Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
In the middle
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about tires, somewhat different i guess from your normal "good trackday" or good "road only" type questions.

I live in a country where:

1 - There is no road legal compliance checked...ever.
2 - It never rains.
3 - The police wouldnt know the difference between a slick and a grooved tire.
4 - There are large long sections of road where you wont see a single other road user.
5 - The roads are good, a little slippery around town due to oil build up.

No wanting to sound irresponsible, I do intend to ride more often on the track than not to , but also keeping the above in mind and the fact that i have a 1198SP, what would be the tire of choice you would fit for spirited road use?

I have just about wore out the stock Pirelli's that came on the bike and am contemplating slicks for road and track use, but really have no idea if a slick will pick up and hold road debris.

Appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The ONLY reason to go with a street tire heat cycling. Dont go with a race tire for the street. I have done it before and they wear out really quick because of the heat cycles.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Pirelli Superbike PRO slicks are what you need. They were like iron and don't heat cycle. They are sold as "trackday only" because they are slicks,but if you don't ride in the rain and no one checks,I don't see a reason why you couldn't run these on the street.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Pirelli Superbike PRO slicks are what you need. They were like iron and don't heat cycle. They are sold as "trackday only" because they are slicks,but if you don't ride in the rain and no one checks,I don't see a reason why you couldn't run these on the street.
I've ran a set of these on the street and they worked like a charm. I even rode them through a thunderstorm and on wet roads while going down one of the steepest and twistiest roads in the area. They worked fine, even in the wet. I just had to slow down a little bit. The guys I was riding with were shocked how well they did in the wet. I didn't get a whole lot of miles out of them. IIRC, I think I got around 1200 miles from them with my 748.

·
Banned
523 Posts
I wouldn't go with slicks. They're more expensive, they wear out much quicker, and you won't notice any difference with them on the streets. In order to get the full performance of slicks you need to have some mad skills at the track but roads are not like a track. Slicks only work well when they're hot, and you won't be able to put enough heat into them by just riding on the streets. There's a reason why people who use slicks, ALWAYS have tire warmers on them. Going fast in a straight line on a highway makes no difference what tires you have on. If it never rains and roads are pretty clean in Oman, then street tires are fine. Stock tires on these bikes perform a lot better than most people would think. If you really want more for peace of mind or whatever reason, maybe look into semi-race tires...i.e. track tires with a somewhat harder compound that are still grooved, example the BT-R10

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
I would go with green Michelin CT2's. I like the softness and the sticky yet compliant sidewall. They work VERY well in the dry and last about 3k, if you get caught in an occasional rain storm. Not that you will see rain in Oman.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Pirelli are always a good choice

·
In the middle
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guys Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated. Still a little undecided at this stage, I think i will finish off the Pirelli's and then go down the Michelin CT2's, I am guessing there will be a dimensional change in the tires so i will need a TC pod to manage the change in DTC performance....correct?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Lol i used to live in a country like that, i remember once using my YZ250 motocross on the road as daily transport, one night i was going around the harbor area with a mate on the back pulling wheelies in the dark with push bike lights taped to the mudguards and that was it, got stopped by the cop's they fined me for having a loud bike, total fine £1.75, ahhh those were the days..

Anyway back on subject

Currently i have Michelin CT2's on my 999, never had Mitchelin's before and i am very impressed with them.

Used to use Dunlop Roadsmarts on my Daytona, lasted for ever and again was very impressed with them..

Bridgestone R10's are the must have tire's for 2012

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
you won't be able to put enough heat into them by just riding on the streets.
Maybe you can't, but I know a lot of people that can. It's not uncommon to pull the rubber boogers off of the tires at a rest break out of boredom, including race slicks. You can build up a lot of heat in a set of tires around here, especially from May until September.

·
Banned
523 Posts
Maybe you can't, but I know a lot of people that can. It's not uncommon to pull the rubber boogers off of the tires at a rest break out of boredom, including race slicks. You can build up a lot of heat in a set of tires around here, especially from May until September.
No you don't. When I said "a lot of heat", I really meant a LOT. Have you ever checked the tire temperatures after riding around on the street or track? I've done it on the track, but not the street. After doing multiple laps at a moderately fast pace, my stock Pirreli tires got up to about 125 degrees F, which is nothing compared to the temp that slicks need to be at in order to perform well. Slick tires get up to 180-200 degrees in MotoGP or WSBK, but they don't last through many cycles like that. There is no way you or your buddies could come close to that on the street. There's a good reason why nobody uses slicks for the street...hence I advised the OP against it.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I'd advise against slicks because of dirt on the road. Your avatar pic shows lots of sand, ???

·
In the middle
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL...yeah there is a lot of sand in my avatar pic, from my rallying days, somewhere in Africa I think.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Guys Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated. Still a little undecided at this stage, I think i will finish off the Pirelli's and then go down the Michelin CT2's, I am guessing there will be a dimensional change in the tires so i will need a TC pod to manage the change in DTC performance....correct?
I have used the 2CT's for last 3 years and they are great. As I do more track now and less street, I will move to a Power Pure 2CT or dot tire for track mainly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts