Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a "non-running but clean project" Ducati 2005 999 mono last week for no other reason than it was a good deal and I thought I could use it for spare parts for my 2006 999.

The previous owner used it as a daily rider in the summer and one spring he came out to start it and it wouldn't fire. He messed with it a bit and ultimately gave up and bought a new bike, letting this sit for a few more years before winding up in my possession.

Symptoms:
1. The bike turns over well when the starter button is pressed (new battery reading 13.8v, new ground and positive starter cable kit too, very good wiring here)
1. Fuel pump primes fine upon the key turning on. I even put a new pump, tank lines and fuel filter in that came in a box. It's all good.
2. Fuel is spraying out of the front injector fine (not so good out of the rear one from what I can see through the air inlets though)
3. Spark looks very weak on my tester (but I even took my coils from my '06 and swapped them in, same deal, no spark).

Today I swapped my ECU, dash and keyed ignition from my running bike to eliminate an ecu issue, no dice. Same issue! WTF!?!

I know that the pump is on the same relay/fused circuit as the ignition so it not that.

I'm going to swap the plugs tomorrow (need to grind down a plug socket since mine are too wide to fit around the plug in the hole) and maybe swap the injectors. Any other ideas??

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more piece of info. No CEL codes.... which is really odd an pointing me to plugs/injectors.

Also, the parts swapped off of this project bike back onto my '06 worked fine, it runs great.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is the process of testing the TPS?

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,193 Posts
They reckon e-harmony will help you find your spark >:)

Reactions: forsythem

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm not sure about the TPS on your bike, but on the 1199 it consists of two potentiometers. When My horizontal TPS died I was able to check resistance measurements with the throttle body butterfly valve fully open and with the valve fully closed... there was no change in resistance. I verified it against the vertical TPS which showed a change in resistance as the throttle body valve changed position. MelcoDiag reported trouble codes: 0120-TPS/SWA circuit malfunction and 0122-TPS/SWA low input. On the 1199 there's enough slack in the wiring to the throttle bodies that you can swap the wiring from one to another and see if the trouble codes follow/change to help you confirm a suspected component failure. My bike would always start, but while cruising along in any gear and at any speed, it refused to run smoothly, but symptoms will vary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts