Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, got tired of replacing the OEM-style Yuasa batteries in my '06 749, EVEN THOUGH I KEPT THEM ON A BATTERY TENDER, so I bit the bullet and bought a lithium-technology battery. (3 Yuasas since new and just 18,000 miles!) An Alien Motion unit, in fact. No, not one of the brands most people mention (Shorai, Ballistic, etc.), but about the most-affordable out there and "assembled in USA" (unlike the Yuasa, despite their magazine ads that suggest theirs are all made here). Was a little intimidated by how to hook it up, but that was accomplished by buying a 6-gauge battery cable at Auto Zone and a couple of copper terminals (as suggested by an A.M. CSR). Cut the cable in half, and bolted the OEM "U-style" connectors to the terminals and the other ends to the battery, crossed my fingers, and VOILA!, fired right up, even though both the battery and the bike had been sitting dormant for about a month. And more voltage showing on my voltmeter than ever with a Yuasa, too. My only suggestion, order the reverse polarity style so the cables can be cut much shorter. Yes, am quite pleased with the Alien Motion.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Yes, pics part #s and links please..

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Like most other things in life:

alienmotion.com. part # AM8-01. 8-cell unit for bikes up to 1,000 cc.
price: just $89 INCLUDING SHIPPING. And for those of you who care about country of origin as I do: "assembled in U.S.A."

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,654 Posts
Now I'm sure it's a mistake but they have the 8 cell listed as only 4.4A/H capacity and the 12 cell listed at 6.6A/H which doesn't stack up against the established competitors.
The cases on those units also look very similar to the 4 cell 7A/H ballistic battery I have on my Daytona.
Shorai have 12, 14 and 18A/H units listed on their site (I use a 14A/H one on the 748)
I would definitely check with the supplier on this point before purchasing one as it's a well known fact that you only get what you pay for in this world.

·
Registered
416 Posts

From their website. Looks really interesting. The size is 4.5" x 2.36" x 4"

·
Registered
416 Posts
I just sent in an application to become a dealer. Going to talk with them about these hopefully soon, I could use a couple of these...

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ha, you're local to me too! I'll post up on here when I get a reply. We'll see, but it would be real cool to find a Shorai alternative for half the money, that's a quality piece too.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Ok,
I am officially a dealer! Well, as soon as I place an initial order...

I need 10 to get set up. Their website lists them at $89 shipped currently, and believe me, there is hardly any mark-up from what I'd get them for. BUT, I'll check and see if I can have each order drop-shipped.
Best case is $80 a pop, worst case is $85.

Who's in besides me?

Porsche Barry - 2

·
Registered
416 Posts
Order update:
I only need to get one more guy before I can place the initial order, and then can do another order of 5+. I'll be posting my own take on these batteries after they come in if anyone is still wary.
I will also be helping with installation if any buyers want to come by as well and use my tools and have some beers.

Porsche Barry - 2
Bahula - 2 + 1 charger

·
Registered
759 Posts
Ummmm.....vendor status?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm technically not a vendor until they qualify me by my first order. Anything beyond that, I would be a vendor for them. Until the first order is fulfilled, it's a group buy (muddy waters). If vendor membership is affordable for the miniscule amount of goods I'd sell, I'd offer beyond this. Currently talking to a moderator anyway :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I'm technically not a vendor until they qualify me by my first order. Anything beyond that, I would be a vendor for them. Until the first order is fulfilled, it's a group buy (muddy waters). If vendor membership is affordable for the miniscule amount of goods I'd sell, I'd offer beyond this. Currently talking to a moderator anyway :)
Hi,

Will you do international shipping? To Singapore?
Any reply on the battery capacity at only 4.4ah?

·
Registered
416 Posts
I can get one out internationally. The 4.4ah seems to be plenty of power to turn a Ducati, from what the original poster on this thread has experienced, and the manufacturer says the AM8 model will run the bike just fine. PM me if you want one, I will be ordering a set soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts