Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a new owner of a 748 2002 and was wondering what octane gas does everyone use? For the first couple of tanks, I have been using 93 but I have heard you can use 89 on our bikes.

Thanks

Christian

·
Registered
681 Posts
someone correct me, but i believe the manual suggests that you use 89,but ive been using 91 (im in cali) but with gas prices the way they are now, im going to be dropping down to 89

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I've been using 89 for ever with no side effects at all.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I can't feel any difference with 91 vs 93 in either of my bikes. 89 seems a little low based on the compression ratio of the engine but as long as it isn't knocking it should be fine. So... what are you going to do with that 40 odd cents you save by using 89? :rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
For power, you normally want to use as low an octane as i possible in the engine (normal fuel). UNLESS you have really hot temps, then the higher octane fuel will prevent pinging and also lower burntemps somewhat.

I run mine at 93, but that´s because i have a higher compression then a stock 748.

·
Registered
263 Posts
its more like saving close to 40 center per gallon. that adds up.
pffft... do the math, it's not going to be significant on a motorcycle... even if you commute on it considering how much it costs to maintain a desmo twin.

Where on earth is 91 octane 40 cents _per_ gallon more than 89? It's usually more like 10 cents.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I use the low octane stuff - never had any problems with pinging and it runs perfect. Unless it's oxygenated race fuel that a bike is specifically set up for, you're not gaining anything using higher octane 'pump' fuel...

And it isn't a matter of cost either...

T

·
0 Posts
in nj its like 35 cents more...so yea lol thats where and we have the cheapest gas! and they pump for us! go figure

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
thisnjducquacks said:
in nj its like 35 cents more...so yea lol thats where and we have the cheapest gas! and they pump for us! go figure
Now that would be a funny sight if you have someone pumping gas into your bike while you are seated on it.

·
Registered
709 Posts
thisnjducquacks said:
"what exit?" lol...jersey joke

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
can I get in??? Not a super bike but maybe you guys can shed something on this.. In Australia our choices are 91.. std ; 95 Premium basic ; 98 Premium premium.. ; Optimax. ( a shell 98 more dense) but that you only gain if you have an 02 sensor which my SS doesn't have.

NOW... When I use 95 I get about 226km before low fuel light.
use 98 I get about 205 km B L F L..

on 91 I get about 240 - 250 B L F L..

There is no variation between hills, twisty or normal.
oh year.. PER LITRE.. 91 + 6 cents = Premium... 91 = 10 cents = 98...

Mal

·
Registered
882 Posts
I use 89 octane, and even with the higher compression engine there's no pinging and it runs great. Your 91, 95, and 98 octane is probably the equivalent of our 87, 89, and 91 - just a different way of measuring.

I've used 110 octane leaded Cam2 fuel and the mpg goes to hell. I don't feel more power but it does seem to idle stronger and more evenly.

On a recent trip I measured 46mpg with a 25% mix of 110 octane and 75% 87 octane. Then I just kept filling up with 87 octane, and each tank the mpg got better, going up to 50, then 52, and finally 55mpg tank after tank for a week.

I'd suggest you use the lowest octane that doesn't ping. Some people will mention detonation but unless you're at full throttle on a race track, or climbing mountain roads under very heavy throttle - it's not an issue (in my opinion).

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you are running a stock engine, you should be running 87 octane. I have been running that on my bike with no problems. It was recommended by Bruce Meyers from BCM. The bike made 100 hp at the rear on 87.

·
Registered
406 Posts
ST4R said:
and each tank the mpg got better, going up to 50, then 52, and finally 55mpg tank after tank for a week.
Last time I checked w/ 87 I was getting 57mpg. At first I thought I was crazy, other listers totally ignored my posts and everyone was reporting 45mpg or so. Glad to know my math skills are still semi-functional.

I'll be running 87 in the future!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
882 Posts
Many people run their engines way too rich. For some reason people think more gas means more power. I see exhaust outlets all the time which are pitch black, sooty black. Mine are white, white like chalk dust. The bike runs great, no pinging, no knocking, and super fuel mileage. The plugs look fine. No signs of overheating. Coolant runs in the 170's with good throttle response.

BCM did a lot of mapping on my ST4 and it's set up lean and makes very good power with great gas mileage.

·
Registered
407 Posts
mals900ss said:
can I get in??? Not a super bike but maybe you guys can shed something on this.. In Australia our choices are 91.. std ; 95 Premium basic ; 98 Premium premium.. ; Optimax. ( a shell 98 more dense) but that you only gain if you have an 02 sensor which my SS doesn't have.

NOW... When I use 95 I get about 226km before low fuel light.
use 98 I get about 205 km B L F L..

on 91 I get about 240 - 250 B L F L..

There is no variation between hills, twisty or normal.
oh year.. PER LITRE.. 91 + 6 cents = Premium... 91 = 10 cents = 98...

Mal
The US uses a completely different method for determining octane ratings than you Aussie's...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts