Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after what seemed like a pretty straightforward belt change on my 2002 998, the fuel pump won't prime. Also, the low fuel level light is on even though there is plenty of fuel in the tank.

The next step is due some voltage checking, but I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts before going through that process. The fuel pump primed every time before I changed the belts, so I am thinking something isn't plugged in or an issue unbeknownst to me.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So after what seemed like a pretty straightforward belt change on my 2002 998, the fuel pump won't prime. Also, the low fuel level light is on even though there is plenty of fuel in the tank.

The next step is due some voltage checking, but I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts before going through that process. The fuel pump primed every time before I changed the belts, so I am thinking something isn't plugged in or an issue unbeknownst to me.

Thanks in advance.

So I fixed that problem (bad connection). Now, I can't get the bike to stay at idle. It will run but won't maintain a constant idle. Any ideas?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I rechecked the timing and the vertical cylinder was off by less than a tooth. I am in the process of taking the belts back off and redoing them. Hopefully no major damage. It was certainly my mistake but part of the problem was my timing marks had rubbed off because the paint pen I had sucked.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can't be less than a tooth. It's off by a tooth (or 2 or 3) but not by half or third of a tooth.
Yeah you are correct, it was off by a tooth. I took everything apart again, put the belts back on with correct timing, and it started immediately and idled perfectly. I let it run for a while with no issue.

It was definitely a learning experience, and as you might guess, my first time changing the belts on my 998. I changed timing belts on an old Porsche 944 a few years ago, but that is the only other time I have changed timing belts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts