Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 999 -- I've read somewhere that the later 999s had a vented/altered/modified cam belt cover(S)...? I've always liked the idea of keeping the belts as cool as possible, while still keeping them covered enough to prevent water/children/stones from getting in there. Is this the case? If so, likely later aftermarket covers would be cheaper than buying new covers for say a 2005, although fleabay might have a set for a decent price. Can someone confirm this?

james

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
yes theres vented covers on some newer models,plus carbon fiber replacements.you need to have all 3 pieces as the vented are deeper than non vented too.i've also seen some covers that were diy vented that were very nice looking,although then you could have grit etc enter much easier

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
I have an 03' 999 too and I installed the 05' "vented" belt covers. With that I also installed the carbon fiber front cowling which provides a screened opening for the cam belt inlet duct. They are actually pretty well made..the air ducts thru the front, channeled to the rear and vented. They are however very heavy! I would buy a CF kit. One of our sponsors-Shift-Tech has a very high quality set for a reasonable price.:D

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
I think you also have to consider the "V" fairing on the front of the bike. Seems to me that the '03/'04 fairing does not have the slots cut in it that allow air to flow into the vent on the cam belt cover.

L

Edit - woops -- I see that ZDM touched on that. carry on......

·
Registered
227 Posts
You can do the Shift Tech carbon "R" vented versions and make a vent hole in the oil cooler fairing. I did. You can also have the stock covers vented by Desmotimes. They'd run cooler but then you wouldn't have the carbon look coolness. Desmotimes would be less expensive.

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Not sure if Ducati still makes these, but they were like $80 last time I remember. They are the vented covers but just in black plastic. Ask the dealership if they can get them, or go to Ducati Omaha and ask them. Part number: 96743103B
Look up the part on this page: http://www.motospecialties.com/partorderlookup.asp?store=DucatiOmaha

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would think it would be better to keep the belts clean than to keep them cool. But then I am not one of those guys who pulls off all of the plastic and valve covers when I wash. Dont forget to get behind the headlight!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts