Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My route was from the Washington, DC area to Wellsboro, PA. A direct run is 220 miles but my back roads route with a couple of wrong turns was 350 miles one way on May 25th. Return on the 26th was 310 miles. Note I'm 60 years old and in decent shape but by no means an iron man. By changing positions frequently I suffered little in the arms, wrists and shoulders. Thinking back I used 4 different techniques: 1) situp straight, hang left arm, extend right arm straight to the throttle 2) hang left cheek off for a minute or two then right; repeat as necessary 3) straighten back entirely but lean forward removing all weight from shoulders on down 4) jam throttle between index and middle finger or between middle and ring finger in order to sit straight for awhile.

The only real problem was fighting off the dreaded "monkey butt" condition (see #2 for most effective technique). I have that problem to some degree on every bike I've had so maybe an Airhawk is in my future.

My Duc performed well with no mechanical issues of any kind. I did a chain lube and adjustment at the destination but nothing more. Stock suspension proved comfy and adequately compliant while maintaining rock sold stability in the high speed mountain corners. The best mod to this bike by far has been a simple fork oil change (stock weight) that dramatically improved damping characteristics. Next best mod was gearing down one tooth on the front sprocket. I'm experimenting with RoadSmart II tires in an effort to get beyond 3K miles on a set. They are a relatively stiff tire designed for heavier bikes but seem OK to me and so far are wearing well. My $35 carbon fiber pipes are just about perfect sonically - not too loud and very light compared to stock.

Attachments

·
Registered
377 Posts
My route was from the Washington, DC area to Wellsboro, PA. A direct run is 220 miles but my back roads route with a couple of wrong turns was 350 miles one way on May 25th. Return on the 26th was 310 miles. Note I'm 60 years old and in decent shape but by no means an iron man. By changing positions frequently I suffered little in the arms, wrists and shoulders. Thinking back I used 4 different techniques: 1) situp straight, hang left arm, extend right arm straight to the throttle 2) hang left cheek off for a minute or two then right; repeat as necessary 3) straighten back entirely but lean forward removing all weight from shoulders on down 4) jam throttle between index and middle finger or between middle and ring finger in order to sit straight for awhile.

The only real problem was fighting off the dreaded "monkey butt" condition (see #2 for most effective technique). I have that problem to some degree on every bike I've had so maybe an Airhawk is in my future.

My Duc performed well with no mechanical issues of any kind. I did a chain lube and adjustment at the destination but nothing more. Stock suspension proved comfy and adequately compliant while maintaining rock sold stability in the high speed mountain corners. The best mod to this bike by far has been a simple fork oil change (stock weight) that dramatically improved damping characteristics. Next best mod was gearing down one tooth on the front sprocket. I'm experimenting with RoadSmart II tires in an effort to get beyond 3K miles on a set. They are a relatively stiff tire designed for heavier bikes but seem OK to me and so far are wearing well. My $35 carbon fiber pipes are just about perfect sonically - not too loud and very light compared to stock.
Hi, having experienced similar pains to yourself when I owned a 2002 SS I made a couple of mods which helped a lot.
First was a Corbin seat and second was a set of Tomaselli adjustable bars (clip ons).

I now have a ST and although the seat is more comfortable than the SS I decided to change the seat but this time instead of buying Corbin I stripped the cover off the standard and thinned and dished the foam (making a concave shape). This is how my Corbin was shaped, to spread the load rather than sit on the points of the pelvis. Has worked a treat.
The Tomasellis were brilliant and if you can find them I would go for it, they are fully adjustable (make sure you get the right size).

all the best

·
Premium Member
3,757 Posts
Should have come up this weekend... STPR Rally in Wellsboro (I'm heading down later today). Fun event to spectate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts