Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago I used to love golf. I played all the time. I'd leave work early just to get in 18 before sunset. I even ran a small league of sorts. That was about 11 or 12 years ago. Last Saturday, my son had some money burning a hole in his pocket, so he went out and bought Tiger Woods Something-or-other for X-Box. I haven't stopped playing it since.

I got to thinking...when was the last time I played golf? I've been to the driving range a couple of times, but I think the last actual round of golf I played was back in 1996. Ten years.

I was never very good -- far from it, in fact. Going back to the game will most likely be like starting over from scratch. But since money is so tight for me this year and I can't really afford track days at $200 a pop, I think maybe I'll pick up golf again. I can get around 18 at a couple of courses here locally for about $20 or so if I walk instead of renting a cart.
Anyone want to go sometime? You'd have to be willing to play with a rusty old fart who will probably average like 120 on 18 for the first few times out. I think I'll probably be bringing my 14 year old along, too, so he'll likely be as newb as I will. It'd be fun to have a couple more to make a regular foursome, though.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I think you need to spend some time in the arcade pumping quarters into Golden Tee before going back out on the course....and as far as $20 a round....I'd be surprised if you could get away that cheaply...seems like even the community public courses with greens fees and everything are at a minimum of $40 a round....though it may be a bit of a difference between the left coast and the right coast!...

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
Prior to becoming addicted to sportbikes, I was addicted to golf. Haven't played in a couple years. During a state tourniment had the pleasure to beat a former California Public Links Champion in one round. That was it, I shot a 73 and he screwed up with a 74. Needless to say he found his game the next day and I was history. I slipped to a 79 the next day, could have been worst had I not chipped it in off the 18th green.

I didn't want any part of golf when I started riding again and especially in light of the experiences I've had at the track. I tried once and simply walked off after 3 holes, boring. However, since I crashed out in Nov, my outlook about riding has changed and I'm now thinking about going back to golf. In fact the technology has moved ahead with some stuff that I think would be perfect for my game. Tourniment play was as close to thrilling as it gets so maybe I'll try more of that. However, unknown whether that can happen with my shoulder and knee being shattered as a result of the accident. Possible good news is the fact my orthopedic told me he burred the bone around the shoulder ball to give the shoulder more flexibility. Maybe that will translate into more range of motion with the swing. I told a former golfing partner of mine this and he wanted to sign up for a quadruple burr job!

Rob, depends where you want to play, but a good city/county course will be around $30. Not bad really, still reasonable here. You can go to dog tracks like Indian Creek for way less, but to be honest, not bad if you are just getting back and don't want to spend a lot of dough and have your son with you at the same time. Weekday golf is cheaper, as you know. There are coupons posted weekly in the paper too.

Golf is life as many would say. Its a love/hate relationship, a violent game from within. However, my game will be a walk in the park from now on. I'll pay attention to the grass, trees, squirrels, fresh air, friends, etc. I don't care about the score anymore, for now...

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Some of my old hacking-and-slashing grounds are Diamond Oaks, Woodcreek Oaks, Haggin Oaks, and Cherry Island. D.O. is cheapest at $29, W.O. the most at $40. But both have twilight rates < $20.

Even at $40 for 18 with another $26 for a cart, I can play 3 rounds for what one T-Hill track day would cost. :) Not quite as much fun, perhaps, but I wouldn't be doing it for the excitement. I suck too bad to get excited. Mostly it'd be to get out of the house for a few hours and walk around the course playing hide-and-seek with the last tee-shot I shanked. :eek:

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
zooom said:
I think you need to spend some time in the arcade pumping quarters into Golden Tee before going back out on the course....and as far as $20 a round....I'd be surprised if you could get away that cheaply...seems like even the community public courses with greens fees and everything are at a minimum of $40 a round....though it may be a bit of a difference between the left coast and the right coast!...
*sigh* I remember the good ole days when I was living in Arlington, Mass. There was a 9-hole Muni course just over the Cambridge line where we could play 9 holes for $6 or 18 for $7. My bro and I used to go there all the time. It was open year-round -- I've played in the rain and the sun, and even with 3" of snow on the ground and all the water hazards frozen solid. That was a hoot -- but God help you if all you had were white golf balls!!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Zooom .. public courses on the right side suck compared to this coast. I moved here from B-more and never looked back. Actaully, come to think of it, I really hated Baltimore. Still know bunch of people over there and my old roomie has a 748 and another friend 748s.

If you ever go riding you should look up my ol' roommate, he's always looking for people to ride with and never can find anyone. Maybe it's beacause most of the year it's too hot and humid or too cold to ride. That other 748s sits in a garge all the time. I don't think it was started in a year, shit I don't think it has 3,000 miles on it. My friend bought it just to say he's got a Duc ..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts