Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
It's a shame, but from what I've heard from a friend who owns a vintage Norton and moves in Norton circles, he was abusing his client base somewhat! His customer service was very poor and he had a habit of using his customers as beta testers, with little help in return when things went wrong.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I really liked the stylng of the bike, it had a great retro feel. That said, I think Norton made the same mistake that Indian made; they came into a very competetive market with a very high priced machine. Indian tried to compete head to head with Harley with what essentially is a dressed up Harley clone and then tried to offer the bikes at higher prices. Norton built a copy of an old Norton, dressed up with some nice bits and then tried to sell them at $20K a pop. I don't think that many people will spend a bunch of cash for something a competitor sells cheaper, and is reliable. With no dealer infrastructure and local support, it is difficult for a company to compete head to head with an established player. I think anyone who wants to start up a motor company needs to offer either something very different and exotic, or they need to offer up a similar product at a bargain price (which is difficult to do). Either way though, I am not a huge fan of resurecting a dead motor company in hopes the name will carry it. I would much rather they start from scratch with a new name and develop an identity.

·
Registered
395 Posts
That sucks, I just got through reading the article in CW on the test ride.
They really liked it and it had that "old" Norton bark, a very distinctive sound. Unlike the last go around I was actually getting my hopes up of purchasing one. Guess I'll have to work on my friend who still has his "72 Commando, redone but unused, under wraps in his garage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.