Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Nova Scotia: Ferry route or land route?

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Desmo_Duc 
#1 ·
Question for you guys up in the frozen north. I'm doing a tour this July. We are shipping the bikes to Portland and touring through New England with a loop up to Nova Scotia.

Should we take the 3 hr ferry ride from Bar Harbour to Yarmouth or take the land route (looks like 400 miles from Bar Harbour to Truro)?

Frankly, I'd rather ride then spend 3+ hrs on a boat.

Anybody with pros or cons of either option will be appreciated!

Thanks.

#3 ·
I have never riden it, but I've been planning a similar route (Wisconsin across Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, back through New England, NY, Penn...) for this year's trip. I looked into taking the ferry, but it's expensive, around $100 for you and the bike, and only leaves at very specific times so bascially your whole day is shot. There is a website you can go to for details of the ferry, although I forget what it is now. Try Googling it.

The route I chose to get from the New Brunswick/Maine border to Bar Harbor carries you right along the Maine coast line and looks beautiful. There are US and state highways that allow you to stay in contact with the coast the entire way. To me, that's much more fun and scenic than spending the day on a boat.

#4 ·
Badger, Actually the cost of the Ferry ride is closer to $159 one way during peak season in July. I've already checked out the web site. 400 miles is a day ride but like I figure the ferry ride will take 3/4 of a day. I've done the ferry ride to Vancover BC and it got boring after the 1st 10 minutes.

I'm looking for someone who has taken the ride up the coast over land to get to Nova Scotia for some feedback.

#5 ·
If you have the time, you can ride up Rte. 1 along the coast of Maine to Calais.
The scenery is nice, but be forewarned, it will be slow going due to all the tourist
traffic. Once you cross the border it will be mostly slab, unless you can find a
meandering Rte. to the Canso Causeway and the entrance to Cape Breton.
Once there, the roads are motorcycle heaven pretty much everywhere on the
island. I have never taken the ferry or ridden in Nova Scotia other than Cape
Breton. HTH and enjoy your trip. it will be memorable.

#6 ·
There might be other harbors to depart from, like Bar Harbor or the Rockport/Camden area. It would be a shorter cruise but may not be as frequent. You might check the Chamber of Commerce for these areas. The coastline is pretty spectaular around the mid-Maine area, but can get heavy tourist traffic on the weekends. Have a blast, sounds like a fun trip.

#8 ·
go both ways

Take the ferry (known affectionately as the vomit comet) one way and ride up and around Cape Breton Highlands. Go back out past the bay of Fundy. I have done this twice and it's great!

#9 ·
If your intention is to ride up to Cape Breton/Cabot trail in Nova Scotia, ride all the way and don't take the ferry...I'm going up there this summer with some buddies, and we researched it every which way but loose, and riding up and taking the boat will take about the same amount of time, IF you are going up to Cape Breton...If you are planning on staying around Yarmouth NS, take the CAT...It's about 650 miles from Portland to Sidney, NS, it's a 420 mile ride from Yarmouth NS to Sidney NS...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.