Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to sure that this is the best place for this question, but for anyone that is familiar, what is a few of the best entry level lightweight (up to 500cc) motorcycles for roadracing? I am planning to start racing but i need to know what kind of bike to try and get with my budget. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
277 Posts
This isn't such a bad place to ask your question, hardluck. The 750SS and 800SS are considered lightweight bikes in most orgs. I know that the 750SS runs the same classes as the 500cc or less bikes listed below.

Are you looking to race vintage bikes? If so, you have many, many choices, but I don't know much about them. Check out the AHRMA site for more info.

If you are interested in a two-stroke machine, you might consider one of the various 125cc GP bikes or an Aprilia RS250. There's also the Yamaha TZR250.

As far as non-vintage four-stroke lightweight classes, many racers are running supermotard bikes because they have up-to-date technology and small displacement motors.

For low-cost, the Yamaha FZR400 is still a popular entry-level bike. The chassis is great and the in-line four motor screams. You can usually find a race prepped bike in good shape with some spares between $2500-$3,000. Some of the motor parts are becoming a bit scarce.

The Kawasaki EX500 is an old war horse. I raced one my novice year and had a blast. A bike with a good suspension will run you around $1500.

Good luck with your hunt. Be sure to check out the racing organization web sites, which will also include their rule books. You will want to base some part of your decision on the class structure of the organization you'll be racing with. I race with WERA (wera.com), but there are other orgs with a much bigger presence out your way.

Kurt

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This isn't such a bad place to ask your question, hardluck. The 750SS and 800SS are considered lightweight bikes in most orgs. I know that the 750SS runs the same classes as the 500cc or less bikes listed below.

Are you looking to race vintage bikes? If so, you have many, many choices, but I don't know much about them. Check out the AHRMA site for more info.

If you are interested in a two-stroke machine, you might consider one of the various 125cc GP bikes or an Aprilia RS250. There's also the Yamaha TZR250.

As far as non-vintage four-stroke lightweight classes, many racers are running supermotard bikes because they have up-to-date technology and small displacement motors.

For low-cost, the Yamaha FZR400 is still a popular entry-level bike. The chassis is great and the in-line four motor screams. You can usually find a race prepped bike in good shape with some spares between $2500-$3,000. Some of the motor parts are becoming a bit scarce.

The Kawasaki EX500 is an old war horse. I raced one my novice year and had a blast. A bike with a good suspension will run you around $1500.

Good luck with your hunt. Be sure to check out the racing organization web sites, which will also include their rule books. You will want to base some part of your decision on the class structure of the organization you'll be racing with. I race with WERA (wera.com), but there are other orgs with a much bigger presence out your way.

Kurt

Thanks a lot. I will check out WERA. The one i was most interested in was Willow Springs Motocycle Club, because the track they use is only 1.5 hours away and it is where i have been practicing. It's nothing big, but i fugured it would be a good place to start and as far as i am aware, their novice rules are strictly on displacement, which means the 750, 800 will not be in the lightweight class. So i was thinking the fzr or kaw ex 500 or maybe an RD400.

·
Registered
187 Posts
WSMC racing

google WSMC BBS

then sign up for the forum and you will find all kinds of info. Kawi is going to have a spec race class at Willow, def something for you check out.
the sv650's really run good out there in both LW and MW twin, comparable to the 800ss but not sure they allow the 800ss in LW twins thou, check the rulebook before you plunge.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts