Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
+1. Nothing needs changing. I've had my M900 Monster for 24 years, and haven't changed much. If'n it ain't broke, dont fix it.

PhilB

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
Change your mind about wanting to change anything! :laugh:

Reactions: 9finger

·
Registered
442 Posts
I second maybe some lighter wheels and possibly rear shock upgrade.

Reactions: wmfleet2

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
If you have to change something, lighter wheels.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Hi,
I don't see the Marchesini wheels on Motowheels site. Can you give me any help locating them?

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
The Marchesini ones listed on Motowheels website won't fit your bike, but you might email them or call - they don't always list the vintage stuff on their website. And they have lots of used wheels in great condition.

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
A better shock
fork springs and new compression valves for the forks

Forged aluminum wheels are nice and hold resale value well.

other than that just keep it maintained and enjoy it, you could always go down the modification route which is often ...
944 kit
Keihin FCR carbs
Light wheels
Suspension mods/changes
light weight to maximize this bikes strengths (light bolts brackets,bodywork, fuel tank)
do not forget the cheap and effective mods of lower gearing (up 2-3 teeth on rear sprocket) and a light flywheel.

Many that own these bikes get to the above list over many years so you do not feel the $$ as much, some items are creeping up in price so it hurts more to do them but keep an eye out for used items. Riding supersports that are built as above are hard to get rid of and not just because the amount of money you have into them but because the combination of light weight and a torque-centric powerband makes for a very enjoyable ride that holds up very well to modern bikes in grin factor.

·
Registered
503 Posts
A better shock
fork springs and new compression valves for the forks

Forged aluminum wheels are nice and hold resale value well.

other than that just keep it maintained and enjoy it, you could always go down the modification route which is often ...
944 kit
Keihin FCR carbs
Light wheels
Suspension mods/changes
light weight to maximize this bikes strengths (light bolts brackets,bodywork, fuel tank)
do not forget the cheap and effective mods of lower gearing (up 2-3 teeth on rear sprocket) and a light flywheel.

Many that own these bikes get to the above list over many years so you do not feel the $$ as much, some items are creeping up in price so it hurts more to do them but keep an eye out for used items. Riding supersports that are built as above are hard to get rid of and not just because the amount of money you have into them but because the combination of light weight and a torque-centric powerband makes for a very enjoyable ride that holds up very well to modern bikes in grin factor.

Yep, otherwise someone might go completely crazy with it :)

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for that list of recommended mods, ducvet. I'm considering buying a '91-'92 900 SS and now I know what to look for!

·
Premium Member
5,197 Posts
Lol

Oz
I will see if I have a more recent photo after I added magnesium wheels,GSXR forks and a custom Doug Cook exhaust. In that picture it had a de-stroked 900 motor now it has a 985. Next? who knows I may go back smaller motor but I have not played with that bike in about 5 years. Keep in mind "Chucky" was/is a monster not an SS, I am working on my carby 750ss these days and have a Doug Cook rat bike project in the works.

KenTx
there are good starting point bikes out there and you will often pay less buying one with all the goodies that putting them on yourself so even if you pay a slight premium over a stock bike price you should save in the long run if you are going to build something.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Lol

Oz
I will see if I have a more recent photo after I added magnesium wheels,GSXR forks and a custom Doug Cook exhaust. In that picture it had a de-stroked 900 motor now it has a 985. Next? who knows I may go back smaller motor but I have not played with that bike in about 5 years. Keep in mind "Chucky" was/is a monster not an SS, I am working on my carby 750ss these days and have a Doug Cook rat bike project in the works.
Hi Eric,

Yeah, I remember he was a monster and a very cool one. That's from my collection of pics from the BCM trackday at VIR, circa 2004. Awesome trip...

Oz

·
Registered
1,205 Posts

ok, mehbe too much red.. looking plastic. get serious: carbon fiber front fender & belt covers, and go back to OEM black mirrors. I'd also go with a proper billet alum open clutch cover.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Ignitec ignition
FastBikeGear hall effect ignition unit which will then allow you to run a 360grm fuel injection flywheel from Nichols manufacturing
FCR41mm carbs with FBG throttle position sensor kit or convert to 45mm fuel injection
Shrick high torque cams
High compression pistons with Total seal top piston rings
Jpercision flowed heads
Fox performance lightened crank with matching Carillo rods
Full performance exhaust system (2-1 is heaps lighter)
Full carbon body work, Fnt Guard, rear hugger, rear tail unit, enlarged airbox with ducting, heel guard, foot rests, side fairings, rear seat fairings, and tank
Luimoto seat upholstery fitted to carbon fibre seat base.
Uprated fnt forks or Ohlins
Matching BST or Dymag carbon wheels
Carbon Braketech rotors

That should be enough of a mortgage for you...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Haha, thanks for the compliment, I don't get them everyday. As well as the red wheels, get rid of the red peg mounts, the red clutch cover, the red belt covers, the red reservoirs, the red non- matching mirrors and the red levers. Non of these items match the Ducati red of the body and certainly don't complement it. It looks like an adolescents first poor efforts at customization. I have witnessed, over more than fifty years, many "stylistic geniuses" efforts at "improving" classic 2 and 4 wheel vehicles. They tastelessly accessorize a fine machine to the point where even they can't stand to look at it. At that point it's wheeled into the shed to rust in peace. Even the Termignoni on that thing looks abysmal.

:wink2: Phil Boncer's Ducati looks like crap too, but it has an excuse. It was ridden for 260,000 miles. How many miles did it take you to devalue and turn this machine to crap.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts