Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking to head towards the other side of the Hudson, I’ve never been as in for pleasure riding.

My reason for focusing on New York is that I’ve heard many speak about the areas. But a specific area I don’t know for sure.
So you guys that know the areas, I’d appreciate your feedback.

I launch from the Boston area and would head out on the Mass Pike.

Back in May, I attended a graduation at Bard, and stayed in Germantown. When I exited the Pike, in Lee maybe. Waze took me on some pretty amazing roads that I enjoyed in a car. This was my first experience with Waze vs my built in GPS. So that area had me wanting to get beyond the Hudson.

So again, I’m sending up a signal for like minded folks that love the open road for advance for a target area beyond the Mass/ NY border.

I hear a lot of talk about the lakes region but have no clue as an area to consider.
I would also appreciate the advice on a target area to stop for a night and perhaps on to another area too target the next day to stop for the night.

I’m not an Iron butt rider, but 5/6 hours of saddle time is what I m thinking about, with the obvious stops along the way.
My goal is to ride, look, relax. How many days?, not, not littimed.(Too much)

1 Day out
1 Day around
1 Day back

At least that’s my first thought, more road time, not sure.

In closing, I’ve rode ALOT in upper New England, VT, NH, ME, Nova Scoita & PEI, a litte in CT. So upstate NY and or the lakes region would be a great area I think.

Thanks to all that are of you that know this area and are willing to share.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,253 Posts
I live right across the river from Bard. I'd be happy to show you around the Catskills, if you like. Next weekend is out, though.
@mlukason has been trying to get out here, too. Coordinate?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Yorik for your offer.

I plan would be to leave Boston on the 24th for a few days during the week.
Perhaps that may give me more options for availability of accounting.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
The fall would be a great time to tour the Adirondacks. I grew up near Lake Placid and it is simply beautiful that time of year (mid-late September). That might be a little far north for you though with your timeframe.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
I live between Keuka and Canandaguia lakes. Depending on your riding style I'd say there are "Fair to Excellent" roads in the finger lakes. For cruiser and touring bikes I'd say the lake roads are excellent rides. If you're a sport rider then pickings can be a bit thin in the finger lakes.

Two weeks ago a buddy and I went on a "mountain range hunt" over the weekend. We hit (in order) The Catskills, The Berks, The Greens, The Whites, and finally the Adk's.

This is very unscientific since we didn't research to find 'THE BEST' rides in each area... but the 'destination' was the Kancamagus highway in the Whites which is rated one of the 'great rides' by some magazine. We were riding ADV bikes (buddy borrowed my Tiger, I had the Multi) but our riding style settled decidedly on the sporty end of the spectrum (to the point that I'm really surprised we avoided tickets). Our consensus was that the Catskills had the best riding, followed by the Adirondacks, the Green's then the Whites trailing the pack due to heavy traffic and speed limits... and the Berkshires we didn't really spend enough time in to judge. If I was judging based on cruiser metrics (scenery) then it would be Whites, Adk's, Greens then Catskills and Berks.

All that's a longwinded way of saying - the Catskills had surprisingly excellent riding... so if you're about the riding then I'd suggest spending more time there and then maybe make a loop out to the Finger Lakes for the scenery/European feel of my area (the Catskills are close to NYC... the feel ends up being very NYC which you may think of as good or bad depending on your perspective). If it's about the scenery then you will be happy with both areas.

·
Registered
944 Posts
If you are around Geneva NY (Seneca Lake) around the 27th, we have a Ducati Rally going on from 5-10pm (Friday evening).

·
comrade moderator
27,183 Posts
Head North, Young Man!
I would suggest crossing into the state at Crown Point and heading North to Port Henry, then East thru Lake Placid and across the top of the 'Daks. Head for Cape Vincent and the Wolfe Island Ferry to Kingston, Ontario. From there you can go around Lake Ontario through Toronto around the Eastern end of the lake and back into NY via Niagara Falls. Then skirt the southern end of the Great Lakes area into the Catskills.
Epic!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Adirondacks

Did the Adirondacks and up to Lake Placid 2 yrs ago, great ride(3 day trip from just west of Boston ). Rode west on Rte 2, which is great riding at it's western end(Mohawk Trail), through the Berkshires. It doesn't get intersting til somewhere around Orange. From that point just gets better and better towards MA/NY Border.
Tom

·
Registered
120 Posts
Be advised that the wait time to get through customs in Niagara Falls across the Lewiston Bridge took me 2 hrs, so maybe plan to cross either early of late in the day. The Rainbow Bridge may be better, but there's the penalty of having to go through downtown on each side. Hopefully, that's improved.
Oddly enough, you have to merge to get to customs and I encountered jerk who wouldn't let me merge on my turn. Turned out to be a Masshole! No escaping them, even on vacation.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
Head North, Young Man!
I would suggest crossing into the state at Crown Point and heading North to Port Henry, then East thru Lake Placid and across the top of the 'Daks. Head for Cape Vincent and the Wolfe Island Ferry to Kingston, Ontario. From there you can go around Lake Ontario through Toronto around the Eastern end of the lake and back into NY via Niagara Falls. Then skirt the southern end of the Great Lakes area into the Catskills.
Epic!
Oh hell no... Toronto is a traffic nightmare that I'd not wish on my worst enemy - and if you're at the wrong time crossing back into the US you can expect to sit for a couple hours trying to get back in.

Anyone thinking about vising Canada via NY... I'd recommend crossing in the North country (Ogdensberg, Massena, Plattsburgh), riding around in Quebec and along the St. Lawrence Seaway (very picturesque)... then coming back into the US up there. Unless you're a masochist - DO NOT go to Toronto.

If you want to loop north I'd recommend the cable ferry (somewhere along the river) or one of the Champlain ferry's. The shorter one is at Charlotte VT and drops you at the beginning of a very fun bit of road heading south toward Long Lake then Old Forge (Lakeshore Road to Mountain Springs road to Ensign Pond road to 84, etc...). That would make sense if you don't want to ride all the way to Placid (which has great visuals but meh riding due to traffic).

Reactions: dr. jones

·
comrade moderator
27,183 Posts
Lake Placid area traffic is fine during the weekdays. That pretty much goes for anywhere in the 'Daks. The Eastern side is more interesting than the Western side.

The Best border crossing is Kingston/Cape Vincent via Wolfe Island.

·
10,253 Posts
Our consensus was that the Catskills had the best riding...

All that's a longwinded way of saying - the Catskills had surprisingly excellent riding...
:grin2:

Maybe we need NECM South? Nah. I'm no good at organizing things.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You guys are great!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences.
As tempting as the area is to crossover, I will do that for another trip.

I liked to sound of the Catskill area and have never been there. Perhaps that area combined the lakes if I can find a way to thread the best known routes/roads. Suggestions please if anyone one has any.

As for the Whites & Greens, I know them very well.
The “Kanc” is nice but short in my opinion. Perhaps due to my familiarity of it. For a little technical riding, take Bear Notch Road off of the “Kanc” on the east end of the “Kanc”. In sport mode, it will certainly keep you on your game.

Also another well known technical bit of road is Hurricane Mountain Road in North Conway, not a show stopper, just a little more than your average slab.

Heck, while you’re there, take 113 north out of East Conway to Rt 2. This is a good road. Towards the top, it’s very covered along side a river and gorges. If traveling from the south to the north, you will on the throttle for 90% do to elevation.

I could go on about the area, it’s good if you’re new to it.

So again any roads/routes in the Catskill/Lake area is welcomed. Therefore I can target any places to stay for the nights.
Again thanks guys.

·
10,253 Posts
Do you ride with a gps? I have a bunch of files. Tell me how long (time) you'd like to ride around for and I can put together a fine selection of roads. It would also be helpful if you had a beginning and end location in mind. If not, you'll have to figure out how to jump into the route on your own.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
You guys are great!
Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences.
As tempting as the area is to crossover, I will do that for another trip.

I liked to sound of the Catskill area and have never been there. Perhaps that area combined the lakes if I can find a way to thread the best known routes/roads. Suggestions please if anyone one has any.

As for the Whites & Greens, I know them very well.
The “Kanc” is nice but short in my opinion. Perhaps due to my familiarity of it. For a little technical riding, take Bear Notch Road off of the “Kanc” on the east end of the “Kanc”. In sport mode, it will certainly keep you on your game.

Also another well known technical bit of road is Hurricane Mountain Road in North Conway, not a show stopper, just a little more than your average slab.

Heck, while you’re there, take 113 north out of East Conway to Rt 2. This is a good road. Towards the top, it’s very covered along side a river and gorges. If traveling from the south to the north, you will on the throttle for 90% do to elevation.

I could go on about the area, it’s good if you’re new to it.

So again any roads/routes in the Catskill/Lake area is welcomed. Therefore I can target any places to stay for the nights.
Again thanks guys.
West of Lincoln we found Sayer road (looked good on gps) and it was clear of traffic and a lot of fun - but short.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the memory Dave K,
I did a West to East on 118, WRJ > Linclon some years ago during peak autumn season. Then continued to the “Kanc”, then Bear Notch Road. Stopped in Bartlett for the night. It’s a great thread to do if anyone is looking for a good run in that neck of the woods.
I remember that we lucked out that trip, it had 0% issues will the leaf peepers.

My only regrets (sometimes) is not stopping to take in some of the areas or spots along the why. You just get so into the moment of riding. And if you’re with others, who’s gonna stop.

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
Thanks for the memory Dave K,
I did a West to East on 118, WRJ > Linclon some years ago during peak autumn season. Then continued to the “Kanc”, then Bear Notch Road. Stopped in Bartlett for the night. It’s a great thread to do if anyone is looking for a good run in that neck of the woods.
I remember that we lucked out that trip, it had 0% issues will the leaf peepers.

My only regrets (sometimes) is not stopping to take in some of the areas or spots along the why. You just get so into the moment of riding. And if you’re with others, who’s gonna stop.
The views from some of the stops are great... we would stop and loiter to let the H-D's and cagers get ahead some then we'd be able to ride for a bit before catching up. It sort of works but takes a lot of the fun out of the ride.

If you would like to loop over to the finger lakes I can make some suggestions if you let us know how you're interested in riding on the trip: Do you want 'destinations' to stop at and get the flavor of the area, or is it about finding fun fast roads... or roads that maybe aren't as fast/fun but have great views... or something else...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks Dave, that’s nice of you to offer.

I’m gonna go through the Catskills and the Adirondacks area. In what order, that has yet to be determined.
My launch from Boston can be somewhat mind numbing Mass Pike to Rt 87. So I may break it up by diving south off the Pike around Westfield, Ma. Make my way through CT and aim for a crossing in Kingston, NY.
Depending on the time of day. I may hold up for the night somewhere there, or just inside the CFP.

All of the above is 4/5 hours worth of riding. And I’d rather have a fresh day in each area that I’m going through.

The type of riding I like, that is depending on the mind at the time. Or if I’m taunted by a spirited rider along the way.
That becomes like a game of golf. When you play at someone’s course, they’ll beat the pants off you most of the time.
But that’s ok, a good lead rider can lay down the best lines for you to follow, and that makes the run an excellent run with someone in the know.

I saw some examples of Rt 97 that is south of CFP, it looked pretty good.

I have had a piece of road also south of CFP when I was staying at the Mohonk Mountain House. I drove my car to Ellenville one evening for dinner, went along Rt 44 and back. That was a nice bit of roadway as I recall.

·
10,253 Posts
Um... No one calls it the CFP. No one. Most people wouldn't even know what you're talking about. :|

1 - 20 of 24 Posts