super bright white source.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I will shoot Craig an email about the mounts
I don’t run with the lights on all the time so not much on my mind
Cant post a Video here I’d show you how bright they are

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I think the third wire on the OE harness is canbus related
Don’t want to deal with that crap. Just ran a loop right to the battery. Mounted a sweet billet switch mount on the bars and made a nice harness. Don’t even notice it’s there and it’s in a perfect location for the thumb

hope to fire up today
E73FE515-7787-4C4F-9323-65A158417D79.jpeg
01E28464-2DA0-47BC-8E54-C19DA646C0FB.jpeg

·
Registered
2015 Multistrada 1200S, 2015 Panigale 1299S, 2017 Tuono Factory
133 Posts
Are there any other aftermarket options for the DVT that work with the factory switch or can be made to work?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It’s a three wire plug
I Think it has to do with the can bus system
Did not want do deal with it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts