Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just yesterday I got my '00 748/853 back for The DucShop. Lorin and Mark blueprinted it and installed an 853 kit. Oh, wow, is it impressive! The difference between 4 and 5k is astounding, assuming I can get it to stay that low long enough to feel it pull. From 4k to 9k or so it's a new motorcycle! (Duh.) If I can get it attached, I'll post a before and after set of curves. The quick answer is 107 RWHP!

In addition to the 853 kit, Mark lightened the flywheel. I'm not sure how much, but he said he could remove about 2 pounds, I think. We used an FIM chip and it has not been custom mapped for my engine. The engine is perfect. I don't know what caused it to "feel" the way I like it, like it I do.

Attachments

·
Registered
284 Posts
Congratz, what chip are you using? also how much did you end up spending on the kit/install...if you don't mind? Thanks.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The chip is a UM097DL. The basic blue print is $1425 + parts and the 853 parts kit was $1060. However, I had to have some parts, so the total was higher. Call the DucShop to confirm. I understand they may be setting up other suppliers for some parts to cut costs. You'll understand if I don't fess up. If it gets back home, I'll be back in the lawyer's office, again! :)

I'm probably going to gear it faster to keep the front wheel down, but not for a while. It's too much fun right now. The front tire is not really on the ground at WOT in 3rd.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
853 Kit

If the 853 kit is that impressive on a standard 748 (and it is), just think what it could do if you started with an "R" model, like mine, that already makes about 107/8 RWHP! Its on my short list of things to do.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rz33v4,

Yea, I'm thinkin'. :) This could be an obsession! I don't think my bottom end will take the revs yours will, but SPS cams are looking pretty good. Next fall (bonus time) I guess it will be between wheels and cams. They told me this morning they had to run it on the dyno in 5th to keep the tire from spinning.

The reason I posted is mine seemed to be the happy collection of parts that exceeds itself. At 8 and 10k the increase is 20 HP. Mark and Lorin think it might be the 50mm Termi full exhaust. Maybe it is just the right size for an 853. They did blueprint the engine and trans at the same time. I know they are game to build another one to see if it will happen again. I'm willing to let mine be a part time lab rat.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
With an 853 do you have to do more frequent engine rebuilds? I'm not talking about valve check/adjusts. I'm talking about compression checks, rings etc. Doesn't the 853 kit raise compression?

Or is the 853 basically like making a 748 a 916 with the 748 tranny and therefore no difference in terms of engine reliability.

I'm thinking if I ever did something like that I'd start with an R model. Man that would kick arse.

·
Registered
372 Posts
changing compression is more up to the builder not the kit and any good kit will not change the reciprocating mass since the pistons are the same weight. the only reason you would have to alter maintenance would be if you altered the way you rode it (which is entirely possible ;) ).

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
grendels_arm,

An 853 is a 748 with 916 pistons and cylinders. Since the bottom end is the same as a 996, except for the stroke, you should have no change in reliability. Because the bore is larger, but the combustion chamber is the same, the compression ratio will be higher unless the builder compensates. My compression ratio is higher. I was told to run high octane.

The 853 is half a step toward a 996, so it breathes better and with the short stroke should have lower stress at equal RPM.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
"An 853 is a 748 with 916 pistons and cylinders."

Not quite, but the same size bore. Just wanted to point that out, in case someone buys some 916 pistons and expects to be able to fit them to the 748. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,351 Posts
Anyone intrested about a 853R should check out Sigma Performance in the UK.. They put one together and that was AWESOME!

As going to SPS cams or lighter wheels, I´d go for lighter wheels every time.. It gives alot back, like better acceleration, better braking and VERY easy to flick the bike.

EDIT: Sigma performance 853R
http://www.sigmaperformance.com/748r-853r.html
In standard form the 748R and the 748RS produce similar power up to 8500 rpm; the 853 murders them both up to 8000 rpm and is only caught by the 748RS at 11500rpm. In terms of overall superiority the 853R outpowers the 748R by 5 bhp down at 5000 rpm and between 10 and 15 bhp all through the rest of the rev-range until the peak.
Keep in mind that these figures are RWHP.

Compared to the "ULTRA-RACE" 748RS

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.