Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, what would you do to the bike before you left ? Also, what would be your must things to bring ? Thinking of doing this in the next week. I can handle the wind, I don't need to pack much. The thing that scares me the most is the stock seat, after a straight 4 hour ride a couple weeks ago my ass was killing me. I don;t have the budget for a new seat right now, is that anything I can lay over the stock seat ???
Any comments or suggesting is greatly appreciated.
F-

PS I read all the past threads on touring the hyper, just wanted to see if there are any other fresh and new idea's out there.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I know a guy with a KLR who swears by those seat covers with the big wooden beads.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
In addition to a seat cover I'd definitely get some gel padded bike shorts. I got some from aerostich, and a pair from LD comfort and they both go a long way towards keeping me as comfortable as possible on stock seats. I also wouldn't leave without my Etymotic er6i noise isolating ear buds and my iPod or at least some good ear plugs.

Move around on the seat a bunch, stand up and stretch when it is safe, and take lots of short breaks. Good luck....I'd love to take a long adventure trip on my Hyper someday.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
F-

You can borrow my DP Race seat for the trip.

Let me know.

CT

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments and advice, ear plugs check, good bike shorts will purchase ( where is a good place to get the gel shorts ), and also the monkey butt. Any special tools ?? I figure the bike is not two years old so any horrible mechanical problem the warranty should take care of that. I was thinking, plugs with CO2 for flats, fuses, assorted tools, and duct tape. I will map out the ducati dealers to see the distance bet each one down the east coast. I am just thinking off my head, but I'm sure there's more thing's to bring. I want to be prepared but not wanting to break the bank in doing so.

I am going to my brothers house as he just had a baby, so I will either ship a 10-20 dollar box of clothes down there and possibly just travel with a tank bag and tail bag.

I know this could be pushing it, it's over 1,000 miles, so I wouldn't mind doing the iron butt thing down there and taking my time back up. Because on the way back I could swing over and do the tail of the dragon.

Also, if anyone thinks I am biting off more than I can chew, please share that opinion as well, as this is my first real long road trip. I've been to Boston from NYC which is nothing compared to what I am doing now.

C-
Thank you for the offer on the seat !! Does anyone think it would be more comfortable than the stock seat on long distances ??
Also, if I use the seat and decide to do the iron butt thing, would you help a verify my starting point ??

Thanks for everything so far,
Ferrell

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Also, if anyone thinks I am biting off more than I can chew, please share that opinion as well, as this is my first real long road trip. I've been to Boston from NYC which is nothing compared to what I am doing now.
In '88, I rode my new FZR400 from Massapequa, LI to St. Louis, MO via Carbondale, IL. 2 days to get there and a week later, 2 days to get back.
If that little buzzer could do it, the Hyper can!

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you dont have the larger fuel tank I'd bring a small fuel bottle. If you have done your exhaust I would put the silencers in for the trip. Enjoy the ride, it's not bad. You can always ride the coast as well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
1. Rain gear..
2. Drinking water..
3. Inflate your tires for better highway mileage...
4. Patch and spoons or a plug if tire goes flat..

Plenty more needed but haven't done a road trip in a while..

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I think you will be fine...I would also recommend good riding gear esp pants. The 2 thing that wear on me the worse is riding in jeans and riding with out ear protection. Also pace your self. Going fast cover more ground but it also tires you out faster.
As far as the race seat.. Its more comfortable than the stock seat, but is alot harder. I did about a 150mile trip this past weekend in the race seat and was fine.
How many day are you going to take to cover the 1000 miles down?
also please take a camera and document the trip for us!!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
The bike can do fine. I don't think the wind is bad under 75 and I've done 300 - 400 mile days. If your on a budget, get a gel pad for the seat, and a pair of bike shorts as discussed. i assume you have good gear so just get a cheap rain suit, you will need it. GPS to find gas, if your on main roads there should be no need for fuel bottles. Cargo net and a waterproof river type bag will work fine for some cloths and essentials.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I did 2 cross country on a VMAX (4600 miles for trip 1 and 7500 miles for trip 2) and the hardest part was the sun. I was going east to west and it does not matter what, the sun was the killer. Bring some lotion and after sun lotion or similar. As far as your ass is concerned regular stop to gas up will help. Be careful in the GA and SC portion... a lot of deers on the side.
My VMAX had a 120 miles range...thnks god for my ass. Good to stop every two hours!! Rain gear and enough clothes for 2 days. All the rest can be mailed. Bring a chain to attach your bike if you sleep at motels on the road.
You will find gas everywhere and need a lot of redbull. That's a boring road.
On my Vmax I did on my way back to the East Coast Denver to St Louis. The next day I did St Louis to DC then to NY straight: 15 hours from ST Louis to DC and another 5 hours to Long Island NY... straight no stop. That was after a 3 weeks trip on the road in the Dakota, CO. UT, AZ and NM. The first 300 miles are killing then you will have two great moments during the day: when you jump on your bike on the morning and you jump off your bike on the evening/
Ear plug and sun lotion are your friends.
\If you stay on I 95 try to ride as much as you can during day time and you will be done in 2 days. Sun up to sun down. Not bad to ride with other guys as long as they go the same pace you are going. Unless you are a good mechanic, tools are useless. Just bring yoru Ducati tool bag under the fairing. A cell phone + charger is the way to go and map the Ducati dealer along the road. Good luck and be safe.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Watch your speed in MD, DC, VA area!:eek:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
ohh yes.. just thought of one more thing that might make life on the road alittle easier! get a cramp buster or some type of cruise control. Works wonders for doing long distance rides.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How much would i benefit from the windscreen on the hyper ?? I don't have one but could either make something or maybe find one cheap.

I will document everything, and I might take charlie's offer on the race set. I spoke with a couple of taxi drivers here and they also love the beaded chairs. I know its different it's a car but these guy are in their cab 10-12 hours driving all day, they must know something about comfort.

So, this is going to happen now just the planning and getting alittle extra gear. I am hoping to leave sometime nxt week.

F-

·
Registered
143 Posts
Get the 90$ windscreen, from what I hear, you will need it. Also i'd buy one of the wrist rest throttle rockers http://www.throttlerocker.com/ or your hands will definitively kill you. I think you may want to look into adjusting your suspension settings to a softer more plush setup since you will be going more long distance, this will help your whole body. Whatever you ride at for aggressive riding, I'd definitely soften it up by 15 to 20%. Also Clean your bike before you leave and grease the hell out of your chain. Go find yourself the best chain lube you can find! A camel back will also do you wonders to keep you hydrated. Anything you can do to reduce vibration you should do, this is a long trip, it will get to you. Good Luck!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Having driven from just north of NYC to Disney a couple of times, I can only say that, even in the leather-wrapped, climate controlled comfort of an Acura MDX, it was a tough trip! 1st time we did it in 2 days (11 hours each day - 1 stop in Myrtle Beach) and the 2nd time we went non-stop (21 hrs!)! When we got there, it was like I was jet-lagged... I couldn't fully function for the 1st day.

That said, I envy you! I'd love to go on an adventure like that! But I think on a bike I'd do it in 3 days... :rolleyes:

Oh, one other note, the AVERAGE speed through NC/SC/Georgia on I-95 is about 95! People CRUISE that highway once south of Del-Mar-Va...

Have fun! Ride safe! Watch out for those crazy TRUCKERS! :eek:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Ferrell,

Give some info on your plans...

... when leaving
... plans to stop on the way down?
... when returning
... plans to stop on way back up?

Interested.

CT