Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have about 400 miles on my sport classic, not sure if I will keep it or go for a monster 1100s or a streetfighter or maybe the new multi. Our roads are pretty bad where I live and the suspension has a real hard time eating it up, my buddy has a muliti s and it eats the bumps like nothing but I like the feel of the classic better. Any Ideas on some upgrades that wont break the bank? I know some people put on different front shocks, and rear? What options are out there that are reasonable? Also stock tires obviously have to go, cant believe ducati is shipping a bike with those awful tires. Currently the only mods are alloy wheels and xenon light kit some crg levers and a fat duc manipulator.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
The ONLY reason to choose any Sport Classic over the Monster 1100 (especially the "S") is because you just love the Classic so much you can't imagine any other bike. The Monster 1100 is a much better bike in any measurable sense.

If you don't absolutely love everything about your GT except the suspension, get rid of it and get the Monster. If you DO love everything else about the GT, then put an exhaust and chip, shocks, and adjustable forks on it (and, of course, some decent rubber). Having already done the wheels, you'll have done everything Ducati should have done and you'll have a great bike. It'll also cost you another $1500 - $4000, mostly depending on what you choose for your forks.

It still won't be a Monster 1100, but it will be much more beautiful. :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
i agree with Major except,

- i've heard the traxxion front fork 'kit' (or other comparable kit) is very good, and a much cheaper option than ohlins:eek: or any other new entire front fork

- try the wasp top mount steering damper - certainly evens out the bumps very well and is great quality

- replace tyres with pilot power 2cts.

if you love your Sport, the above mods will help significantly and are likely to enhance your enjoyment on rough roads

·
Registered
775 Posts
In my experience the GT1000 has some advantages over the Monster in a couple of areas: Comfort & pillion passenger carrying. My wife just didn't find the Monster comfortable when riding pillion but she loves accompanying me on the GT1000. I find the more upright riding position GT much more comfortable on roads where speed is restricted (both by regulation & common sense) to less than 60mph.

I haven't yet changed the stock springs or shocks on my GT but I'm planning on switching to Wilbers fork springs to reduce the front end 'chatter' on bumpy roads. I have to get the Marchesini 5-spoke wheels fitted first & then recover from paying for them!

Just thought of another small advantage for the GT1000: With a fender extenda fitted to the front mudguard (fender?) the engine is better protected from road dirt/water/road salt than the current Monster range. The Monster has a much shorter mudguard & there isn't a Fender Extenda available. This may not matter if you live in a location with year round good weather & where the Highways Authorities don't cover the roads with salt for 3-4 months of the year.

Different strokes for different folks. Hope you find what you're looking for in a bike.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
upgrade the suspension for sure. You can find showas for around $500 and it's well worth it. Also, look up the WASP TMSD. I cannot even begin to express how much the classic needs it. (I have a sport, but the GT is in the same boat on that one...). And get pipes. it's hard to fully love a duc that doesn't sound like a duc.

But I guess the reason why you are hesitant still is because, as you said, you only have 400 miles on your GT.

Take a road trip, my man, get out there, put some miles on that thing... go cruise. you'll see that you will bond with your machine the way so many of us here have, and from that point on you will look at a Monster like a (very well equipped) fisher price bike with a bunch of plastic on it.

I actually rode a 696 for a few days, logged 300 miles in one day. While I was much less hunched over than on my sport and my shoulders and back were less soar that usual, I must tell you that my private parts were not happy at all. Just think that any hard breaking is associated with being double dover in pain from sliding into the tank, big time. And my ass was totally numb... aside from that I was actually impressed by the little [email protected] I can only imagine the M1100 must be quite potent.

but anyway. up to you...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
forks and suspension

thanks for the input, I only ride in the 60-100 range I am not a racer or anything and I enjoy 100-200 mi cruises, so if those suspension changes will work I would probably keep the bike. some of our roads are oil and stone, then there heavily salted in winter. Hope to get something figured out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts