Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bled front brakes on my 1998 ST2. Thought this would solve what seems like too much play in brake lever. Seemed to help a bit, but I still have about an inch of play before the front brake firmly engages, and this leaves the lever about an inch off the grip. Front pads are far from new but still have a bit of life. Wondering if the play is related to this and I should change the pads, or adjust something else?

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Are the hoses original and are they normal or braided ?

·
Registered
686 Posts
Not sure about the ST2 but on some bikes there is a little spacer between the lever and the piston on the reservoir. Yours might have fallen out if the levers have been changed. If you are actively pumping the lever then thats a different thing and is either air, or the pistons in the calipers have gone sticky ( they can actually move, but sort of suck themselves back into the cylinders), if that's the case you need to give them a full overhaul with new seals etc.

Sent from my iPad using MO Free

·
Mr Leakered
8,862 Posts
Pad wear should not cause play in the lever. Try bleeding the master cylinder.

Have a good one.

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
Replace the brake lines if they are the stock rubber ones, go with SS braided.
Pull the calipers and pop out the pistons and give them a good cleaning. Change the fluid and bleed,bleed,bleed...
Replace the 15mm master with a 16mm if all else fails.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
222 Posts
Are you sure you bled all the air out of the system? Fluid up to correct level? Maybe an air pocket in the caliper? Check all the fittings for tightness, etc. Like he said, bleed, bleed, bleed.

·
7,733 Posts
Are you sure you bled all the air out of the system? Fluid up to correct level? Maybe an air pocket in the caliper? Check all the fittings for tightness, etc. Like he said, bleed, bleed, bleed.
That would be my guess too.

Pull the calipers, open brake reservoir and remove sufficient fluid so it won't overfill, push the pads/pistons all the way back into the calipers, check fluid level and refit calipers, and pump them back up to the disc. :)

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
My 1998 use to exhibit a similar problem. The lever would travel about 1/2 way to the grip, and then the brakes would engage, and perform well,. My "cure", I found thru trial and error, was to push the pads back a bit. Then pump up again, and problem was cured for the next few hundred or so miles. For some reason, moving the fluid back into the master seemed to help. I don't believe it was air, because the braking was never a mushy feel. Never did find a real cure for it!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all!
The suggestions to pull the calipers, push back the pistons, and then refit with pumping and bleeding seemed to work. Only minimal play now before engaging.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Just don't be surprised when it happens again.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Thanks all!
The suggestions to pull the calipers, push back the pistons, and then refit with pumping and bleeding seemed to work. Only minimal play now before engaging.
Sounds like air getting into the system somewhere over time , do you change your brake fluid regularly (2 years min). As others have suggested I would recommend a good clean and rebuild/re-bleed a this problem should not be occuring on a regular basis.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts