Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to buy a pair of gloves to replace my Held Profi's. Since Held began construction of their gloves in Pakistan (?) I've had seam failures with one pair and really bad fit with another. So, what to buy? My inclination is to go with the pricier names such as Alpinestars, Dainese, Teknics, Spidi, etc. Here's the problem: I've been to every motorcycle dealer and gear shop in norhteast CT and no one sells anything but ICON shorties, SHIFT, and the like. The local Cycle Gear is awash with the Frank Thomas house brand and three pairs of Dainese. But, that's about it. If you've ever tried to buy gloves on-line you know that a medium in one brand can be an XL in another. All I want is a damned pair of gloves that fit, protect and last a couple seasons. Very frustrating.

bruce19

·
Registered
401 Posts
You could take a ride up to Vanson in New Bedford, Ma. but make sure have plenty of cash or "plastic".
http://www.vansonleathers.com/
Brockton Cycle in Brockton, Ma. also carries a fairly sizeable inventory you can check out their website. (Olympia-Shift-MotoGP-Icon-Firstgear-APS)
http://www.brocktoncycle.com/

·
Registered
403 Posts
If you are used to Held's sport touring gloves, may I suggest Helimot's Buffalo glove:

http://www.helimot.com/catalog/gloves/helimot/buffalo/gloves_buffalo_data.shtml

While not cheap, they are of supreme quality. I don't recall exactly what I was told about Helimot's relation to Held, but there was something about once Held moved production to Pakistan, Helimot took over. Don't quote me on that, but there was something about Helimot being the importer for Held until they felt the quality was slacking and started making their own, or some of the same people involved in production, or something like that.

Here's another review: http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/gear/buffalo365.htm

I'm on this forum as a Ducati enthusiast, not as a vendor, so I try not to put in shameless plugs for the shop where I work too often. But if you are ever passing through the DFW area, MotoLiberty stocks a pretty good selection of Helimot gloves for sizing. Or, if you don't mind risking a little shipping cost, you can order online and if you need to return for a different size, we don't charge restocking. Just to show what serious gloves these are, last week a guy bought a pair of Helimots who conducts week long vacation moto-tours of South America and Africa. They are definitely one of the best touring/sport touring gloves we've found. Or if you would like more high quality sport/race and less tour glove, we stock a number of high-end gloves by RevIt, RS Taichi, and Alpinestars.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
I like Spidi, I've got a pair of sport, summer, and summer-rain gloves from them (all in L). I also have a pair of Suomy sport gloves in XL, which I use for touring and daily use as since they aren't as tight a fit (being one size larger) they are easier to take on/off quickly, and I have a pair of Alpinestar cold-rain gloves in L.

Anyway, the moral is all of these are basically the same fit for the same size designation.

Tom

·
Registered
29 Posts
+1 for the Helimot gloves. Helimot used to be a Held distributor, but when the Held production moved to Pakistan, Helmut (the owner of Helimot) did not like the quality of the product so he began making his own. Read the story at Helimot.com (btw- I have no affiliation) Anyhoo, the gloves, while they do take a while to break in, are fantastic, as are his other products. Highly recommend.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Astars

I have a pair of Astars GP Pro which I find very comfortable. I purchased size Large and they were a little tight until they stretched. The sizes run small, of course because they're Italian, so if you wear Large in regular gloves (non motorcycle gloves) I would definately recommend going up in size.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I've bought about 7 pairs of gloves, online, and haven't had any issues with them, as an XL for all of them have been just that....a size XL, but.....I've only bought AGV and Tecknics gloves. I've have really good luck with closeout models from www.accwhse.com and these old model Technic Violator and Violator Pro gloves. The Violators crashed really well. My wife and I have matching Violator Pros. Now, on the other hand, I've really been wanting a pair of the Alpinestars GP Pro gloves, but I can't bring myself to spend $200+ on gloves......at least not yet.

Note: A quick search shows that the GP Pro gloves have dropped significantly in price from when I was first looking at them two years ago....$135-$160 seems kinda normal, with some people still asking $200+, though.

·
Registered
118 Posts
bruce19 said:
I've been trying to buy a pair of gloves to replace my Held Profi's. Since Held began construction of their gloves in Pakistan (?) I've had seam failures with one pair and really bad fit with another. So, what to buy? My inclination is to go with the pricier names such as Alpinestars, Dainese, Teknics, Spidi, etc. Here's the problem: I've been to every motorcycle dealer and gear shop in norhteast CT and no one sells anything but ICON shorties, SHIFT, and the like. The local Cycle Gear is awash with the Frank Thomas house brand and three pairs of Dainese. But, that's about it. If you've ever tried to buy gloves on-line you know that a medium in one brand can be an XL in another. All I want is a damned pair of gloves that fit, protect and last a couple seasons. Very frustrating.

bruce19
I bought my Held Steves at the local BMW dealer ... very comfortable and wearing like iron .. :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
I posted this a short while ago. I still like the gloves.
I bought a pair of Vanson gloves (style 7R11) yesterday for about $75. They have armored knuckles, vented fingers, reinforced thumb tab, armored wrist guard, doubled layered palm and adjustable wrist and cuff straps. I used them for about 200 miles so far and they fit well, are comfortable, and I feel they are very protective. The gloves do not have rivets in the palm, but I don't care for them anyway. The extra padding on the palm feels better on the hands than other gloves. I have a pair of Held gloves with the rivetted palm, etc, but the Vanson gloves feel much better. I bought the Vanson gloves at Morton's BMW in Fredricksburg, Va. It looks like they are out of stock at Vanson.

See website below.
http://www.vansonleathers.com/main_...collection2.htm

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have used the Held Galaxy glove for years - great stuff!

In terms of the Held's being made in Pakistan - I heard that while it is true of the lower & mid-range Held gloves, the top-of-the-line ones are still made in Germany..

Does anyone have info to support or refute that?

·
comrade moderator
26,761 Posts
I have about 15 months on a pair of Pakistan made Held Steves and they are perfect. I don't see where quality has changed one bit.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
hank said:
I have used the Held Galaxy glove for years - great stuff!

In terms of the Held's being made in Pakistan - I heard that while it is true of the lower & mid-range Held gloves, the top-of-the-line ones are still made in Germany..

Does anyone have info to support or refute that?
My $169 Profi's were not made in Germany. Pakistan, I think.

bruce19

·
Registered
160 Posts
gloves

i ve had my kushitani gpr gloves for three plus years theyre great high tech energy apsorbtion material and excellent construction, and fit,kevlar stiches,
the best gloves ive ever used (techinics,bates spidi)

check them out

·
Registered
113 Posts
bruce19 said:
The local Cycle Gear is awash with the Frank Thomas house brand
bruce19
I've got a pair of Frank Thomas Kangaroo that are the most comfortable gloves I've ever worn...

·
Registered
129 Posts
You can also try taking a ride up to MotoMarketplace in Acton, MA. It's northwest of Boston by about 20 minutes. Their gear is upper-end stuff (Held and Rev'It, IIRC). The shop is a combination of motorcycle gear and a little cafe. Owner is a rider/racer, too.

The Honda dealer out in Hartford has Dainese stuff (or at least the did when I was last there 3 years ago). BCM up in Laconia, NH, also has Held and Dainese/Ducati gear, though the selection can be spotty if you're interested in trying stuff on before you order/buy.

·
Senior Moment
1,474 Posts
I can confidently say that I have more pairs of Held gloves than anyone - 3 pair of Kevlar gloves alone. I started wearing them in 1989. I bought a couple of pair (at greatly reduced price) when Helimot quit carrying Held. I've seen Held gloves at other shops....with seams becoming unraveled even without them being worn.

Held moved production of gloves (and tankbags) out of Germany to China and Pakistan. You can't inspect in quality. My Helds are now laying unused in the closet.

I now have a pair of Helimot Buffalos, a pair of the H20 racing gloves, and a pair of the Kevlar gloves. The Buffalo are all deerskin that feels thick to start with and then disappear when they're broken in- they become buttery soft...and remain tough. The H20's and the Kevlars have incredible feel from the kangaroo palms. The Kevlar is an improvement over the Held Kevlar - far more protection and is still the coolest glove in hot weather. The H20 is cowhide on the back, provide outstanding protection.

Aside from the manufacturing site, Helimot tried to get Held to change the way they stitch the fingers - exposed threads. The problem with exposed threads is that there is a greater chance that the thread will get ground through, in a crash, and the seam will fail. I've seen it happen several times.

The stitching on the Helimot gloves is on the inside, away fromt he palm - up near the top surface of the fingers. Away from the regular abrasion areas.

Damn comfortable, damn protective gloves. And....the fingers can be shortened after you've worn them for a while - if you have stubby little fingers.

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
A great percentage of riding leathers come out of Pakistan. The reason is simple: The traditional vat dying process is a major source of polution. It is thus increasingly difficult to do it in any country that has strict enviormental controls.

I recently heard that Vanson Leathers, which I had always understood to make their products in Massachusetts, gets their basic garments made in Pakistan and then adds touches and/or customization here.

To me how well something is made is more important than where it is made. Pakistani leather products can be excellent.

-don

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Lee Parks deerskin gloves look pretty good. I checked them out at the SF bike show this year. I've not worn them but they were quite comfortable when I tried them on. My personal preference is Kobe Pro Race gloves. Similar in appearance to Helds, but made of cow hide. Here's a link:
http://www.1888fastlap.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=16679&cat=266&page=1
and pictures:

I prefer the Kobe gloves because of the foam armor under the carbon covers the whole back of the hand and the palm all the way to the end of the little finger. Also the rivets continue all the way to end of the little finger and all the stitching is done in Kevlar thread. I've only crashed in one pair and they did a great job of protecting my hands.....sean

·
Registered
218 Posts
DUCeditor said:
A great percentage of riding leathers come out of Pakistan. The reason is simple: The traditional vat dying process is a major source of polution. It is thus increasingly difficult to do it in any country that has strict enviormental controls.

I recently heard that Vanson Leathers, which I had always understood to make their products in Massachusetts, gets their basic garments made in Pakistan and then adds touches and/or customization here.

To me how well something is made is more important than where it is made. Pakistani leather products can be excellent.

-don
I'd heard that about Vanson as well. I asked about it last time I was up there. Some, but not all, of their line is being made elsewhere. The stuff made elsewhere will be inspected by them in-house. I believe the custom suits will still be made in MA. If the label inside says made in USA, it is. Otherwise, a different label will be inside.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts