Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Neutral Position Sensor?

14" Hypermotard SP, 821

This only happens once in a while but happened 2 different times this weekend.

1. Riding around town, waiting at a stop light I put it into neutral, but no green neutral light. I let out the clutch slowly to make sure it really is in neutral and sure enough its, but no green "N" light. (Other times it comes on, then flickers, then off, but still in neutral). In both situations my Heal Tech gear indicator is in sink with the "N" light showing "0" but when light turns off the indicator changes to - (meaning unable to register a gear).

2. Sunday, cold, I started it up (in neutral, light on), and let it idle a bit. Less then a minute in, the light went off, then the bike stalled. I assume it stalled because the kick stand was down.

My wife has a Triumph. They are notorious for having issues with their gear position sensor. Does the Hyper have a neutral position sensor or an adjustment some where? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Mine used to it on the odd occasion, rarely but it has happened. It was pre & post fitting the Healtech gear indicator as well so its not that.
I find when it happens I just brush the gear lever & the light comes on. I dont see it as an issue- more so one of those 'learn to live with it' kind of things.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Mine used to it on the odd occasion, rarely but it has happened. It was pre & post fitting the Healtech gear indicator as well so its not that.
I find when it happens I just brush the gear lever & the light comes on. I dont see it as an issue- more so one of those 'learn to live with it' kind of things.
Came here to say this.

My '15 SP occasionally exhibits the same issues. Though I find it happening less and less as the mileage goes up and the engine continues to break in.

Reactions: Dr freedom

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been dealing with it and for the most part, I agree, it's no big deal. But when it cut out on cold start with k/s down, I figured now was a good time to bring up the issue on the forum. In the mornings I usually let it warm up when I'm putting on my riding gear. If it keeps cutting out, then it will become an issue.

I took a look through the shop manual last night. It does not go into detail or show good pics of the neutral sensor, but I think it's the grey plug on the rear of the motor case with one wire coming out of it. It's about an inch and a half away from the exhaust pipe. I wonder if the heat is starting to damage the sensor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This just happened to me for the first time today. Bike started up and idled for a minute then died. Neutral light wouldn't come back on and it wouldn't restart. Put it in gear and put the kick stand up and it started. After a couple times shifting in and out of first gear the neutral light came back on and everything seemed fine. Just about 6000 miles on it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Remove the wire from the neutral sensor at the back of the motor. Clean, tighten up the connector and apply a little bit of dielectric grease. Hypers seem to be extremely sensitive to battery voltage and I would always start by checking battery quality as well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I haven't had this problem yet, but when I was in 5th I think, I didn't push hard enough with my foot and it went into some inbetween the gears neutral. I pushed it a little harder a second time and it went into 6th ok. Hasn't happened since.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Remove the wire from the neutral sensor at the back of the motor. Clean, tighten up the connector and apply a little bit of dielectric grease. Hypers seem to be extremely sensitive to battery voltage and I would always start by checking battery quality as well.

Are you saying the wire unplugs from the back of the sensor?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yes. Remove the grey cover and you will see the blade connector can be removed from the sensor. Mine had too much play.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes. Remove the grey cover and you will see the blade connector can be removed from the sensor. Mine had too much play.
Thanks for the advice. I soon as I removed the grey cover the connector just feel off the sensor. It was way too loose. I squeezed connector for a lighter fit and added a little dielectric grease, they reconnected. So far so good, no false neutrals. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts