Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got to admit that my first down wasn't what I thought it would be. Taxi simply didn't look with no one in front of him cuts the wheel and pulls over jamming his brakes forcing me to do the same. No signal of course. He was to the point of being staggered but to the side of me when he cuts over. I had no where to go because of a parked moving van on the side. I got it stopped barely before hitting him but the rough pavement and the bike being unsteady from being so hard on the brakes it dumped at the last minute. Thankfully on the side without the newly installed Zards. All that really broke from what I can tell so far is the shifter and the left clip on looks like it's now closer to the tank than it was before. Rode it home in 1st and 2nd gear since the shifter is basically gone. The police didn't want to even take a report because there was no contact. Regardless of that you can't go around not signaling and cutting into other peoples lanes jamming on the brakes. Or maybe you can.

I thought unbaffled Zard's would be loud enough to help me avoid things like people not checking their blind spots.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I thought unbaffled Zard's would be loud enough to help me avoid things like people not checking their blind spots.
Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to prevent others from demonstrating the most crazy and unexpected behavior. The best you can do is expect such behavior and try to plan accordingly.

ps. Glad to hear you are ok and that your bike damage sounds minimal.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I drive my white suburban in the city every night and I know it's invisible to taxis. They don't care if your there or not. God help you if they're searching for fares.

·
Registered
565 Posts
I saw you today. On 14th and 9th at around 1:30. Nice bike. You gotta do a tail chop. Zard's sounded great.

Sorry about your mishap.

Come ride with us. Check the NJ/NY/PA thread.

TS

·
Registered
181 Posts
I remember reading something that really impacted my thoughts about motorcycling.
It was something similar to, "A motorcyclist starts his motorcycling career with two bags. One bag is labeled "LUCK", the other bag is labeled "EXPERIANCE". The "LUCK" bag is given to you full. The "EXPERIANCE" bag is given to you empty. It is in the best interest of the motorcyclist to fill the "EXPERIANCE" bag before his "LUCK" bag is emptied.

The taxi driver robbed your luck bag. Due to what is in your experience bag you were able to stop before hitting him.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I saw you today. On 14th and 9th at around 1:30. Nice bike. You gotta do a tail chop. Zard's sounded great.

Sorry about your mishap.

Come ride with us. Check the NJ/NY/PA thread.

TS
Yeah that was me. Managed to limp it home shifting on what was left of the lever. Tail chop is in on the list. Will def try and make it out once I pick up some replacement parts on Tuesday.

·
Registered
126 Posts
NYC...a world all to its own. When you see cabs, expect the worst...they will dash and dart first and worry about hitting people later. Keep an eye out for their fare lights (even though this isn't 100%) and watch out for people standing in curbs looking for hail a cab. So much to scan in NYC.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Good luck on getting back on the road again.

Pardon the cliche but when riding (especially in NYC), expect the worse out of drivers...especially foreigners.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I totally empathize! I had to lay my baby down yesterday, all because some lady decided to pull slam on the brakes to pull into a local gas station. I posted some pics in the thread. At least you got to ride your bike back home.

·
Registered
517 Posts
mpsalm: sorry to hear about your "first down ever".
The important thing is that you're OK, and you were able to ride it home.
NYC cab drivers are the worst!! They drive by their own rules. On top of that, add terrible roads, and pedestrians crossing in the middle of the streets... all that makes riding in the city fun but challenging.
Sending you a PM shortly.

~k

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the replies. She'll be back on the road tomorrow if everything checks out which it should. I'm more angry about what could have happened and that are no consequences for reckless drivers until something terrible happens. I still see 60% of people texting or talking on their cel phones while driving. People have become too disconnected from the road and the fact that they are driving around in 2 ton entertainment centers to realize that they can actually hurt others.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If its yellow it aint mellow.Yup. Cabs will NEVER see you.... And they love to bust across 4 lanes to pick up a fare... Thats just how it goes. Remind yourself to keep to the center lanes as much as possible, ride faster than everyone around you, and keep your bike in gear at the red lights with one eye on the rear view and an easy out plan.... Done preachin!

Be safe, yall's

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wish it was to pick up a fare. This one was quite unexpected, jammed the brakes and pulled over for apparently no reason with a green light ahead of him and a moving truck he double parked next to with no fare in sight. Wouldn't even fess up to the reason he did do it. A mystery for sure.

I did tell him that the people I met in his country were a lot more friendly then he was and that he wasn't much of a man for trying to cover up whatever he was doing. Asked him if he was even going to apologize and his reply it was an accident and there is no reason to say sorry since it's implied.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wish it was to pick up a fare. This one was quite unexpected, jammed the brakes and pulled over for apparently no reason with a green light ahead of him and a moving truck he double parked next to with no fare in sight. Wouldn't even fess up to the reason he did do it. A mystery for sure.

I did tell him that the people I met in his country were a lot more friendly then he was and that he wasn't much of a man for trying to cover up whatever he was doing. Asked him if he was even going to apologize and his reply it was an accident and there is no reason to say sorry since it's implied.
Sounds like you won.... You will wake up tomorrow and get your bike fixed, he will wake up still being a dick.

·
Premium Member
989 Posts
I wish that were true. Glad you are OK. Seems to be a rough patch going around here.

Get some rest.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I've had some pretty close calls with taxi's through the years, so I feel you and glad you're ok.

Other then being pushed down by a few regular cars, my worst crash was a food delivery guy on a bicycle. Dude completely ignored traffic, cut right in front of me, I slammed the breaks and went flying (landed about 10-15 feet from my old monster 750).

NYC is a fuckin warzone on a bike, plain and simple. People just dont give a shit. Experience and luck, just like Kmoss said.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I had a really similar thing happen while riding my BMW a couple years ago. A dude who had switched out of my lane randomly switched back and slammed on the brakes (nothing to stop for) right in front of me. I braked enough that I only tapped his bumper and then dropped the bike, but all that was going through my head was "oh great, now I rear ended this guy so somehow this is my fault." Luckily the bike was fine and the guy was nice... ironically (for this forum) he owned an Italian restaurant :D

1 - 20 of 33 Posts