Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, is it ok to use Lucas Moto Octane booster? I tried a bottle and it does seem to make the bike slightly faster. I was just wondering if it was ok before I order a bunch at bulk rate.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Hey guys, is it ok to use Lucas Moto Octane booster? I tried a bottle and it does seem to make the bike slightly faster. I was just wondering if it was ok before I order a bunch at bulk rate.

Thanks!
Why? Are you having a problem with knocking?

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
lol... my thoughts exactly

"Lucas Octane Booster - A Real Octane Booster! Tested and proven to deliver three times more boost than most other brands. Lucas Octane Booster is a GENUINE Performance Enhancer! It's safe for turbos, oxygen sensors and catalytic converters. Stops knocks, and raises MPG in high compression engines."

I think the misconception is thinking "boost" is = to a turbo, instead of simply additive (like ethanol) that allows you to run a higher compression (the part that makes more power) without detonating the motor to death. Literally changing your underwear has a greater chance of making your bike faster that that product, likewise for many "race fuels" . If the compression ratio is stock you have less than 10:1 and you could use some compression to need 87 octane.

If it is helping you might be better of trying some fuel system cleaners.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

"Lucas Octane Booster - A Real Octane Booster! Tested and proven to deliver three times more boost than most other brands. Lucas Octane Booster is a GENUINE Performance Enhancer! It's safe for turbos, oxygen sensors and catalytic converters. Stops knocks, and raises MPG in high compression engines."

I think the misconception is thinking "boost" is = to a turbo, instead of simply additive (like ethanol) that allows you to run a higher compression (the part that makes more power) without detonating the motor to death. Literally changing your underwear has a greater chance of making your bike faster that that product, likewise for many "race fuels" . If the compression ratio is stock you have less than 10:1 and you could use some compression to need 87 octane.

Ok, that's great info. Thanks for saving me the hassle and cash. Im not having any issues with the way its running, or any knocking. It was probably in my head that it made it faster!

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
There's nothing like having a bunch of unburned fuel to make a bike faster...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ok, that's great info. Thanks for saving me the hassle and cash. Im not having any issues with the way its running, or any knocking. It was probably in my head that it made it faster!
You typically use an octane booster to achiever a higher octane out of lower grade gas. IE: in my area of California 91 is all I can get, my Multi will run fine on 91, but it suggests 93 octane in the owners manual. If I wanted to run 93 octane I would get a tank of 91 and use an octane booster to raise my octane by 2. That's not necessary, but it is an option. To much octane and you get pinging to little and you get knocking (I may have the backwards, I always get if confused). If you go waaaay off your required octane rating you can get pre and post detonations which is a good way to grenade your motor.

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
it suggests 93 octane in the owners manual.
I think you will find your manual lists the fuel as RON which is NOT what is on our pumps in the USA, given that California is only partially in. the stock 1000/1100 runs on 87 all day long and will often make more power as lobng as the hi test has not carboned the motor too much first.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think you will find your manual lists the fuel as RON which is NOT what is on our pumps in the USA, given that California is only partially in. the stock 1000/1100 runs on 87 all day long and will often make more power as lobng as the hi test has not carboned the motor too much first.
Yeah, I've got a 2015 1200. The RON is a good point, like I said I don't use any boosters. I have found in CA that Stabil is a godsend though. I have had fuel go bad in 2 weeks to the point I had to drain the tank and clean the carb. Ethanol is rough stuff.

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
I prefer SeaFoam because it does seem to keep the carbs clean which in turn makes your bike run better. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but some day. ( Humphrey Bogart)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

What is in this stuff? Is it ethanol? Does it actually raise the octane level? Im just curious...I wont use it and thanks again!

·
Premium Member
4,008 Posts
It appears it is mostly stuff that does not burn as you would expect from something that's job it is to prevent detonation.

This is why fuel that is free from additives often makes more power than fuel that is doctored with additives as the power potential is less when you have less combustible material in the first place. If it was 100% combustible you would in theory have less un-burned by product which you would think would be a cleaner fuel.

Now if you NEED a higher octane due to high compression or poor head design then you have no choice. Each design will have its limits based on a desired reasonable power (oem) and then the desired/modified reasonable limit of the owner and then the often unreasonable / heavily modified limits that live on the edge of destruction where racers live.

Attachments

·
Registered
703 Posts
booster...

To learn more about octane, go to sunocoracefuels.com, go to tech corner, read "beyond octane".

They should know.....

Fred

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It appears it is mostly stuff that does not burn as you would expect from something that's job it is to prevent detonation.

This is why fuel that is free from additives often makes more power than fuel that is doctored with additives as the power potential is less when you have less combustible material in the first place. If it was 100% combustible you would in theory have less un-burned by product which you would think would be a cleaner fuel.

Now if you NEED a higher octane due to high compression or poor head design then you have no choice. Each design will have its limits based on a desired reasonable power (oem) and then the desired/modified reasonable limit of the owner and then the often unreasonable / heavily modified limits that live on the edge of destruction where racers live.
Thanks ducvet! I am gaining a better understanding now. My friend who uses it has a limited race edition 2007 R1 (rare). He has had some work done to it and is running HP over 200 (according to him?).

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Does adding this crap make the specific gravity higher? Does it make fuel burn slower? I tried one bottle, then I had my issues. Im just wondering it this combined with my completely clogged fuel filter didn't help to contribute to my highway breakdowns by making the fuel burn slower, and by making my floats sit higher?

Am I reading too much?

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
The main thing it does is make your wallet lighter. I guess that’s a little performance increase.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ive read up but Im still wondering...does this stuff actually increase the octane or just act like it does?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Ive read up but Im still wondering...does this stuff actually increase the octane or just act like it does?
Honest question - how can it act like it does without actually doing it? If it lessens the tendacy to knock, it has increased the octane rating of the gas.

EDIT: I just read your earlier comment. Octane rating is not controlled by flame front speed. FWIW, slowing down the flame will make knock worse, not better.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Honest question - how can it act like it does without actually doing it? If it lessens the tendacy to knock, it has increased the octane rating of the gas.
Thanks DesmoDog, that makes sense.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts