Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody, my first post here...tho I've been over at Ducati.net for quite some time now. Wanted to get the community's opinions on my current issue over here as well...sooo

I removed the charcoal canister off my 848 last night since I was bored, fired the bike up afterwards (not that I was concerned about any running issues as removal of this item shouldn't affect how the bike runs anyway). It idled well, so no concerns

Took it out for a blast today since it's a beautiful 75/80 degree day here in the Springfield, MA area. Felt quite alive...powered the front end up in 1st...no issues

Started riding it a bit harder once I got out of my neighborhood...downshifted hard at a light and popped the clutch around 8,000rpm as I was slowing down...rpms came down to around 5,000 as I was braking then.....you guessed it....silence....the infamous stalling issue returns

Bike fired right back up and didn't stall again for the rest of my ride. I actually had thought i was one of the lucky ones since ever since I swapped out my ecu for a reflashed one with a DP map, Zard pipes, and BMC filter I never again had a stalling issue except for once every couple months when warming up, which didn't bother me. This was the first tim since those mods where the bike stalled on me while on the street

My question is...what changed? Or do you all think I could very well have a cam-timing issue as well? If so it's somewhat minor, and maybe I'll have to look into it when I check the valves in another 4,000 miles. Thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Make sure that the lines to the intakes that ran from the canister have been plugged. If you're sucking air through them you'll run lean and that could be the problem.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I pulled the lines off completely and plugged the throttle bodies themselves with 6mm 1.00X12 allen cap screws (this is how the Ducs over in Europe come from the factory, as only the US spec requires the canister). I used the copper washers as well so leaks shouldn't be the issue but thanks

·
Registered
369 Posts
The removal of the charcoal canister will not affect idle. I've done it on every Duc I've owned with absolutely no _ NONE_ adverse reactions. How long are the bolts you used?

·
Premium Member
8,737 Posts
I don't know if this is related, but my 999R stalled on me twice since I bought it 5 or 6 months ago. No incidents for the past couple months and how I remember them is the fact it occurred at the same location, slowing for a stopsign after a ride. I also removed my canister and plugged the tubes soon after I bought the bike. At this time I'm not concerned with it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bolts are rather short...maybe 3/4 of an inch long..maybe only 1/2 an inch...definitely not too long in any way. I'm telling you right now this is not related to me removing the canister, as the bike has had minor stalling issues BEFORE it's removal as well. Main reason I removed it is I was told in some cases it has helped with the stalling, but not in my case. Didn't make it worse, just didn't make it better either.

Further research is showing me that even the DP ecu map is not perfect, and many have needed tweaking right out of the box to make a certain # of bikes run correctly. A very knowledgeble guy on the ducati.net forum is doing some tweaking on his right now with a new exhaust he just put on. He advised that often the fuel trim needs to be adjusted, so he is going to work with his and give me a baseline as to where to start. For any of you that don't have the vdsts software yet I highly suggest buying it...it allows you to do all these things yourself. After this particular member gives me the info I need and I apply it to my own bike I will report back. May help some others here with other model bikes as well besides the 848, such as John, if you want to get your 999R dialed in perfectly. Thanks :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts