Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried posting this topic in the Hall of Wisdom, and there's some weird rule. Not very wise and I don't get it:(. Oh well...

My chain has some 5k miles and has notice-able amounts of o-ring material coming off. I've cleaned and lubed it about 10x thus far (about every 500 mi).

Is this normal, or is it unusual. Please make me, and all others who read this post, a little wiser:rolleyes:.

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have the same issue on my Hyper. most of the o-rings have blown out the chain. I first noticed at about 4000km and after a track day they were stuck everywhere from being flung out.

Stealer-ship didn't give a flying f*(k so I spoke to private place and they said no point in changing what is still a good chain just keep it clean and lubed up. when its buggered put a better one on.

thought I was alone but seems not.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
what brand chain are do you guys have?
what brand cleaner and lube do you use? the cleaner could possibly too abrasive for the rubber o-rings.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Have you used a new chain cleaner or chain lube?

Whatever you are using for chain lube or cleaner, may have solvents in it. Check the contents label. Some solvents, like acetone, MEK, toluene ..... will cause certain rubber compounds, like Buna-N, to expand and become soft.

I'm not sure if a citric acid base cleaner (orange, lemon or lime derivative) will react with the o-rings.

·
Premium Member
12,416 Posts
I think the Hall of Wisdom you are supposed to have the answer to your problem ? Interesting replys so far, I would have just said buy a new chain . lets see what others say.

·
Mr Leakered
8,938 Posts
Whew, coffee and, more importantly, BEER is fine for o-rings. Cool!

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what brand chain are do you guys have?
what brand cleaner and lube do you use? the cleaner could possibly too abrasive for the rubber o-rings.
Have you used a new chain cleaner or chain lube?

Whatever you are using for chain lube or cleaner, may have solvents in it. Check the contents label. Some solvents, like acetone, MEK, toluene ..... will cause certain rubber compounds, like Buna-N, to expand and become soft.

I'm not sure if a citric acid base cleaner (orange, lemon or lime derivative) will react with the o-rings.
I have a DID chain on.

The cleaner I'm using is Motoline 611 chain clean, and the lube is also Motoline xxx (something) strong chain lube for road use.

I don't think I'm using incompatible cleaners or lubes. Seems like this is somewhat unusual:(.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts